• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Bond 25: No Time To Die

So you believe a woman, a person of color, a woman of color (seriously, let us know what specifically you’re against) shouldn’t, couldn’t, or wouldn’t hold such a rank in an imaginary government spy organization?

Moe_Syzlak said:
So you believe a woman, a person of color, a woman of color (seriously, let us know what specifically you’re against) shouldn’t, couldn’t, or wouldn’t hold such a rank in an imaginary government spy organization?
No, that is not what  I believe.   Of course women and black people can, should, and would hold such a rank in an imaginary, government spy organization and in the real world for that matter.  What I believe is 007 is will always be James Bond and James Bond is white and male.   What I believe is a character was originally and traditionally of race x and gender y, that shouldn't be switched.

Warbler said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
No, that is not what  I believe.  What I believe is 007 is will always be James Bond and James Bond is white and male.

But 007 is no more only James Bond than General is only Patton. It’s a designation not a character. James Bond left the rank behind at the end of the last movie. Why in the world would any spy organization not fill that void?!

The designation is part of the character.  James Bond being 007 is iconic.  If you can't understand that, I don't know what to say.  Sorry, she is not 007.

Warbler said:
The designation is part of the character.  James Bond being 007 is iconic.  If you can't understand that, I don't know what to say.  Sorry, she is not 007.

Yes, the designation is part of the character, but the character isn’t the designation. It’s like how a square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn’t necessarily a square. Why don’t you try seeing the movie before you get all up in arms about it.

Sorry, no.  My money will not go to this travesty.

This makes me sad. It’s these sorts of attitudes that need to be called out. This is the sort of thing people point to when they talk about toxic fandom. Something so ridiculously insignificant as an agent in the James Bond universe being assigned the designation resigned by James Bond in-universe being black and/or female results in people not only throwing online fits, but also personally boycotting the film. That’s just sad and you should feel bad.

I really don't see what the big deal is.  Bond retired at the end of SPECTRE, and it would appear he's been retired for a number of years by the start of No Time To Die.  Though, has there been a Craig era film where he hasn't quit at some point?  Pretty sure that happens in all of them.  Anyway.  007 isn't a sports jersey to be retired after a good run, it makes sense that it's been reassigned in the interim.  There's no way the movie will end without the number returning to Bond, either by the volition of the new agent, or her untimely demise.

Moe_Syzlak said:
This makes me sad. It’s these sorts of attitudes that need to be called out. This is the sort of thing people point to when they talk about toxic fandom. Something so ridiculously insignificant as an agent in the James Bond universe being assigned the designation resigned by James Bond in-universe being black and/or female results in people not only throwing online fits, but also personally boycotting the film. That’s just sad and you should feel bad.
I have a right to do with my money as I wish.

matrixgrindhouse said:
I really don't see what the big deal is.  Bond retired at the end of SPECTRE, and it would appear he's been retired for a number of years by the start of No Time To Die.  Though, has there been a Craig era film where he hasn't quit at some point?  Pretty sure that happens in all of them.  Anyway.  007 isn't a sports jersey to be retired after a good run, it makes sense that it's been reassigned in the interim.  There's no way the movie will end without the number returning to Bond, either by the volition of the new agent, or her untimely demise.

I believe it is possible they are using this movie as a way to test the market for replacing Craig with a female(possibly non-white)

If liking Bond how it was back the Sean Connery/Roger Moore  eras means I am toxic, I guess I am toxic.

A staff member already said that was enough.  And yet multiple people are still going.

Drop it, all of you.

We are discussing the new movie, that is what this thread is for.

Warbler said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
Warbler said:
asterixsmeagol said:
I'd be happy to see her continue as 007

*shakes head in disbelief.*

At yourself?

No, at anyone one who would be happy to have Bond politically corrected in this manner.

Warbler said:
If liking Bond how it was back the Sean Connery/Roger Moore  eras means I am toxic, I guess I am toxic.

This is not discussing the movie, this is picking a fight.  Knock it off.

*sigh*

fine, I guess the thread should be renamed "Bond 25: No Time To Die(but please ignore the white elephant in the room)"

Glad we understand each other.

TVs Frink said:

Just for the record, we do not understand it each other.  

fuck this place.  I'm out

Frink's attitude sucks.

K byeeeee.

Has anyone talked about how this one is going to be directed by Cary Fukanaga yet? He's one of my favourite directors and I can't wait to see his signature style on this. I wonder if there's going to be any impressive long takes and/or trippy sequences.

Warbler said:
TVs Frink said:

TM2YC's and Frink's attitudes suck.

Infraction issued.

In case it wasn't clear to everyone who cares to stick around, this kind of stuff is not tolerated.  If a staff member asks you to move on, move on.  If a second staff member asks you to move on, move on.  If you have concerns, send the staff member a PM.  If you have concerns about a staff member, send a PM to a different staff member.

Back to the movie.

TVs Frink said:
Warbler said:
TVs Frink said:

TM2YC's and Frink's attitudes suck.

Infraction issued.

In case it wasn't clear to everyone who cares to stick around, this kind of stuff is not tolerated.  If a staff member asks you to move on, move on.  If a second staff member asks you to move on, move on.  If you have concerns, send the staff member a PM.  If you have concerns about a staff member, send a PM to a different staff member.

Back to the movie.

For the record, I did try pming a staff member. It didn’t work.

Now back to the movie.

Back
Top Bottom