• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

CLASSIC MOVIES THAT HAVE MATERIAL MISSING

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
YO...

So, Last night I watched In The Heat of the Night (again).

No need to dwell on the ground breaking nature of this 5 oscar winner (7 nominations)...BUT, what did become clear to me on this viewing was the obvious excision of materal in what are sme hand fisted cuts in 4 places....

There are 4 notable jumps in the narrative with no intervening exposition. The natue of what follows in each case makes it obvious that something hit the cutting room floor.

Jump1 : After Virgil (Mr. Tibbs) is set upon in the train shed, there is a hard cut to him standing at night in fron t of a polict vehicle...Why, how did he get there?
Jump 2: After heslaps Elcor, we seem to have progressed further with an indication of conversations we did not see
Jump 3: Suddenly Virgil and the sheriff are sharing a meal, and the dialogue and demeanor indicate a longer discussion that we were not privvy to. The Sherriff tells him "as you know not a lot of people have been in here"...but we never heard that or why, nor did we see the invitation take place...
Jump 4: The last utterance to camer by the sheriff in his office you can see that more dialogue was to follow but there is a hard cut to the station.

There are also a few jumps in logic and plot.

All this says to me that the moview was maybe 15/20 mins longer and got trimmed in order to preserve the first half, which is flawless.

Alas, the protagonists are no longer with us to ask the questions, but it would be amazing if the studio could reasech it's records and unearth the material (iuf vinegar syndrome has not eaten it away).

A search for a shooting script is useless, it does not exist and the scripts that are out there are compiled from the film.

So my contention is that this got a Semi-Ambersons treatment...

Any Views?

Anyone else seen a classic that CLEARLY (not wishingly) has material excised?

Obviously, we would all love to see the 20 mins removed from 2001: A Space Odysey (very lucky to have seen it in the theatre in full way back when)....

Oscar [Winner]​

Best Picture

Walter Mirisch

Oscar [Winner]​

Best Actor in a Leading Role

Rod Steiger

Oscar [Winner]​

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium

Stirling Silliphant

Oscar [Winner]​

Best Sound

Samuel Goldwyn Sound Department

Oscar [Winner]​

Best Film Editing

Hal Ashby

Oscar [Nominee]​

Best Director

Norman Jewison

Oscar [Nominee]​

Best Effects, Sound Effects

I’m just here to say that I like Norman Jewison. Fiddler on the Roof is one of my favorite pictures ever, and certainly one of my favorite musicals as well.

I’m just here to say that I like Norman Jewison. Fiddler on the Roof is one of my favorite pictures ever, and certainly one of my favorite musicals as well.
won't Argue with that... "TRADITIONNNNN!!

A dead giveaway of material missing from classic films is when a scene change is a straight cut, instead of a dissolve. Scrooge (1951) has at least one of those: after the Tiny Tim scene in front of the toy store, we cut back to Scrooge at his office. Every other scene transition in the film is a dissolve.

Back
Top Bottom