• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Cool Library of Congress film preservation article

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw this on Creative Cow last night, but I didn't get around to reading it until a little while ago. It's one of the most interesting articles I've read in a long time.

It's about how the Library of Congress plans to preserve its massive film collection for literally thousands of years.

It touches on all kinds of things, from nitrate to paper prints, from Edison to Méliès, from optimal storage conditions for various media to why film might be a better long-term preservation medium than digital. Very thought-provoking and highly, highly recommended reading.

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/the-library-of-congress-unlocks-the-ultimate-archive-system

That's beyond cool, not to mention right up my alley! Looking forward to reading it! Thanks!

That was a fascinating read. I especially appreciate how they realize that the storage technologies we use today will eventually become outdated and therefore the need to preserve the original film stock.

Of course this means for faneditors that if they want their work to survive the next couple hundreds of years, they have to transfer their work onto 35mm. 8)

tfpreservation.jpg

fascinating.

Of course, that's why my dad bought like 10 laser disk players, kind of a life-time supply of a dying technology so he'd still be able to watch his hundreds of laser disks.

Back
Top Bottom