• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Book Quotables

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I read a lot and often note down passages I like but it saddens me that they remain locked away in a digital notepad. I thought I'd open this thread for the sole purpose of quoting these and others, be it for admiring prose, provoking discussion, or humour, etc.. Others are welcome to join in.

Rules:
  1. Post quotes only. Providing a bit of context is fine. But if you want to comment on someone else's or discuss something off the back of a quote, reply to it in the Discussion Thread.
  2. Quote must be from a book
  3. Said quote must be accompanied by the author and book name.
  4. Non-fiction is allowed but, for obvious reasons, please don't quote from any political or religious texts.

(example post to follow)

Last edited:
There was a click as the door shut behind him. There should have been a slam, but some doors never quite understand the situation.
- Terry Pratchett, Snuff

We are all dying to give our lives away to something, maybe. God or Satan, politics or grammar, topology or philately - the object seemed incidental to this will to give ourselves away, utterly. To games or needles, to some other person. Something pathetic about it. A flight-from in the form of a plunging-into. Flight from exactly what? These rooms, blandly filled with excrement and heat? To what purpose?

- Infinite Jest; David Foster Wallace

In the presence of real tragedy you feel neither pain nor joy nor hatred, only a sense of enormous space and time suspended, the great doors open to black eternity, the rising across the terrible field of that last enormous, unanswerable question.

― Mervyn Peake, Titus Groan

Back
Top Bottom