• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tried posting this on another website, more specifically devoted to games than this... however, it's an older site and therefore less active, so I'm getting few to zero assists/responses. Figured I'd post it here as well, in case anybody can help me out.

So full disclosure, I'm definitely a physical collector (I know, I'm a fool, call me what you wish) as far as film and games. Aside from the fact Discs have better playback and encoding quality than streaming (which, due to inherent limitations at the very core of bandwidth and the technology involved, isn't something that can just change/get better down the road), there's also the fact Blu-Ray/4K discs have better longevity than other formats. On a data level, BD discs can go without failing or their data corrupting for over 1000 years (tested via acclerated aging of blank and written discs). On a physical level, you have the scratch resistant coating that is so impenetrable I've bought used discs released back in 2007 that still work and have no playback problems of any kind.

I tend to store 1080p fanedits on BD-R, which has the same data encoding and scratch resistance, for this reason (unfortunately not currently possible to burn 4K). With games, I'd initially believed it wasn't possible to do this as well, settling for storing backed up files on USBs. That's not ideal for long term physical storage, since USBs fail if they go 10 years without use (wouldn't apply here, since I'd for sure replay them on an annually regular basis), and even then have a max lifespan of 20 years. However, I recently became aware it was possible to burn game .ISOs to BD-R and run them, which I intend to do for my backups of PS2 games (I believe this is also possible for PS1 .CUE and .BIN files, but not sure).

Obviously storing older games on their native formats isn't an option, since those were CD/DVD based and don't have scratch resistance to protect them from physical degradation the way BD and BD-R does. Therefore burning them onto BD-R disc seems like a genuinely viable option, as Blu-Ray tends to be the universal format standard for disc based consoles from PS3 onwards. To expand on that, this means PS3 discs have the same scratch resistant coating as Blu-Ray, as do PS4/PS5 discs and X-Box One discs. The only odd group out is Nintendo, who strangely opted not to use the Blu-Ray format standard for their Wii U disc (generally seen as a bad move in retrospect), meaning all their disc based consoles are subject to disc rot. But for every other BC console, which can play back written BD-R discs, this seems like a viable option to me.

My question is, to anyone who would have the know-how, is there any extra steps involved? Like, burning ISO backups of older games to BD-R is fairly straightforward (and for other data types, at least as far as storage, this also works), but are there any extra steps involved to run playback from these discs? Is there a guide unique to doing this for PS3 vs X-Box One, etc (I'm not really brand exclusive as far as games, a good game is a good game no matter who released it as far as I'm concerned). Alternatively, if no one here has that knowledge, I'd be happy to post a guide on how to do this down the road when I figure it out. Thank you to anyone who responds.

Back
Top Bottom