• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Controversial Fanedits

Whatever happened to Ivan after his fanedit was released?
You think he would have filmed that fight and fixed the technical issues, but I guess it was too much for him?
He ran away with all the money he grifted from his loyal followers, before they could realize it was all a scam. Like a cult leader after their "end of the world" prophecy turns out to be bogus. ;)

Wow, that Star Wars idea seems, yeah, controversial as hell!

As far as some of the controversy being in actual reactions to or discussions of fanedits... can I just say I think what's generally happening on this site these days seems really positive and evolved? Maybe it's just the world as a whole learning that things sound different in writing online compared to when you just say them face-to-face. But it feels like the process of getting feedback on fanedits and working to improve them is pretty positive now. There's a lot of paying attention to not only what is said, but how it's said, and sometimes that makes all the difference.

Maybe it's just the world as a whole learning that things sound different in writing online compared to when you just say them face-to-face.
I've only recently realised how strange it is that people get super angry/passionate about movies online.
I think it all started with Nostalgia Critic screaming about bad movies for entertainment. Back then we all knew it was a joke, but I feel like little-by-little people have forgotten that over the years.
I used to think things like: How dare that studio make a movie that wasn't very good!"
"How dare that person think a movie is terrible when I think it's great!"
And, to be honest, I don't really remember why I cared. It's probably just a vicious cycle of people getting defensive when they feel insulted.
I didn't realise how weird it had gotten until I saw three separate YouTube comments comparing season 3 of Picard being surprisingly good to "An abusive spouse playing nice for the police" (And they were saying that about something they thought was GOOD)

I like to think a lot of people are coming to this realisation. It definitely seems to me like there's less anger in the way people talk about media these days.

^I hear what you're saying. I think there's a certain element of performativeness in some open online environments too, where people want their comments to draw affirmation. And for some people, negative attention is better than no attention. So the kind of language used gets all out of proportion and inflammatory, things you would never say face-to-face in a conversation with someone, like your Picard example.

Also though, when you're on a site like this, I think the level of personal passion and involvement is at a much higher end of the curve than for the general public. People who aren't passionate about movies don't spend their free time on a film fanediting site! lol The trick is to not let that passion become personally reactive. I mean, I absolute do mentally judge someone if they don't "get" the greatness of my favorite films, and I think they're a horrible human being for it. Only now, I just restrain myself from actually typing that out, and say instead "Different strokes for different folks", or nothing. But I quietly simmer and plan their death in an embarrassing and public fashion as I drift off to sleep at night... ;)

I mean, I absolute do mentally judge someone if they don't "get" the greatness of my favorite films, and I think they're a horrible human being for it. Only now, I just restrain myself from actually typing that out, and say instead "Different strokes for different folks", or nothing. But I quietly simmer and plan their death in an embarrassing and public fashion as I drift off to sleep at night... ;)

We disagree on film a lot, so I guess I must be on your list! Remind me never to meet up with you IRL... :ROFLMAO:

We disagree on film a lot, so I guess I must be on your list! Remind me never to meet up with you IRL... :ROFLMAO:
lol I never think of our little discussions as true disagreements. I've gotten the impression that broadly we enjoy the same things. We may quibble about which is better or worse, or why something works better or not, but I don't recall anything like you slandering Roger Deakins or trying to convince me that Blonde was actually the best film of 2022. :p

Now, here's a controversial fan edit idea: The Lord of the Rings.

No, not the Peter Jackson movies. Nor the 1978 animated flick.

I'm talking the actual books, Tolkien's words - and he was wordy. A whole lot of genealogical talk could be trimmed, as could some of the overly flowery dialogue in general. Of course, one could easily remove Tom Bombadil, and have Arwen bring Frodo to Rivendell. And maybe make Merry or Pippin female? And, come on - I think we can all agree Boromir and Gimli were known to mutter an f-bomb here and there. :ROFLMAO:

One may or may not be able to sneak such a file past the cheap (and high-quality) book printing services online, but one could definitely make a PDF version for Kindles and other e-readers.

(This post is mostly kidding, and no offense to any serious LotR fans is intended.) :p

I'm talking the actual books, Tolkien's words - and he was wordy. A whole lot of genealogical talk could be trimmed, as could some of the overly flowery dialogue in general. Of course, one could easily remove Tom Bombadil, and have Arwen bring Frodo to Rivendell. And maybe make Merry or Pippin female? And, come on - I think we can all agree Boromir and Gimli were known to mutter an f-bomb here and there. :ROFLMAO:

One may or may not be able to sneak such a file past the cheap (and high-quality) book printing services online, but one could definitely make a PDF version for Kindles and other e-readers.

(This post is mostly kidding, and no offense to any serious LotR fans is intended.) :p
While we're at it, why not paraphrase a bit... why bother using his actual written words at all?
Oh wait this is just a new definition for cliffnotes

Don't give Amazon or Embracer Group any ideas...
They already have enough bad ones already.

Allow me to be really nerdy for a second, but this is often done when theaters produce Shakespeare plays. Rarely is a Shakespearean play done word for word, because the plays would all be 4+ hours long. As an actor, I've worked on numerous productions where the director selectively cut the script while maintaining the original meter. Shakespeare wrote almost all of his dialog in iambic pentameter (10 syllables), so making sure to maintain that when cutting the text is a genuinely artistic skill, in my opinion. Cutting scenes out but maintaining the narrative flow and important plot and character development beats is a genuinely fun experiment if you're ever interested in toying with "fan editing" text. Shakespeare's work is also royalty free so you could pull up any and all of his texts in their entirety right here on the internet.

A good number of faneditor MANIAC's edits including his earliest efforts such as a condensed version of A Serbian Film and his most recent more radical cut of A Clockwork Orange are highly controversial due to subject matter, added explicit content, and the selection of films he chooses to edit. Amazing editor and choices nonetheless.

A good number of faneditor MANIAC's edits including his earliest efforts such as a condensed version of A Serbian Film and his most recent more radical cut of A Clockwork Orange are highly controversial due to subject matter, added explicit content, and the selection of films he chooses to edit. Amazing editor and choices nonetheless.
Reeve has asked that we not continue to discuss Maniac's work here as he was banned for violating our OTS rule by using pirated sources.

Back
Top Bottom