• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Converting 4:3 or 2.39:1 to 16:9 Without Cropping

VortexUnlimited

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What would be the best way to mimic 16:9 using 4:3 or 2.39:1 without cropping? Of course, stretching the video would be the only possible way to do this, but is there a way one could hide the stretch, trying to make the footage look as natural as possible, at least in the center of the frame? Perhaps a gradual stretch that keeps the middle mostly untouched while the edges get affected the most. Any ideas on how to go about this?

Cropping is the only way that makes sense and only way it should be ever done.
Everything else is basically instant fail which I consider unwatchable.

When I've converted widescreen to 4:3 or something similar before, I've cropped it all and re-framed shot-by-shot but I've also then horizontally squashed a few shots when there was no option. As long as it's subtle, nobody will notice... but then if it's subtle you can't do much with it. Generally any kind of squashing or stretching should be avoided like the plague though.

I've also split shots before and then moved the two halves closer together but there aren't many occasions where that's going to be possible, or useful. The camera in the shot would need to be locked off for a start. I made that suggestion on this project, which has had some success: https://forums.fanedit.org/threads/the-thing-from-1951.20347/post-365718

I think this is the sort of thing you are thinking of, where the outer parts of the frame are distorted but not the bit you're paying attention to. I did a quick mockup:

52671283241_c1d69ab492_z.jpg

But the amount of shots this will be doable on (and even on this ^ it's not great) would be minimal. To do this I squashed the whole shot horizontally by about 50%, then placed it on a transparent layer over the original shot, then found points where the two lined up on the right side and erased the join. The left hand side was slightly cropped too. If you can find a tool to do a smooth gradual distortion, that would be a lot easier.

I notice quite a few old Hong Kong movies did this anyway with distorted lenses to make the middle of the frame bigger/closer, or to put it another way, fit more in on the sides:

18791_4_large.jpg

18647_35_large.jpg

Last edited:
My Windows Media Center PCs used to have a built-in option that did this. I found that it worked best on animation, where the minor distortions were less apparent. It also wasn't too bad on sitcoms, but on any kind of drama or action movie, it was awful. The more horizontal motion you have in your scene, the worse it gets.

I've also split shots before and then moved the two halves closer together but there aren't many occasions where that's going to be possible, or useful. The camera in the shot would need to be locked off for a start. I made that suggestion on this project, which has had some success: https://forums.fanedit.org/threads/the-thing-from-1951.20347/post-365718

I think this is the sort of thing you are thinking of, where the outer parts of the frame are distorted but not the bit you're paying attention to. I did a quick mockup

So umm... you working on a secret edit of The Birds? šŸ§

Also, the tips you gave me for reframing in that project have expanded my horizons on fanediting exponentially. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom