• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Thanks for your thoughtful reviews, guys. I truly appreciate your input.

As for the "quick fade" that has been mentioned... it was intentional. I originally had it as a cut-to-black, followed by a fade-up of the planet earth, but felt that I needed to fade just the last few frames to match the fade-up. Perhaps a cut to black would have worked better. In either case, the quick fade out or cut to black was meant to punctuate her statement, "Because I can't!"

Right now I'm just taking everyone's comments under consideration. I do value everyone's opinions, so I hope the reviews will continue to pour in, especially after the edit gets its own page on the site.

Edit: Also, I do hope some will choose to download the DVD9 version, as I'm anxious to see what people think of the animated menus, transitions, etc... although they are a separate consideration from the edit itself.

Thanks again!

I D/L'd this last night while I was out to dinner with my wife. I was able to watch about 5-6 minutes of it before going to bed.

The video quality is 10/10. I streamed this D/L from my network to my OLED 55in TV and it looked flawless! I am very anxious to sit down and watch the remainder of the movie.

****SPOILER ALERT *****

Also, I really liked the way the edit opens - with Ellie giving the tours of the VLA to the school kids (originally happens at the end of the movie). I am not yet sure if I like the next scene - the James Woods Senate hearing. I don't know either way - I need to watch the rest of the edit - I am 50/50 on this scene ....

Cool, looks like this has finally gotten its page on FE. Wooo... now I feel all official 'n stuff... lol. :p

Please post all reviews on the official page of the edit. It would be cool if those who have already posted reviews in this thread could also post them on the page... no worries either way. Thanks!

I have d/l'd this twice now and each time I go to unpack it (using WinRAR), I get an error message that File 16 is corrupt ... I just tried it again a few minutes ago and the same thing ... anyone else having this issue with the download?

I didn't realize this was happening as I d/l'd last night - the image file will still open, but I only get 55 minutes of the movie ... ugh ....

Fixed file 16, UnknwnFactor. File 24 had a problem, too, which is also now fixed. I sent you a PM.

If anyone else is having trouble, contact me via PM.

Excellent, I will re-attempt again. Also, I should have mentioned File 30 as well. Can you please check that one?

Even though I had issues with these two files, MagicISO was still able to extract the .img to allow me to watch the first 55 mins. I am dying to watch the end your edit! :D

UPDATE: Disregard this post. After all the attempts to get a clean D/L, it was MY File30 that was corrupt. Ultimist has fixed Files 16 and 24. I have a good D/L of the edit now and am about to sit down and watch the last 20 minutes or so .... oooooh, I can't wait to see how he handles the end .... :D

Just finished watching the edit. Outstanding work, Ultimist!

Well worth my time!

Thank you for being patient with me and the whole RS link-corrupted files issue - RS occasionally has the problem with a bad upload.

I made sure to leave you a review for your edit.

Ok, here is my review of this fanedit. SPOILERS BELOW!
Now as a way of setting this up I must mention that i don't know Ultimist, I don't hold any hatred or animosity towards him.
Now my opinion may at times come across as being unduly harsh and insensitive.
But that is not my intention. I am really trying to share. And after all, it's just my opinion.
Where I could I have suggestions to fix problems.
So Ultimist if you are ready for this read on...
I finally downloaded and watched this fanedit. When i first heard of it I was very enthused about it. The premise seemed sound and the source was solid. i too find parts of CONTACT a bit too... earnest?

And also the faneditor Ultimist is a new voice and new voices need to be heard.

I watched the dvd and Ultimist is certainly up for a good show. Custom motion menus with sound and even his own personalized logo are nice indications of attention to detail and to what makes the fanedit experience fun.

My only tip with these is to stay away from the spinning effect, it's very 1980s unless you are selling tickets to a Monster truck rally or doing a fanedit to LAST ACTION HERO. With CONTACT which is a very elegant film I found these a bit incongruent. You want to have the confidence that things don't always have to spin, explode or scream to have an audience's attention.

As for the edit itself?
Watching this fanedit was not unlike watching the scene in Kubrick's 2001 when the man-ape picks up the bone and starts smashing things up. It's rough, primitive, beastial but there's certainly a power, beauty and majesty to the whole thing.

The start of the film is a bit confusing since it starts with the very end with Ellie and the children and then goes to the failed result of the experiment. I found this an odd choice since by doing this there's no real drama with the experiment or the courtroom since we know Ellie will be perfectly fine and happy in about 18 months.

I would have actually started it with a very short sequence of Ellie getting into the pod, being dropped and then not going anywhere. so you put the audience in the same position as everyone on earth, as far as we know, no time has elapsed. this way you up the stakes because we saw that Ellie didn't go anywhere. The audience is in conflict with ellie, there's a mystery and we get drama.
Much later in the film you show them the entire trip from her side.

As for the rest of the first act I found it very rough. we are introduced to people, things are happening, people are yelling but I am just... confused? even though I own this film and have watched plenty of times. If anything i can tell you with this is that cutting things out is fine but there's a certain elegance to a scene that has to remain even thou you've cut things out. a sense of pacing and pausing.

To me it didn't start to feel like a story and a film until she hears the signal.

Overall I think a much lighter editing touch is whats needed. we never learn how she got to be sooo happy at the end with the kids. Her struggle between facts and faith remains unresolved.

On the positive side the image was spot on, i had no trouble with the audio and I enjoyed a lot of your artistic flair.

Who knows? if you stick with it that bone you threw in the sky could one day turn into a beautiful orbiting nuclear weapon!

This is a good review of the edit, Jorge.

Why didn't you post it as an official review under the FE (vs. here at the forum)?

I am still fairly new here and still learning the "etiquette" of how things work at FE and the Forum.

(not trying to start any issues, just want to learn ...)

I'm going to agree with Jorge on this. The beginning felt a bit awkward and the resulting ending for me had a somewhat negative result because of it. I like Jorge's idea of showing her coming through the machine as if nothing happened and no time had passed, and then showing some of the hearings. Then for the ending, I think it needs to go back to the hearings, not for a lot of it, but at least for Ellie's exclamation of having a profound experience. That scene at the hearings (and the crowd outside) is where the message of hope is most strongly felt (IMO), and without it at the end, it feels slightly empty.

How the film ends now almost makes Ellie's journey seem insignificant. Yeah, she rode the sphere thing that we spent all this money on after having contact with unearthly beings, doesn't appear anything happened, nothing to see here, moving on. Sure we saw the scenes of the hearings afterward but without a reminder (and conclusion) at the end, they are distant, unimportant pieces of a puzzle.

Outside of that I only had one other problem, and that was also as Jorge pointed out, scenes near the beginning. The relationship between Ellie and Palmer is slightly confused in this edit. They have a very brief encounter when she's working on SETI, and the next time we see Palmer years later they apparently have a friendship that is oddly close. The other characters are somewhat understandable as she works with them day to day, but with Palmer, something was missing. And the looks they give each other imply something even more.

The faith/science stuff being mostly gone is felt at times. There are a few scenes where it comes across as somewhat important, but without any basis from the rest of the film.

On a technical note, the only thing that was really jarring to me was when they were at the dinner and Ellie and Palmer were outside talking and when her phone rings the cut is awkward as it jumps to a close-up shot.

Overall, not bad, but I'll stick to the original, but I never have had a problem with the ending or the faith/science aspects.

My opinion on the original theatrical version of Contact is kind of mixed. I did like the movie, particularly from a directorial point of view, but I found a set of diverse problems within it, mostly derived from the Hollywoodization factor and trying to be more mainstream. For my tastes, I can narrow these problems down to two principal ones. Ultimist's edit, Contact: You Are Not Alone, is overall a very solid effort, but that while it effectively tones down the first of those two biggies to the point of making it practically disappear, it doesn't even address the other one. But, one thing at a time, so...

THE GOOD STUFF

-Matthew McConaughey's character being greatly reduced. THANKS! This was my problem #1, having a theologist that behaves like James Bond, a Christian of sincere faith who goes around having casual sex yet is not written as a hypocrite (it's not moral problems I have with him, I'm an active Atheist, but I like my characters believable). The romance didn't bother me per se, but his one-night-stand with Ellie and then goodbye for four years, and his overall playboy attitude did. Fortunately, Ultimist deleted most of it. There are traces left, such as the way he moves around Ellie, body language and all, in the remaining sequences, but that can't be fanedited out. It's how McConaughey plays him. I still don't know why.

-The religious angle being toned down. As a non-religious person, I'm thankful of this. It was overdone anyway, regardless of one's beliefs. In a way, it seemed to want to make everyone happy (to paraphrase Drumlin, they wouldn't want to lose 95% of their audience) and ultimately take the side of faith. This was most apparent in the "Did you love your father" sequence, that gave the last word to the believer. I also like the fact that the "Do you believe in God" part of the hearing was deleted. It's a tiny bit strange, given that Ellie's non-beliefs are never publically stated, only to Joss in private, but nonetheless the sequence had always played to me as if Ellie does actually believe in God but she won't admit it because she's a scientist. So, bye bye to that, for the better. I also like how the "faith?" part of the Ellie interview Joss watches on TV was seamlessly removed. Still, don't worry, the theme remains in the movie and is still important enough, just not overwhelming.

-The religious terrorist's first appearance cut out. Good call. He was a bit too ubiquitous in the original.

-Bill Clinton. What remains of him in the movie is more than enough. It would seem the filmmakers got a bit overexcited by being able to make an actual Presidential speech seem like it's about an alien contact, so they wanted to show it off. Boo to them.

-Hadden staying in the movie. He's one of my favorite characters, and I'm kinda puzzled to find out that he divides opinions. I'm very glad he stays.

-The removal of Ellie asking the Presidential advisor where to get a dress. Thank you! That gag was embarrassing.

-The face-morphing gone. Yeah! What's the point of hiring a great actress for the role, and then CGIng up her facial performance?

-The new color correction of the alien beach. I wasn't that bothered by the original color, weird as it was, given that those purple hues were the recurring tone of the alien-related gears, the capsule when it goes translucid looks kind of like that. But I must admit it looks much more beautiful now, while still otherworldly enough.

-Kudos for that newly recreated shot of Vega! Looks great!

-The technical quality. Top-notch. Flawless video and audio (I haven't noticed any of the supposed music distortion problems).

-The DVD presentation. The menu is as good or better than anything you'd find in a commercial release, with cover art to match.

THE NOT SO GOOD STUFF

-I must agree here with my fellow reviewers who commented on the fadeins-fadeouts of the opening being too fast. They just don't look like anything you'd see in a theatrical release.

-And I must also agree that you should have put some of the stuff previous to the capsule falling. As it is now, if one hasn't seen the original, the impression is WTF?! Given its importance, one should establish what's that thing that gets dropped before dropping it.

-And now, gentlemen, comes the moment to address my Problem #2. The original is terribly guilty of talking down to its audience by having characters spell out stuff to other characters that should already be at least moderately familiar with said stuff. And, unfortunately, Ultimist left every single instance of these in. Ellie explaining what prime numbers are to James Woods, which is very basic science and he, in his position, should at least half know. Ellie explaining Occam's Razor to Joss, who's a THEOLOGIST (like Occam was) and has written a book on faith vs. science, in which one imagines such concept would be prominent. Hadden playing Ellie home movies about herself and explaining them out loud (I guess she missed her own TV show). Everyone needing translation of Hitler's speech (and Kent conveniently understanding German) when it's common knowledge, and more so if you're a scientist, that the Berlin Olympics inauguration was the first TV signal (this one is even explained in the following scene to people who could plausibly not know about it). I found those moments insultingly idiotic in the original (a story with a very smart source and basis, which makes it worse), and they're no less insultingly idiotic here. Plus, the story is just as understandable without those explanations, and anyway if one does think that Occam's Razor is the title of a slasher, one shouldn't expect to go watch a movie about scientific research and be in the same level of knowledge than the characters.

-A minor plot hole is created by removing the reference to Ellie having been away for some 18 hours. Not that it's essential, but this way, when the 18 hours of static are mentioned in the ending, it seems weird. For the audience, her trip only lasted for several minutes.

-I miss that bit of the TV screens with Jay Leno and the likes commenting the contact news from Hadden's multiple monitors, and overlapping each other. It was an almost Altmanesque moment of narrative, and a very creative way to indirectly tell the story.

-I also miss the ambiguity the original version of the ending hearing presented. Was it real or was it orchestrated by Hadden?

THE AMBIVALENT STUFF
-While you created a really neat opening credits sequence, I do miss the original use of that shot, particularly the sound work, which I found impressive. I like it as a credits sequence with the music, but I think the movie loses more than it wins with the trade. It's like the two versions of the beginning of Orson Welles' Touch of Evil (check them both on Youtube if you don't know what I'm talking about).

-I'm not sure about the whole flashback structure and beginning with the epilogue. It kind of works for your intentions, but it's not really what I would have done.

Overall, despite everything I enjoyed this edit quite a bit. And it has become a paradox in itself: it won't be a replacement disc for me, as it lost things I really wanted in and kept things I really wanted out... yet I think that it's overall better and more enjoyable than the original. It's just not my vision. Taking everything into consideration, I give it a solid 8/10 and my recommendation. Good job!

DwightFry78 said:
Hadden playing Ellie home movies about herself and explaining them out loud (I guess she missed her own TV show).
No, she missed his goons ransacking her attic for her home movies. ;)

That bit annoyed me too, but since her face appears in the monitor in the background while he gives important info, I could see it as being nigh impossible to remove.

Gaith said:
No, she missed his goons ransacking her attic for her home movies. ;)

That bit annoyed me too, but since her face appears in the monitor in the background while he gives important info, I could see it as being nigh impossible to remove.
One can justify her image in the monitor as having been taken when she went to the Hadden building to ask for funding. In fact, the final part of the "home movies" scene, which shows exactly that moment, can be kept without problems.

It's not that Hadden magically has Ellie's home movies what bothers me the most. One can suspend disbelief to the point of buying him being able to compile an exhaustive file on her by whatever means. It's the fact that he has to NARRATE said home movies to her what I find idiotic. And, to add insult to injury, it adds absolutely nothing to the story. Oh, so she was a good student. Would never have guessed.

My review:

Well I just finished watching this and overall I think it was very well done.

Presentation: I thought the DVD menu design was great. It looked pretty darn professional (in my humble opinion ).

Movie: I liked the opening, but I have to agree with UnknwnFactor in that the Senate hearing was not necessary and actually showing the aftermath of Elle in the pod gives too much away. Although I’m not sure how the editing would have to be changed in order to do this. So I respect your choices.

Getting rid of the romance and God/religion aspects was great and definitely helped the pacing tremendously.

The ending was well done and it is nice that it comes full circle at the end.

Video editing: Im not a seasoned editor but in my amateur opinion the editing was pretty flawless. The image quality was pretty amazing. (Within the first 10 minutes of watching, i paused and went back to the thread in the forums concerning the fanedit, to see that you were using the Blu-Ray source).

Audio editing: There was nothing jarring that stood out to me.

Overall I would rate this a solid 8/10. Great job.

I watched this lat night, a very good edit.
You definitely succeeded in quickening the pace, it moves along much quicker now.
I haven't tried it other players, and I don't see anyone else mention it, but I had no button functionality, could not select chapters or Play.
I finally used the GoTo button to select Title 1. I'm sure it was just an incompatibility with that Polaroid player, but just so you know.
Thanks!

Hi, dunno if this is still active, but Contact is one of my favourite films and I'd love to watch this edit. Thanks

Hi, dunno if this is still active, but Contact is one of my favourite films and I'd love to watch this edit. Thanks
Welcome to the forums. Please take a moment to review our rules and guidelines for both the forums and requesting edits. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom