• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Burning of DL DVDs

hmmm, thats what I am using, and I have been having troubles lately. It can never actually finalize the disc. I have been getting an error during that step

do you guys have growisofs on windows?

it's pretty much the best thing ever

i've literally had a handfull of coasters in 8 years and most were my fault...

well, I updated my firmware, and everything is going fine now. imgburn for some reason is still giving me issues, but I am able to burn DL using Nero with no problems at all.

..so Joe, I should get your stuff out early next week

how do you updated the firmware?

did a google search for my DVD drive and "firmware" took me to the NEC page with info on my drive, and the latest firmware, and what it fixed. Said that mine fixed a problem burning DL discs ...and indeed it did

Can someone please help me? I'm so tired of burning coasters. I've read every guide and tried every method, and I just don't have any luck. My firmware is up to date, I use Verbatim DL+R discs, and I have plenty of memory. Half of the time the burn fails, 40% of the time it fails during the verify stage and the other 10% of the time it makes it all the way through. Of that remaining 10%, half of them will play on all four of my DVD players, and the other half only work on 2 of of my 4 dvd players.

Please for the love of all that is good, tell me what the crap to do.

I've tried the Imgburn build method.
I've tried the pgcedit>dvd decrypter method.
I've tried the pgcedit>imgburn method.
I've tried Nero (whoops).
I've tried ultraiso>imgburn.

All fail. Ugh.

Have you tried burning at the slowest speed available for your burner, Reave?

hey Reave
you should try this method, this is what I use and never had an issue, plus the dl discs worked on every player without a problem

ultraiso (make sure you are using it's dvd video mode) to dvd decrypter's iso write option.

I do not use imgburn, too many issues with it and all it is is a rip of decrypters iso burn option but updated. However it seems to give people
issues. Stick with decrypter

Thanks, I'll try it.

Can you give me a quick tutorial on UltraIso?

I was shopping around to purchase some more DL discs, and I noticed that verbatim has DVD-R dual layer discs now. I thought all DL discs were +R. Unfortunately the discs are almost $5 per discs. which really sucks. I've read that there are less errors generally associated with -R compared to +R. something to do with the finalizing of the disc. anyone comment on this?

I know as far as the dl disc go your easiest route is going with the + format. DL "-" disc actually are not cut and paste and you have to set and do a few things before you can burn them as a dl video disc. If you burn it as straight data that is another story.

but yes, kind of like setting the booktype for + media (for other uses) you have to do a few steps in order to burn a "-" dl disc properly. Even then I was getting word they do not perform well for video and should be used strictly for data archiving. Stick with the + format for DL video burning

i bought - DL discs and i wouldnt say they are any better..i just wasted the last 10.

thanks for the info tranzor. very interesting. I was not going to purchase these (-) now due to the big price increase, but its good to know for the future. I really hate the cost of DL discs. I usually try to keep a few handy for a few edits that I think really are deserving of it. Otherwise its CCE 10-pass shrink. ...but since Adywans DVD9 is due now, I need to grab some more since I am out :)

why do you get so many errors.my drive is only about 6 weeks old.

??? eh? i dont get many errors, i just dont enjoy forking over a lot of money for dual layer discs when a lot of the edits look just great on a SL disc with a good encode. There are exceptions definitely, and thats why I am still burning DL discs

lol i didnt mean you directly.

throw from what I have seen for dual layer usually all my errors and problems stem from what manufacturer I use. I have used the cheap kind and they almost all came out as coasters. I bought a 10 pack of verbatims a while back and so far the 6 I have burnt all worked perfect. In my experience unless you are using a burner for than 4 years old the drive won't have that much effect on errors.

for dl disc I would only recommend using verbatim

Back
Top Bottom