• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Christopher Nolan

I love how he never does the same thing twice. Batman Begins, Dark Knight and Inception were all three summer blockbusters but each movie has a different vibe. That was somehting that really bugged me about Iron Man 2 because it was just what worked in the original times 10 and more flavor added.

I love Inception and while there are not that many interesting character traits the mvoie to me is more about the concepts and ideas. I like pondering over the idea of time getting slower. A lot of times when I dream it feels like I spent months even though it was just 10 minutes which can really mess you up :-o - i took my cousin (she's 14) to Inception and she was also afraid of the fact that one could grow old in a dream and then find out it has only been a night.

Also Cotillard's character is something i really like and the journey that Scarecrow takes.

ANd the coolest thing about Inception: I enjoy the hell out of it and I still think it can get better.... so just imagine what movies Nolan will do in the future if his imperfect films are already that entertaining

I guess I'm obligated to post in this thread.
I LOVE Christopher Nolan. I honestly think that he could some day be considered one of the greatest directors of all time.
As for his films:
Following: 8/10
Memento: 10/10
Insomnia: 9/10
Batman Begins: 9/10
The Prestige: 9/10
The Dark Knight: 10/10
Inception: 10/10
In my opinion, Inception is a masterpiece and Nolan's greatest film (it's close though).

DominicCobb said:
In my opinion, Inception is a masterpiece and Nolan's greatest film (it's close though).

Hence the username :D I would rank The Dark Knight a little above Inception. It's hard to choose a second favorite though - Batman Begins, Memento, Inception, Prestige... they're all so GOOD!

I just hope Dark Knight Rises to live up to the hype. I am really excited for it

Me too, but I have a feeling it won't be as good as TDK. I'm sure it will be enjoyable though, I'm guessing it'll be about on the level of Batman Begins.

QuickCut said:
Me too, but I have a feeling it won't be as good as TDK. I'm sure it will be enjoyable though, I'm guessing it'll be about on the level of Batman Begins.

A lot of people prefer The Dark Knight and as a crime type thriller it works, but I prefer Batman Begins "Bladerunner" type look and it feels more of a Batman movie than the Dark Knight IMO.

I didn't really think Batman Begins had a "Blade Runner" look. But I agree that it probably is more of a Batman movie than TDK. TDK is just a better movie overall, imho.

QuickCut said:
I didn't really think Batman Begins had a "Blade Runner" look. But I agree that it probably is more of a Batman movie than TDK. TDK is just a better movie overall, imho.

I concur on that - I was about to post that BB doesn't look like Blade Runner.

Principally, we expect to see Batman in the dark - ala Burton and Schumacher's films. BB did this, but TDK brought it outside into the light. It was grittier and felt more realistic. BB still had a fantasy feel to it.

I love Blade Runner, and it is in no way comparable to Batman Begins.

I completely disagree though that TDK is a better movie. It had a lot of potential, and Nolan did a lot of things right, but it fell flat in a lot of places. The ending is stupid. I hate how a realistic gritty film gives way to stupid over-the-top tech and effects at the end. I think the pacing is not the greatest either. my 2 cents.

i gotta say, the one thing that bugs me aboot Nolan's style is he uses that underlying constant audio beat to create a false tension where there would ordinarily be none.
i especially noticed it in tDKnight and Inception.
right oot of the gate, you hear that background beat, dun-dun-dun-dun dun-dun-dun-dun, under exposition dialog.
and what sucks is it works. your heart rate goes up and you feel on edge during a scene where nothing is actually happening except a montage of dream tests or Wayne walking through an empty warehouse.
he also tried to cram way to much in tDKnight and i won't bother mentioning the batman growl voice.
The Prestige, someone else said, hands down brilliant. start to finish. David Bowie should get his own Tesla spinoff movie.
i'm in no way bagging on anyone for being a Nolin fan because he does great work in a field where guys do subpar work and still make bank (lucus, bay).

QuickCut said:
Sorry just meant some if it has that type if look ie in the underworld type parts of the film just before batman gets burnt by scarecrow. Also Nolan Aldo mentions the look in one if the docs on the bluray and asked his co workers to watch blade runner to get the feel of what he wanted in terms of look before he started shooting.

baileym43 said:
i gotta say, the one thing that bugs me aboot Nolin's style is he uses that underlying constant audio beat to create a false tension where there would ordinarily be none.
i especially noticed it in tDKnight and Inception.
right oot of the gate, you hear that background beat, dun-dun-dun-dun dun-dun-dun-dun, under exposition dialog.
and what sucks is it works. your heart rate goes up and you feel on edge during a scene where nothing is actually happening except a montage of dream tests or Wayne walking through an empty warehouse.
he also tried to cram way to much in tDKnight and i won't bother mentioning the batman growl voice.
The Prestige, someone else said, hands down brilliant. start to finish. David Bowie should get his own Tesla spinoff movie.
i'm in no way bagging on anyone for being a Nolin fan because he does great work in a field where guys do subpar work and still make bank (lucus, bay).

This thread is not about Nolin.

white43 said:
I concur on that - I was about to post that BB doesn't look like Blade Runner.

Principally, we expect to see Batman in the dark - ala Burton and Schumacher's films. BB did this, but TDK brought it outside into the light. It was grittier and felt more realistic. BB still had a fantasy feel to it.
Agreed - that full daylight bank-robbery opening was certainly a surprise - but I'm pretty sure Nolan still hasn't brought Batman into daylight.

No, I don't believe there are any TDK scenes where we see Batman in daylight.

I love his work. Momento is in my top 20 films ever, perfect script and Guy Peirce is fantastic.

Inception in the exception. I can't get into a film with unclear stakes, and that film has so much exposition explaining things I really started to get pissed at it half-way threw. The film pretty much lost me completely when they had Ellen Page's character explaining how the were gonna get out in the middle of the climactic action scene in the snow base. Rips me completely out of the moment.

Another part that royally made me angry is that early in the film we see Page's character constructing and manipulating the environment with her mind, yet this doesn't play ANY role later in the film. It was a huge missed opportunity.

I know it was Nolan's baby, and the film was beautiful, but I think he should have spent more time honing that script.

I would put all of his films in my top 50 (yet to finish Following and see Insomnia).

"But, don't you see, the complexity is what makes it all so brilliant."

"Does it, though?"

:lol:

QuickCut said:
No, I don't believe there are any TDK scenes where we see Batman in daylight.

Not true. You're forgetting the scene where he looks at the rubble of the building Rachel was in. That was still fairly dark though, so seeing Batman in broad daylight in the trailer for TDKR was still quite a shock.

Back
Top Bottom