• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Brainstorm: The Showscan Edit (COMPLETED)

Triple_sSs

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

UPDATE 9/2023: I've decided to go ahead and declare my edit finished now. PM me if you're interested.

Hello Fanedit.org! First time posting here, but I wanted to join this place to share a fanedit I've been working on recently.
This is a special project which I call...

Brainstorm: The Showscan Edit

First some background history:
Back in the late 70s, Douglas Trumbull, the VFX artist famous for his groundbreaking special effects on films like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Blade Runner, was researching ways on how to increase the visual impact and fidelity of movies. What he found was that increasing the size of the film and raising the film's frame rate also greatly increased its emotional impact. So he invented the film process known as Showscan, which is 70mm film recorded & projected at 60 frames per second, and it was essentially the forerunner to what's now called High Frame Rate (HFR) cinema.
Trumbull then produced some test films which were very impressive, but he also wanted to try making a feature film using the new process. This led to what would eventually become 1983's Brainstorm, a sci-fi film directed by Trumbull about scientists that invent a device called The Hat that can record & replay experiences from one mind to another which stared Christopher Walken, Natalie Wood, Louise Fletcher and Cliff Robertson, and it basically predicted Virtual Reality before the word or concept became commonplace. (Trailer here) Trumbull wanted to have the VR scenes shot in Showscan with the regular scenes shot in regular 35mm 24fps, however the studios found that this would be far too expensive and cumbersome to achieve at the time, so instead a compromise was reached where the VR scenes were shot in 70mm and stereo sound but at 24fps, while the other scenes were filmed in 35mm, mono sound and a smaller aspect ratio to give the scenes a noticeable difference.
Although, what more people are likely to know about is that actress Natalie Wood mysteriously died in a drowning incident during a break in filming, and this nearly caused the filmed to be canned, but director Trumbull fought tooth and nail to get the film finished, and since Wood had already completed most of her major scenes it was certainly possible to do so, and eventually the film was finished and premiered in September of 1983. Sadly the resulting film ended up failing at the box office and got mixed reviews from critics, and Doug Trumbull was so distraught from the experience that he never wanted to direct a film again, and wouldn't fully return to filmmaking until decades later.
If you want more details on the history of the film I recommend reading this great article from Popular Mechanics: https://www.popularmechanics.com/cu...-fi-movie-brainstorm-natalie-wood-final-film/

I'm personally a rather big fan of this film, and find it to be a pretty fascinating, if flawed, high-concept 80s sci-fi film that's unfairly overlooked and was certainly ahead of its time. But looking at its history, I've also wondered, "What could it have looked like if it was shot in Showscan to begin with?" So with this fan edit, I'm using today's technology to interpolate all the VR shots up to 60fps in order to present the film as it was originally envisioned by the director.

This is something that's been gestating for a while now and I'm personally calling it Showscan Edit "2.0", because I actually tried making an early version of this edit about a decade ago in 2012, using a DVD copy of the film and interpolating the VR shots with an old version of SVP. Though it was a bit crude this "1.0" version worked very well as a workprint for how the HFR version of the film could look, but I never shared this edit publicly. Several years later, I did a "v1.1" test with an HD source using an Optical Flow program for interpolation, which usually looks considerably better than real-time interpolation techniques, but this didn't get very far as I don't think I had the resources to try using this for a whole film project.
Fast forward to just last month, and I came across this donationware app called Flowframes, which lets you use AI imaging frameworks to interpolate videos to higher frame rates with very realistic results. Then I remembered my old project and inspiration struck, so now I'm taking another crack at this fan edit.

Having already made & viewed my rough edit years ago (and even working on what I have right now), I believe the 60fps conversion to the VR shots creates a manifest difference in the visual language of these scenes and the scenes around them, and to be honest it's unlike anything I've personally seen in a feature film before. The shots have more presence & energy, and you're able to take in more visual information than you would at a standard frame rate, and even though Mr. Trumbull didn't get to make the film the way he originally wanted, the way the HFR and standard shots contrast with each other looks very deliberate in some scenes based on direction, staging and editing, and one may be able see the "framework" of how this film could have been a perfect showcase for Showscan and HFR film in general. I'm aware that directors like Peter Jackson, James Cameron, and Ang Lee have been experimenting with HFR film in recent years, and some of their HFR film work has admittedly had a mixed response thus far, but I believe this fan edit might be a better demonstration for HFR in feature films than what's come before, and should also show how much of a genius Douglas Trumbull really was.

• All 70mm first-person footage has been upconverted to 60fps to match the original intended Showscan presentation, mostly using the Flowframes interpolation program, and occasionally using a few other programs and methods on some shots where Flowframes fell short.
  • Color corrections and additional remastering have been applied throughout the film to improve its visual quality, as well as fixes to technical issues and some enhanced visual effects.
  • The static in the opening credits has been enhanced to look better in 60fps with more visible motion.
  • All static "warp" shots have been enhanced for 60fps as well.
  • Added a new visual distortion effect to the first shot of the lab. Based on evidence from unused footage from the films trailer, the dialog in the shot and its composition, and info from an 80s VFX magazine, there was supposed to be a distortion effect added to this shot initially, but it was discarded after the director found it unsatisfactory. I thought I'd reintroduce an effect to the shot using a "radial slitscan" effect in After Effects, plus an additional sound effect was added in the middle to help signify a change during the effect.
  • The shot of "the grid" being viewed by Gordy while he moves his head away from the device has been improved so there's some matching lens distortion on the grid during movement, since it instead looked like a flat image was just pasted on.
  • Edited out a crew member who was visible in the lower-left corner of the frame at the beginning of the shot where Gordy enters the animal testing lab.
  • Blew out the brightness & color on the shot where Michael is experiencing the point of view from the test monkey Lina. This seems to be a very overwhelming experience for Michael and/or Lina, and I felt that adding this effect would better match the intent of the shot as well as the loud distorted audio.
  • Extended the "twittering" sound of the Hat tape at the shot where Alex lets go of the playing lever at the end of him playing the demo tape, as it comes in too late.
  • Added a subtle glint effect to the bright lights in the shot of the nightclub at the end of the investor demo tape to make it look a little more groovy. :)
  • A slight reverb effect was added to the ambience of the establishing shot in the large rec center room to better reflect the environment.
  • Adjustments have been made to most of the film's forced matte shots to better blend in with the live-action footage.
  • One of the lines spoken from Karen during the recorded memory of her & Michaels' argument ("You're so selfish, your ignorant!") seems to be taken from a lower quality on-set recording with audible camera noise in the background. Presumably, Natalie Wood died before she could do ADR for this line and they had to make do with what they had. I cleaned up the audio of it so that the camera noise is less noticeable and the dialogue sounds a bit clearer.
  • The missiles fired during Gordy's second flight sim have been improved/redone so they look better & more solid after the 60fps conversion.
  • Edited out what looked like a boom mic in the top of the frame for the shot of the wedding bouquet toss.
  • Added some lens distortion during the shot of Lillian dying during Michael's first playback of her tape. Thought this would make it look more dramatic & impactful.
  • Lens correction/distortion was also added to the next shot of Lillian/Michael floating above her body to keep continuity with the previous effect, give it more impact as well, and also to hide the camera shadow that was visible in the upper-right corner of the frame during the beginning of the shot.
  • I added a transitional "dimensional warp" effect to all the cuts where the camera enters/exits a memory bubble, using a lens distortion like in previous effects. This may not have been conceived at the time, but I think this makes the bubble sequences more snazzy and modern-looking, and it was done in a way to match the soundtrack & sound effects.
  • The color grade for the memory bubble shots have been adjusted so they all have an ethereal light-blue glow, which was predominant but not consistent.
  • Cropped out a crew member who again appears in the lower-left corner during the surprise birthday party shot.
  • In one of the shots of Alex on the balcony, a pane of glass was reflecting the camera & crew, so I isolated & darkened it to make this less noticeable.
  • One shot, where Michael lets the robotic arm drop a can of Coke into his hand, is actually missing a frame in the current master of this film, which was just replaced with a slightly earlier one. I was able to generate a replacement frame with the Flowframes program so that the motion stays smooth in this shot, and I even sought out an older DVD copy of the film to borrow a small element, the Coke can, from the original frame which existed in an older master, and pasted it in the new frame.
  • Fixed some brightness flickering that occurs during the shots of Chris finding and playing the psychotic episode tape.
  • Added additional screen flashing to the shot of the screaming man and the shots of Chris experiencing the psychotic episode tape. I believe that the flicker would have been more intense like this if it had originally been done in 60fps and I wanted to reflect that here.
  • Slightly trimmed one of Michael's close-ups during Chris' psychotic tape to fix some lip flap.
  • Cropped out a crew member who was fully visible on the left edge of the frame during the last shot of Lillian and Alex talking on the balcony.
  • Fixed some stars that disappeared on the last few frames of the first shot of Michael/Lillian traveling to the distant galaxy.
  • Fixed some bright lights that suddenly appear/disappear during parts of the "Soulgate" sequence that Michael experiences toward the end of the film.
  • Adjusted the brightness of the bright light on the second shot of "Heaven's gate" so it looks brighter and less dull in contrast to the other shots.
  • Tweaked the colors of the bright light in the third & last heaven's gate shot so it better matches the color from the previous ones.
  • The stars are now more visible in the night sky in the film's last shots. (To better complement Michael's line, "Look at the stars")
  • Edited out a crew member's head that briefly appeared in the lower-left corner of the shot where Karen looks up at the stars.
  • Adjustments made to the final memory bubble and credits to look less washed out.
  • Other small miscellaneous edits made to the video/audio to add more polish.

• Changes planned for 2.1 version (TBD):
  • Enhancements to the second "descent" shot with the falling Hats and elements against a circuit board wall.
  • Redo the bright lights in the Soulgate sequence to look better at 60fps.
  • Some more color corrections
  • Possible alternate "full frame" version with both the main & VR shots cropped to 1.78:1 aspect ratio

So far I've already gotten some good progress done on this new edit. I've ripped the Blu-ray and I'm working with lossless video in Vegas Pro 18, and I've already interpolated the main footage I want and am in the process of editing it on top on the original footage. However I think I may want some help regarding the rendering and sharing part of the edit, since I'm still new this kind of stuff and all. And I've worked with Vegas for some time before so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing, mostly. :)
Also while making this thread, I only just found that someone else recently made their own test edit of how Brainstorm would look in HFR. Seems to be a good example though I'm intending to do the whole film instead of just a test. I guess it should work for now until I figure out how to share a test of my own.

Anyway that's all I've got so far, let me know what you think! Hoping to not take too long for this to be finished either.

Last edited:
Welcome!
This sounds very interesting!
I haven’t seen this movie for many years and I need to upgrade my dvd to Blu-ray so I can Watch your Edit.
I would recommend a vimeo account so you can upload and share clips of your progress.
Looking forward to see this!

Thanks for the tip! I presume Vimeo can handle HFR uploads without downsizing the frame rate?

Oh yeah, and this is something I forgot to say that's probably worth mentioning:
I had actually been able to get in contact with Mr. Trumbull via email around the time I made my first version of the edit. I talked about what I was doing and he said he was interested, and he let me send a CD of this edit out to his personal film studio in Massachusetts. He later got back to me saying he tried playing my edit on his big film screen and that it looked "very nice", although he was more focused on his current film projects.
So yeah, in a way I suppose this edit could be considered "semi-director-approved". Not sure how rare that is around here but there ya go.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip! I presume Vimeo can handle HFR uploads without downsizing the frame rate?

Oh yeah, and this is something I forgot to say that's probably worth mentioning:
I had actually been able to get in contact with Mr. Trumbull via email around the time I made my first version of the edit. I talked about what I was doing and he said he was interested, and he let me send a CD of this edit out to his personal film studio in Massachusetts. He later got back to me saying he tried playing my edit on his big film screen and that it looked "very nice", although he was more focused on his current film projects.
So yeah, in a way I suppose this edit could be considered "semi-director-approved". Not sure how rare that is around here but there ya go.

Not sure about the frame rate with vimeo but it’s great if you want to share some clips for future edits down the line.

Very nice to hear you have contact with Mr.Trumbull himself and that he enjoy the work.

I just checked Vimeo and they do actually support 60fps video, so I'm good to use that!
Anyway here's a preview of the opening credits scene (Which is, sidenote, one of the most mesmerizing I've seen for a sci-fi film) and the first scene in the lab. Now it's not always perfect looking with the interpolation, especially with fast motion elements, but I think it'll do a good job of showing how HFR could've looked like in the film. I also adjusted the black levels in some parts since it looked rather washed out for some shots.

Last edited:
Loved this film as a kid but haven't seen it in a longtime. I think i will dust off my Bluray and give this a rewatch this week . I'm subscribed

I was and am a HUGE Trumbull fan and was lucky to see this in the big screen in all its 70mm glory at the Empire in London when it opened. I then went again, and again. The showscan scenes, albeit just 70mm, just popped and that was always a huge deal back then… but alas, it got drubbed by critics and flopped. I’m ecstatic you are tacking this, since the Bly ray is OK, but it’s just lacking that high frame rate pop and clarity. Plus a James Horner score that echoes ST II TWOK.

always thought the film was way ahead of the curve….

good luck, can’t wait!

Last edited:
Alright so I now have all the interpolated shots arranged onto the timeline with the 24fps footage, now I'm going to starting doing some of the editing with the frame timing and reinterpolating some shots for better results. Also making small adjustments for some shots with regards to saturation, lumosity, etc so they look more consistent and pleasing.
A couple other changes of note is that I improved an effect on the shot early in the film where Gordy moves his head up from "the grid", but I added a slight spherize effect to it to simulate lens distortion, since the grid looked more like it was just pasted into the shot. I also fixed the black levels on the end credits which looked very washed out (especially compared to the opening) but I cut out the "bubble" so it looks the same and retains an appropriate hazy look to it. I can post some pics when I get a moment.

Man oh man. Leave the site for a few years and come back to gems like this. I'm reasonably aware of my 80s films, and well aware of Trumbull's interests in 60fps/large screen desire for emotionally immersive film experiences, but this actual project missed me. Now I need to grab a BD of it. Very cool project, and pretty exciting that Trumbull was at least aware of and approved of the project when you first started. It's very rare but not entirely unheard of for directors to have seen a fanedit project and approve. There is one (I cannot remember the name of, perhaps another old fart like me can chime in) but there was a film that a director had taken away from him and a faneditor basically attempted an approximate cut and the director is on record as having seen it and stating that it was as close to his intended vision as there likely would be, a very high praise indeed!

But on point, this looks great and cannot wait to immerse myself into it!

Man oh man. Leave the site for a few years and come back to gems like this. I'm reasonably aware of my 80s films, and well aware of Trumbull's interests in 60fps/large screen desire for emotionally immersive film experiences, but this actual project missed me. Now I need to grab a BD of it. Very cool project, and pretty exciting that Trumbull was at least aware of and approved of the project when you first started. It's very rare but not entirely unheard of for directors to have seen a fanedit project and approve. There is one (I cannot remember the name of, perhaps another old fart like me can chime in) but there was a film that a director had taken away from him and a faneditor basically attempted an approximate cut and the director is on record as having seen it and stating that it was as close to his intended vision as there likely would be, a very high praise indeed!

But on point, this looks great and cannot wait to immerse myself into it!
Oh, yes. That was the director of The Crow: City of Angels, who loved the edit so much that IIRC even posted a review here.

As for this project... editing a Douglas Trumbull film AND having a Crow T. Robot profile pic? I like this guy already.

4HdsB-1497974315-1596-blog-battlestar_sensurround.jpg
Have you given any thought to tightening up the 5:1 channel separation for the non Showscan scenes so that the audio opens up wide when it’s in Showscan? I recall in the theatre the sound opening right out when the screen filled, as if the non Showscan material was in just a stereo down mix…that would certainly emulate the effect I distinctly recall. The Empire hosted sensuround presentations too like Earthquake and Battlestar Galactica…. What a thrill!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback so far! Was a bit more than I was expecting. ^^

And yes I'm a huge MST3K fan, have been for years and have enjoyed all its iterations thus far. Also there is a loose connection with this film and MST3K: Trumbull also directed the 1972 cult classic Silent Running, and creator Joel Hodgson has cited that film as a significant influence on the initial look of the show.

As for the sound mix, sadly I'm not too familiar with surround sound mixing so I'm not sure what I can do in regards to that, but I'll be sure to let the final edit preserve the surround channels.

I’m going to watch this again and crank it up on the Bose…I watched it last on TV speakers ( I’m an idiot)…

A couple other changes of note is that I improved an effect on the shot early in the film where Gordy moves his head up from "the grid", but I added a slight spherize effect to it to simulate lens distortion, since the grid looked more like it was just pasted into the shot. I also fixed the black levels on the end credits which looked very washed out (especially compared to the opening) but I cut out the "bubble" so it looks the same and retains an appropriate hazy look to it. I can post some pics when I get a moment.
Almost forgot to share these...
Before & after with lens correction for the grid:
Fyv6wx2.png

Before and after with black levels for the end credits:
wBNiWUp.png

Got a Vegas Pro question, is there a quick way to select all events to the right of the time cursor? Would be a big help with editing between scenes.

Use the selection edit tool....this tutorial drags on and on but gives you the gist...select everything to the right and move back and forth as a group.

Back
Top Bottom