• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Copying HDR Metadata onto other footage?

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm going to sound like a complete noob when I say this, but is there any way to add HDR metadata to, say, 1080p deleted scene footage, or other footage that's not HDR?

I've created a 4K HDR editing setup that works very well for me, and if the source file has HDR metadata then I am able to export it to great results with the same black/white & color data with Premiere Pro. Unfortunately the problems start when I attempt to use outside footage like deleted scenes.

For example I'm working on a 4K version of @tremault's Thor 4 fanedit (with her gracious permission and assistance), but since she uses DaVinci, I am unable to export some motion tracked footage with the color data. Oddly, DaVinci is able to export the HDR-level black/white data but not the color data, resulting in similar contrast to the source film but without the color. This is why I resorted to using my familiar Premiere setup to export the edit, but the rest of the non-HDR footage remain, including motion-tracked effects shots.

Is there any way to do this?

I'm going to sound like a complete noob when I say this, but is there any way to add HDR metadata to, say, 1080p deleted scene footage, or other footage that's not HDR?

I've created a 4K HDR editing setup that works very well for me, and if the source file has HDR metadata then I am able to export it to great results with the same black/white & color data with Premiere Pro. Unfortunately the problems start when I attempt to use outside footage like deleted scenes.

For example I'm working on a 4K version of @tremault's Thor 4 fanedit (with her gracious permission and assistance), but since she uses DaVinci, I am unable to export some motion tracked footage with the color data. Oddly, DaVinci is able to export the HDR-level black/white data but not the color data, resulting in similar contrast to the source film but without the color. This is why I resorted to using my familiar Premiere setup to export the edit, but the rest of the non-HDR footage remain, including motion-tracked effects shots.

Is there any way to do this?
Not sure if it will help but you can sometimes find the correct meta data numbers online by googling for it

This is why I resorted to using my familiar Premiere setup
I would strongly recommend not using Premiere for HDR edits which involve any non-HDR footage, e.g., deleted scenes in SDR. The best solution is to do the 4K edit in Resolve (paid version) and convert the whole thing to SDR using Resolve's Dolby Vision tools. Perhaps it is possible to keep it as HDR in Resolve and to use the color space transform tool on the SDR footage.

Trying these types of actions in Premiere will begin a lesson in misery.

I would strongly recommend not using Premiere for HDR edits which involve any non-HDR footage, e.g., deleted scenes in SDR. The best solution is to do the 4K edit in Resolve (paid version) and convert the whole thing to SDR using Resolve's Dolby Vision tools. Perhaps it is possible to keep it as HDR in Resolve and to use the color space transform tool on the SDR footage.

Trying these types of actions in Premiere will begin a lesson in misery.

Interesting. How miserable is Premiere in this regard, could you elaborate?

Also, is DaVinci Resolve Studio a one-time payment, or is it an annual subscription like Premiere? Apparently it is one time... Or rather, do you have to pay for each upgraded version of Resolve Studio (though I suppose I wouldn't need to do that if Resolve Studio 18 works for me for instance).

I'm just wondering if this is a worthwile investment--I've been editing with Premiere for years now and working on Resolve a little with tremault's Love and Thunder edit already extremely disoriented me, although, I suppose I could customize it to my own liking, or get used to it over time?

You've piqued my interest 😁

EDIT: Does Resolve not support m2ts files? EDIT 2: Apparently not lol.

Also:

^Well, shit... I might bite the bullet 😬

EDIT 3: I think my only reservation would be that the cache files end up being quite large and takes up a huge amount of space (on the other hand, I did just buy an SSD so that shouldn't be a problem for me)

Last edited:
Premiere is so behind the curve in processing HDR, it does not support Dolby Vision natively. That fact alone should give a user interested in 4K UHD HDR sources pause. Working in HDR in Premiere can lead to awful color shifts, i.e., wrong hues at the white point, etc. it’s a cascading chain of errors that become futile to try and correct in it’s less than adequate color grading dials. That said, Premiere is decent for SDR sources and is highly stable (until it’s not and it’s renders crash).

One should also consider the bugs in both Premiere and Resolve.

Premiere is more professionally crafted/coded and when it works feels more reliable and solid. You know if you have an audio plugin, it’s going to work properly and many of the built in audio effects are best in class.

Resolve on the other hand can feel a lot less stable and be much buggier. It’s built in audio effects are decent to awful. And audio plugins can be hit or miss. I’d recommend always trying a demo version of any plugin before commiting to buying the plugin.

The main difference with the bugs is this:
When Premiere gets buggy it can be catastrophic with no ways to overcome the bugs.
When Resolve gets buggy, it is for dumb things (like it forgets to process fade in/ out points) that shouldn’t have bugs, but the issues can be overcome with relatively easy workarounds.

@krausfadr Do you think I can edit the whole thing in Premiere, then convert the project to a Resolve project? I'm way more used to editing in Premiere but would like to attempt these things I've mentioned as well. @DonkeyKonga has apparently encountered no issues with making and exporting 4K HDR edits with Premiere btw, although without outside SDR sources afaik (which is probably also what I'll be doing at first)

Premiere is so behind the curve in processing HDR, it does not support Dolby Vision natively. That fact alone should give a user interested in 4K UHD HDR sources pause. Working in HDR in Premiere can lead to awful color shifts, i.e., wrong hues at the white point, etc. it’s a cascading chain of errors that become futile to try and correct in it’s less than adequate color grading dials. That said, Premiere is decent for SDR sources and is highly stable (until it’s not and it’s renders crash).
I can speak from experience that working with HDR stuff in Premiere is basically just tweaking stuff and hoping it looks good in export. There is also no documentation anywhere on how to export properly. Each film has (afaik) it's own nit values and whatnot. Not to mention I have zero clue as to what the diffference is between PQ2021 and PQ2020 (if there is any at all),

TLDR: Prepare for a headache when working with HDR in premiere. I don't see myself ever doing it again lmao. Odds are my edits look way different than the original material. I'm colorblind so I honestly can't even verify (nor does my tv, nor premiere pro support DV). I just hope for the best.

Last edited:
My last experience with Premiere a few years ago was it was not good for or even close to ready for HDR. That could have changed recently. But I have my reservations.

My last experience with Premiere a few years ago was it was not good for or even close to ready for HDR. That could have changed recently. But I have my reservations.

I tried recently to get some 4k discs into a project and couldn't get consistent color, had to convert them using ffmpeg first to get a consistent result because Premiere was all over the place on how it wanted to interpret the files, and none of the settings seemed to properly represent the color I would see in a video player if I just played one of the files. So unless there's some secret that I was missing, it's still as bad as you remember, which doesn't surprise me given the basic xml export bugs that haven't been fixed in a decade.

Whoah, I think I accidentally solved my problem doing HDR on Premiere. I’ll have to test it of course

Back
Top Bottom