• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Call for VFX help

LieutenantDan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all,

Not sure if there is any protocol for this kind of request but I'm after some VFX assistance. What I envision may not even possible given available footage but throwing this out there in the event there are any VFX wizards here.

I am working on an edit where a character who is not otherwise present in a scene/consecutive series of scenes (let's call the scene a chase scene on foot, the good guys and bad guys are shooting at one another etc). I'm looking to insert said character in a shot or several shots (whatever way is easiest) to sell the idea that character has been there the whole time. The addition of said character might work just as a background element but with zero skills in this area, would be happy to be steered by someone who does.

If anyone is interested or thinks they have the skills, I am happy to go into more detail perhaps via PM so we don't spoil the surprise. ;)

Cheers in advance.

Dan

Sounds like it would be a good start to look up some YouTube tutorials for masking/clipping/compositing/etc in your editing suite of choice. I would imagine the basic approach would be to cut out the guy from the source material (so basically you're masking out the background so that it's like he's on a greenscreen) and then you can insert him into the new scene. Easier said than done.

It's hard to say any more than that as what you've described is quite general. There's going to be all sorts of nuances to do with making the lighting/scaling/camera movements etc match.

No takers willing to accept a challenge? It turns out what I need is probably only literally a second or two of footage. I can spoil the surprise and say it involves taking a couple of frames of Han Solo firing his blaster from Empire, cutting him out from the environment he's in and pasting him into another.

Depends on what the two shots are really. Are they static, moving in 2D or 3D space, footage from around the same time? I could take a look but make no guarantees.

I did custom lighting on zeus' face in Thor L+T-C but he was fairly still and so only required one image of the new lighting overlaid on several frames.
Bobson, I'd be very interested to see what you could do.

Depends on what the two shots are really. Are they static, moving in 2D or 3D space, footage from around the same time? I could take a look but make no guarantees.
Static. What if I send you the shots and see what you think? Appreciate you replying!

So you know what? I've had a play with just editing and TBH we might be ok without this VFX at all! Its a very quick shot that sells the idea *enough* I think and spending lots of time (I imagine) trying to 'elevate' it is probably not worth it :ROFLMAO: Sorry to trouble you Bobson!

Back
Top Bottom