• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Best MATRIX sequels re-edit?

pavan114

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can anybody give me a heads up on which of the MATRIX sequels reedits is the very best?

Dezionized seems to be the most popular.

Spence's Matrix Squared seems to most interesting, with footage from Animatrix and the video game.

Regenerated seems too long.

Doctor M's Hacked versions seem to only take out 20 minutes each.

HELP??

It is all a matter of taste.
But to have a choice is what counts here. I f you are really into Matrix you should probably watch them all and THEN decide for yourself.

yeah. watch them all and like ?Dezionized? best...

;-)

The Hacked edits are more than just taking out a scene here or there. They completely "hack" the movie and change how the story evolves. It can be hard to watch if you've seen the movies a lot but if you keep an open mind you'll get what he was trying to achieve.

that is exactly what I like about fanedits. Alternate versions, really different to the original movie. my favorite quote here: "If you liked the original, don't watch our edit!"

I prefer the edits where deleted scenes are added and scenes are remvoed more so than the ones that switch everything around. I suppose that is because I usually only watch the edits of movies I enjoyed. If I don't like the original I really don't care too much for seeing it edited. It's like you said earlier boon, it's all a matter of taste.

I've only seen Dezionized (v1.0) and Squared, but I prefer Squared between the two. I'd prefer just to watch that after watching the first Matrix rather than watching the theatrical cuts anymore. You might feel differently, though, especially since I haven't seen the most current version of Dezionized.

Personally, I liked Hacked the best, because it turns upside down Reloaded and Revolutions and creates a whole new storyline.

Squared was also good, with the added footage.

DeZioned was also nice, but I thought it only removes the Zion scenes, nothing else.

I'm surprised this question doesn't come up more often.

I, like Dork313 usually only watch (or make) edits of films I like to start with.

I have of late started catching more edits of movies I didn't like (when the changes seem to fix what I remember sucking).
If I hadn't, I would have missed out on some great stuff that I'd never rewatch the original of. (Spence's DareDevil and ADM's Pearl Harbor come to mind.)
Which once again proves that the script and director can be good or bad but the editor makes or breaks a film.

Dezionized was the first edit I ever saw even though I was disappointed by Matrix 2 and HATED M3. That's why I decided to take it on myself since CBB proved there was hope in the material.
So if it helps you decide, the philosophy of the Hacked edits are: Matrix 2 and 3 suck, lets see if it can be made enjoyable if I rewrite the script after the fact. To further dispel "only a half hour being cut": If you look carefully you'll probably find footage from all 3 films in each of the two Hacked edits. M2 runs 47 minutes light and M3 wll save you 53 minutes. Some scenes are cropped to change the context, in one scene a character has been replaced. Both films have different beginnings and different endings. It's quite... different.

I'm fixing to see Squared myself once I'm over the post traumatic stress that I find follows any editing process and prevents me from watching the films again for awhile. I do love the description and can't wait to see it.

I of course love my edit, but if you very nearly liked the original Matrix but found it to be just a bit subpar, I would strongly recommend DeZionized. They really but it back on track in the places that the Wachowski's got a little caught up with themselves.

I personally enjoyed M2 and 3 but I'm also fully aware of their problems. The Wachowski's focused to much on the video game/animatrix to tell the story. A lot of that information would have been better seen in the movie in my opinion. Although I thought the idea behind it all was good the movies were plagued by the plot holes that the video game filled. That's why I've been wanting to see Squared to see how Spence meshed these together.

my 10 cents...

I really liked both DeZionized and Squared. Have yet to watch the hacked pair.
I prefer Squared, if only because I'm more of a completest and I enjoy the Zion material, even if its in stark contrast to the rest of the stuff.

DeZionized works really well as a sequel to The Matrix. Its thematically and tonally correct, and it feels complete in the sense that all the essential information is there for the story to work. The only trouble I felt was that the pacing lacks in the last 20 mins because you are only seeing half of what is meant to be there.

Squared works more as an abridged version of the 2 films. it feels jumpy at times but the story is there as is much of the flavour provided by the Zion material.

To be honest I prefer DeZionized as I could happily watch it back to back with the Matrix and feel satisfied. But thats just me, To be honest I'd like to see an extended cut of Reloaded incorporating all the ETM material. (that in itself might prove awkward as much of the new footage only comprises of part of the film, the rest being in-game renders)

T-Hope will be happy to read that. "T-Hope! There is an audience for an extended Matrix Reloaded!" :)

boon23 said:
T-Hope will be happy to read that. "T-Hope! There is an audience for an extended Matrix Reloaded!" :)
Yeah, 'cause that is my new fanedit project...

Right now, I'm finishing the re-mixed sounds of my T3 T-HOPE fanedit, and then convert it to NTSC. In February, I'm gonna start working on my Matrix Reloaded extended edition and an extended edition of Alien vs. Predator if things will work out.

I've DL the matrix regenerated and the unpacking went ok (no crc errors) but the movie wouldn't play properly. Only the first VOB worked. the rest of them generated a: "DVD-Video playback graph building failed." error on my powerDVD.
Couldn't play them on KMplayer either.
Is there a divx version of that edit somewhere? I really don't feel like downloading the movie again... :(
Has anybody else have similar problems with that edit?

Now that I've evaluated Spence's edit I can speak a bit more semi-authoritatively on this. :) (I haven't seen CBB's v2 or Matrix Regenerated)

Spence adds some new footage that I was really surprised to see. They do a good job spackling bad plot holes. I also like the reduced bad CG work. I loved the judicious use of Final Flight of the Osiris (I very nearly used it as well, but I didn't think it would work nearly as well as it did here). (Btw, I was also impressed by the opening title-ing (sp?)). Some stuff cut I missed, some stuff kept still makes makes my skin crawl or snore (depending).

Anyway, you really have to make your own decision here.
This is one film that is really a matter of taste. For some reason everyone agrees Matrix 1 was perfect, but can't agree what works and doesn't in the sequels.

If you can't take the time to download every version, read the details.
Ask yourself what you liked about these films, and what you hated. If stuff cut were things you liked, and vice versa, it might not be for you. If you find yourself saying, "right on I woulda cut that scene too" give it a spin.

I hope that helps some of the confused still out there. You have a lot of choices, so choose wisely.

Squared feels a little jumpy in the middle. The lack of the gratuitous break between the two films is really refreshing. No neo-in-a-coma!

I feel some overlying thematic tie to the first film in Seraph's line after he fights Neo to 'id' him. So I wish that scene would've stayed.

The minor cuts of Merovingian and the Architect, more extensive cutting of Link, Hamman and Persephone is just what I would've done.

I wish there'd be a preservation edit using as much footage from animatrix and enter-the-matrix as possible.

But for what it's worth I liked Squared a little more than DeZionized.

Both take novel approaches and if I hadn't thought DeZionized was a good idea, I'd never have found Squared.

Can I ask what's the difference between SQUARED and SQUARED REVISED?

(Or might there be a thread that already covers this, so I can take my ignorant old self over there and stop pestering this one?)

Thanks!

Squared revised is simply replacing squared. It has better quality, better transitions, better sound. There are even some changes in it, improving the edit even more 8all according to spence of course)

Back
Top Bottom