• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Death to Han Solo!

Should Lucas have allowed Han Solo to die in Return of the Jedi?

• Yes, sacrificing Han would have been a more dramatic, satisfying conclusion to his character.

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • No, killing his character off would have been far too dark.

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In late summer of 2010, Gary Kurtz gave an interview on a topic he does not often discuss, Star Wars and how he parted with George Lucas. In that interview Kurtz discussed the original outline for Episode 6 in which Han Solo would have died mid-film. Harrison Ford himself has said himself that he lobbied Lucas to have Solo sacrifice himself to help the Rebels achieve victory, which would have completed his character arc.

So Star Wars fans, what say you on this topic? Was that too dark?

I think it would have been perfect. I love me some Han Solo, but to have him end up dying for the cause, after playing coy to it for so long would really have had an impact. When Leon died in Leon/The Professional, it was a triumphant and saddening moment. I was heartbroken to see him die, but I wouldn't for a second consider changing it.

I voted yes, but only if Han would have died in a brave way, saving the day by his sacrifice.

I vote No. It might have made for a better ROTJ, but Timothy Zahn showed in his wonderful Thrawn trilogy that even a married and politically responsible/governmental-representative Han can continue to be charming, badass, and colorful. There were other things Lucas could have done to give Ford stuff to do - like have him meet an old flame-turned Rebel, maybe, who would force him to choose between herself and Leia.

I would have liked to have seen him die too, but then I like dark themes to my films.

howzabout han turning on the alliance (including the care bears) and then being assassinated by heavy-hearted luke and leia. . . . daz dark.

not something i would have wanted to see. just throwing it out there into the parallel universe.

If the script were different in other ways, sure. But if the only difference is Han dies, that does nothing for me. It'd as useless as Scott's death in X-Men III.

Scott's death was only useless because they gave him nothing to do in any of the films (not really being give the leader role) and so they could have easily written him out on a sabbtical to recover from Jean's loss. If done right Han's death would have been the bravest and saddest feat Star wars would have pulled.

I prefer Lando meeting his maker - although I cannot imagine the loads of black guy getting killed jokes afterwards

Maybe...but we do see a black guy being killed in RotJ. Only nerds seem to remember him though. ;)

I voted no based on the movie that exists but might very well change my mind if I read the original script.

Uncanny Antman said:
If the script were different in other ways, sure. But if the only difference is Han dies, that does nothing for me. It'd as useless as Scott's death in X-Men III.

The original concept of Jedi was that Han would sacrifice himself, completing his arc, that once defeating the Emperor and saving his Father, Luke would ride off into the sunset to contemplate the futre of the Jedi order, and left Leia alone to deal with becoming the Queen-leader of the fledgling new republic.

Regarding the possible confusion of killing a character who had just been rescued probably an hour before, I can see that on the one hand it could seem odd, but I think it still could have worked. Han's character arc is one that moves from selfish and skeptic mercenary, to reluctant hero and finally one that believes in something greater than himself. In the original concept his belief becomes so strong that he does a 180 from A New Hope and sacrifices himself, i.e. suicide. The key is why/how he dies. Just killing him in a random explosion would have been pointless, but if he willingly sacrifices himself to save something, or more specifically someone, then his death has meaning and is compelling.

In the novelizations, Han's character goes through this metamorphosis in which he internally recognizes that the Rebellion is something bigger than any individual, and that it brings out the best in people which is proven to him when the friends he has made rescue him at the beginning of Jedi, he realizes that you can trust people and be part of something bigger than yourself, his facing death and his friends rescuing him from that death should be the catalyst that makes him new character. This is his arc, but his character is reduced to nothing more than a nutered joke in Jedi. He's passive and for the most part inconsequential to the story.

If I were writing the concluding chapter, Han would sacrifice himself not only to help the Rebellion, but it would have to be in order to save Leia specifically. The best stories have the characters motivated by something personal. Sure it would be great to have Han sacrifice himself to save the Rebellion, but what he really needs is to save Leia who is trying to save the Rebellion. By saving her, he saves the Rebellion. This is in essence, Luke's journey, he really is saving his father and by doing so, he is helping the Rebellion. To look at an example that is outside the Star Wars universe, the thing that makes Die Hard one of the best action movies ever isn't the action by itself, but the hero John McClane. He's not trying to stop the bad-guys specifically, he's trying to save his wife. His motivations are tied to an emotional investment. His personal motivations translate on the screen, make him relatable and give the audience something to root for because we all have that person in our lives we would die for that we can project and make the story personal.

The amazing thing is that this was Lucas' original concept, back when he had angst, anger and passion. After the success of Star Wars, Empire and the Indy franchise, along with his becoming a father I think he lost that perspective. My opinion is that he lost the fire in his belly and simply lost interest in the form of stories in which risk and reward could be tied together. He'd gotten a rather happy ending of his own with financial and critical success, he'd proven the studios wrong in his mind, and he had his children, life was good and the story that he wanted to tell wasn't of the individual bucking the system, because that was no longer his story, his story had become the happy ending.

L8wrtr said:
Han's character arc is one that moves from selfish and skeptic mercenary, to reluctant hero and finally one that believes in something greater than himself... but his character is reduced to nothing more than a neutered joke in Jedi. He's passive and for the most part inconsequential to the story.
The fact that he freely chooses to join the Rebel mission, when he could have walked away, completes that very arc; his death might be more emotionally affecting, but it wouldn't advance the character beyond what we actually got. IMHO. ;)

I thought of suggesting sacrificing Lando, but apart from the black guy thing, he's also awesome in the Thrawn trilogy, so that's a no-go for me also. :)

I just watched Episode IV about an hour ago (Ady's version of course) and the logical arc however is one of sacrifice. Han is criticized for being selfish several times, it's his defining character trait, his tragic flaw. Taking care of himself is what he does best after all. Yes, he comes to the rescue at the end, but we all know he had the easy part. Vader was just waiting to be picked off there ;) (and he missed).

But Empire clearly sets up that he is not completely on board with the Alliance, and he only fully commits to the Alliance in Jedi AFTER Jabba is dead, which was one of the forces driving his self-serving agenda, protect himself first. That he commits himself to the Rebellion after the threat to himself has been eliminated isn't a major leap in his character, it's a safe leap.

Now, I'm not saying that the only acceptable direction is his sacrifice, there are other ways to have had him really cement his growth, but we didn't get any satisfying action from him in Jedi, he is the single-most passive, and also ineffective character. 3PO has more contributions to their success than Han.

Ultimately though, I think that if we remove our sentimentality from it and just look at good story technique, sacrifice at some level is what his character arc calls for.

Definitely yes, and now we're at it, please let it happen in a movie that deserves such dramatic tension and contains zero (0) teddy bears.

HAN: I love you.
LEIA: I know...

LEIA shoots Han.

;)

TV's Frink said:
HAN: I love you.
LEIA: I know...

LEIA shoots Han.

;)

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Ridiculousness already has an ending! :-D

episode vii subplot: ewoks are the source of a crippling sexually transmitted infection.

leia gives it to han. han passes it on to chewbacca.

:shock:

I don't think I want to watch that version.

Back
Top Bottom