• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Can We All Agree On Something Here?

I've never seen the UK version. But Steve Carrell just doesn't do it for me. He is great as a supporting character, or voicing an animated character... but I don't think he really works in a lead position.

I don't watch much sitcom. The two I do watch: Modern Family and Big Bang Theory.

emphatic said:
US. UK version is OK, but the US was successful because of the great supporting cast, not only relying on one person.

I dunno Martin Freeman, Mackenzie Crook and Lucy Davies were all pretty integral. Ricky was fab but the others were just as important.

nightstalkerpoet said:
I've never seen the UK version. But Steve Carrell just doesn't do it for me.

Couldn't agree more.

Mmm Kat. But yeah the show blows.

My daughter and I watched the preview for Two Broke Girls before it even started and just went, "no way." You really didn't need to watch an entire episode to know how crap it is.

New Girl was alright. I had to stop watching it though. The camera-work just annoyed the heck out of me. Too many close-ups zipping around at high speed in scenes with more than two people. It made me so mad, even though I liked the writing and some of the characters, I had to turn it off.

Kids today. They grew up watching potty humor, now they watch bidet humor.

th_crotchety-old-man.jpg

The list of shows I watch that aren't on HBO or Showtime grows thin.

white43 said:
But I kinda like New Girl.

I like New Girl as well, but I don't think it's ever really made me laugh. Except for maybe Schmidt.

JetSetWilly said:
Gone are the days of The Two Ronnies, Steptoe & Son and Monty Python,

I've never heard of the first two and I've never really been a fan of Monthy Python. I don't hate it, but I could take it or leave it.

nOmArch said:
I dunno Martin Freeman, Mackenzie Crook and Lucy Davies were all pretty integral. Ricky was fab but the others were just as important.

I went to the library a few months ago and they had the first season of The Office, the UK one, so I picked it up to see what everyone was raving about. I couldn't even make it through two episodes. I just found it so boring. And I can't stand Ricky Gervais, not just on the show but in general. I just find him so unfunny and annoying.

nOmArch said:

Couldn't agree more.

Fan of both versions. Initiated on the UK version and loved Gervais, Crooks, Davis and Freeman. Although, let it be known that I think Gervais is a bit of a ****. I like how the US version has gone on and on. Liked James Spader in it, Catherine Tate currently in it and Ed Helms as currently running it (the office). Like John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer. Rainn Wilson is hilarious.

Somewhat like - anyone watch Shameless? At this stage in the game, I'd say I enjoy the Shameless US better than Shameless UK - which lost it's way a loooong time ago.

Yeah, I like both versions of the Office. The original is hilarious and it's nice that it's a confined little series. I might have a preference to the US version though, but it's hard to compare. I love that it's been able to last, though I will admit that the story lines have gotten stale as of late. But I still find it consistently funny, and I still love the characters, so as long as it's on (until May actually), I'll watch. Parks and Recreation is the funniest show on TV, though.

As for Two Broke Girls, yeah, I don't really care. Never seen it, but it seems awful.

white43 said:
Somewhat like - anyone watch Shameless? At this stage in the game, I'd say I enjoy the Shameless US better than Shameless UK - which lost it's way a loooong time ago.

Didn't they stop making Shameless after Series 3?

OK I know they didn't but AFAIC...

Shameless after S3 is utterly painful to watch

I've been following US Shameless. Mostly because I am in love with the main girl.

Yeah the girls are a lot cuter in the US version.

But defo watch the UK version if you can, I can't recommend highly enough the first two seasons, the third is also good but you can see the magic is fading.

William H Macy is also badass in US Shameless. Love that guy. Perfect casting.

nOmArch said:
Yeah the girls are a lot cuter in the US version.

But defo watch the UK version if you can, I can't recommend highly enough the first two seasons, the third is also good but you can see the magic is fading.

With the exception of Frank - every single character has moved on, including every single member of the Gallagher family. Every season a whole bunch of characters just vanish, Boston Legal style. Frank only really appears now as a gesture.

The US version is a much more fun, less bleak and for at least two seasons - the characters are all still there!

Back
Top Bottom