• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Berandal: TheRaid 2 de-sequelised (HD Update!), Extended edition coming eventually

Having jumped back into this, it's going very nicely. I've got the total runtime including credits down to ~115 minutes - I'd really like to get it down to 100 minutes or so (same as the first film), but that's more an aspiration than a hard goal. Mainly, I want better pacing and a greater emphasis on the action.

I've done a bit more work on the opening scenes. After the conversation with TM2YC upthread, I've reinserted the scene where Eka visits Uco in prison is useful to have as it now gives us Yuda's cover story via Eka's exposition. I've dropped the second half of the scene (where one of Bunawar's guys visits Rama/Yuda) because I prefer to reveal that Yuda is undercover through the combination of Yuda finding and dropping the wire, then phoning Bunawar. I've also reordered the scenes so that Eka's visit comes before Uco talks to Yuda - since I've removed Yuda's equivocation about joining Uco's crew I wanted to make it clear that Uco had vetted Yuda before asking him to join up.

I've cut Prakoso's introduction scene with Bangun and the first hit he carries out (it doesn't tell us anything we need to know, and the fight/kill is too short to be worth keeping) along with the "Prakoso and his wife" scene, but kept in the entire night club scene. It actually works better this way - the conversation between Uco and Prakoso tells us everything we need to know about him, and the previous scene has already planted the suggestion that Uco is going to set someone up to be killed. Then after Prakoso's death, we get the conversation between Bangun and Uco about Prakoso's loyalty to the family and so on. A minimum of exposition while preserving a fantastic fight sequence :)

I've also cut the scene where Yuda talks to Bangun while they dispose of the body from his first job, because it's not necessary - everything that's discussed explicitly there is stated or implied elsewhere, and while it has some very nice cinematography (as do some of the scenes I cut from the opening) that comes at the expense of pacing.

I don't think there's much else left to cut now, but I'm still working my way through looking for little trims I can make here and there.

I think I've found the point where the deleted gunfight scene would go, and as the finished scene was posted to Vimeo in 1080p (but sadly only with stereo sound) I'm going to see whether it's worth reinserting - it's quite a nice gun battle and it seems a shame not to use it since all the post-production was finished on it.

That One Guy said:
I think I've found the point where the deleted gunfight scene would go, and as the finished scene was posted to Vimeo in 1080p (but sadly only with stereo sound) I'm going to see whether it's worth reinserting - it's quite a nice gun battle and it seems a shame not to use it since all the post-production was finished on it.

WTF! Why isn't that and all the other scenes I see on the Marantu YouTube channel not on the Blu-Ray I paid good money for (Only 1 Deleted Scene). I swear studius want to kill Blu-Ray off :(.

I've also been trying to think about cover ideas, and found some lovely fan art on DeviantArt that's giving me ideas:

Shrimpy99:
the_raid_2_by_shrimpy99-d7vczsk.png

Bejowish:
the_raid_2__bejo_s_squad_by_bejowish-d7e84rk.jpg

Bongzberry
the_raid_2___berandal_poster_a_by_bongzberry-d7ejrmk.jpg

TM2YC said:
WTF! Why isn't that and all the other scenes I see on the Marantu YouTube channel not on the Blu-Ray I paid good money for (Only 1 Deleted Scene). I swear studius want to kill Blu-Ray off :(.

I think it is the deleted scene on the Blu-Ray, it's called Gang War:

^

Like it a lot,

meh,

and quite nice drawing, horrible colouring.

Some others...

the-raid-2-poster-competition-winners-160742-a-1397212265-470-75.jpg

the-raid-2-poster-competition-winners-160742-a-1397212402-470-75.jpg

raid2post.jpg

the_raid_2_fan_art_poster_by_masolank-d786qdr.jpg

the-raid-fanart.jpg

the-raid-2-poster-competition-winners-160742-a-1397212286-470-75.jpg

the-raid-2-poster-competition-winners-160742-a-1397212148.jpg

That last one has a Criterion feel to it ^

Unrelated to the main purpose of this cut, but it bugged me in the original version: I've changed the scene where Uco realises Bejo has been playing him all along. In the original version the callbacks to Bejo letting Uco kill the men who attacked him in prison are barely half a dozen frames each, and don't have long enough to register as call backs. On top of this, the two callbacks are of the gangster looking towards Bejo and Bejo himself, not of the tattoo that Uco spots which lets him make the connection.

I've replaced both shots with longer versions (1 second and 1.5 seconds respectively), and swapped the shot of Bejo with the shot of the gangster's tattoo. I think this makes what's going on clearer, which is important given the number of factions involved. (This was something I remember being a bit unclear on when I first saw the film at the cinema).

I'm tempted to change the two callback shots to contrast-adjusted black & white, just to help differentiate them - since Uco is remembering something that happened in the same location the lighting and location is the same. Anybody have any preferences on this sort of thing?

I've got 'Gang War' yes. I'm talking about these other five scenes that Merantau Films have up on their official YouTube and Vimeo channels. Download away all you Raid2 fans because as far as I can tell, they aren't available to buy commercially and the actual filmmakers have uploaded them for free in full HD (With download links on the Vimeo pages).

...plus 'Gang War' too...

https://vimeo.com/90092972[/video]

All the other 5 are listed as "Temp Sound / No VFX" so I guess that's why the fully-finished 'Gang War' was the only one on the Blu-Ray. I'd have still rather had them all though.

Are you gonna use any of these now?

TM2YC said:
All the other 5 are listed as "Temp Sound / No VFX" so I guess that's why the fully-finished 'Gang War' was the only one on the Blu-Ray. I'd have still rather had them all though.

Are you gonna use any of these now?

Wow, I didn't realise they'd released that lot as well, thanks!

I don't think I'll use them for this edit, as I think they'd go against the kind of streamlining I'm aiming for. The sound seems OK on a first watch and I think only the Funeral & Politician's Son clips have parts where the lack of finished FX work is obvious (Yuda's obviously meant to be holding something like a microphone that he beats the politician's son with, and it looks like they were using digital effects for gunshot wounds after the funeral scene rather than squibs), so I might try putting together an extended edition incorporating all the extra scenes once this version is done.

Right, a fresh pair of eyes this morning means I've decided to remove the Gang War scene - it's a great scene, but being that it features characters we haven't seen before and won't see again, it feels somehow bloated. The main thing I was hoping to get from it was to show that cops were being killed in the gang war, to help set up Yuda being attacked in the street by cops. But as it is, the explanation with him phoning Bunawar afterwards works.

I think I'm pretty much done - I can't see anything else to trim at the moment. I'm going to replace the title card as per TM2YC's suggestion, using "Berandal" as the title. A bit of experimenting suggests that the blocky "2 Years Later" font is Impact, or very very similar to it, so I'll use that. After that, I'll create a workprint of it in its current state, and then once I'm happy with it replace my source files with Lagarith versions and export from there.

TM2YC, could you move this thread to ITW please? At this rate, I think a few more days work should be enough to wrap it up.

That One Guy said:
TM2YC, could you move this thread to ITW please?

fo shizzle

Hmmm.

I have my workprint exported and ready to be watched.

But I've also just looked back through this thread and seen TM2YC's suggestion on the first page of cutting all reference to Rama being a cop, and presenting Yuda as the "real" identity. And something about it piqued my curiosity, so I've created a duplicate project, made the requisite cuts and trims, and my gut feeling is that it'll work very nicely. Plus it feels like a more substantial fanedit, and as a bonus gets the runtime down to just around 100 minutes like I wanted :D

I'll watch both versions and see how they compare. If possible, I want to go with the shorter of the two - I think it works as a gangster story but now it feels less sprawling, and closer in pacing to the first film. Once I've watched both I'll post up my thoughts.

So this isn't going to be a sequel to 'The Raid' now? It's gonna be just 'Berandal' (Indonesian for "Thug") like the pre-Raid original script?

tumblr_inline_n6qe6oxILp1qa96s3.gif

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Looking forward to this trimmed, easier to digest version, but I'll have to buy the film first. It's always disheartening when there's a film that's so well received and loved by a lot of people and then when you watch it and well that spark isn't there. You're left wondering 'is it me, is there something wrong with me?" And yeah I know different people have different tastes, but based on how much I liked the frst I thought that would be a good basis for my enjoyment of the sequel. But apparently not.

TM2YC said:
So this isn't going to be a sequel to 'The Raid' now? It's gonna be just 'Berandal' (Indonesian for "Thug") like the pre-Raid original script?

tumblr_inline_n6qe6oxILp1qa96s3.gif

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

I suspect the original script for Berandal would have been a bit longer than how this is shaping up, but aside from that, yes - this edit is now a standalone film.

Omaru1982 said:
Looking forward to this trimmed, easier to digest version, but I'll have to buy the film first. It's always disheartening when there's a film that's so well received and loved by a lot of people and then when you watch it and well that spark isn't there. You're left wondering 'is it me, is there something wrong with me?" And yeah I know different people have different tastes, but based on how much I liked the frst I thought that would be a good basis for my enjoyment of the sequel. But apparently not.

I do think there's a great deal to like in the second film, and I admire the desire to not just recycle the formula for the first film, but I know what you mean - if what you loved in The Raid was the frenetic action and the way everything that happened was moving us from one excellent sequence to the next, I can very much understand TR2 as a slow-moving disappointment for most of the first hour. I do think the last 3rd of the film is almost perfect in its original form (so the only cuts I've made so far are to remove scenes or dialogue that relates to Yuda being Rama's cover story), so hopefully this cut will deliver the version of the film you were hoping for.

I've just finished watching the workprint and I'm quite happy with how it works. The pacing is much better and the crime drama storyline still works in its simplified form. I've got a list of minor tweaks and fixes to make before it's ready for release, and I'm busy IRL the next 4-5 days so I'll aim to have it finished and ready for release by the end of next week or so.

One question while I'm here - I mentioned upthread I've been using a placeholder file created with handbrake as I needed the subtitles burned into the file. Is there any particularly simple way of creating a lagarith avi with subtitles burned in? I really can't be arsed having to recreate the subtitles for the whole film if there's any way to avoid it, but I'd also like to work with as high quality a source file as possible.

Update: I think the editing is done on this. I've had to make a couple of edits that I'm not yet 100% sold on to finish things off - removing Yuda spying on Bejo/Uco's meeting introduces a continuity error that I've worked around, but I want to leave it a day or two and look at it with fresh eyes to see whether it throws off the pacing of the scene or not; in a similar fashion, removing Bunawar from the closing montage required some slight fudging of the audio track; I can't eliminate it entirely due to leakage into the centre channel, so I've got something that's a reasonable compromise.

The only part of the narrative where it has proven tricky to remove the whole "undercover" aspect was the conversation between Yuda and Eka in the car after the car chase sequence - in the original, this is where we discover that Eka was also undercover, but I think I've successfully trimmed it so that it's now Eka telling Yuda that they're both the same (as in, footsoldiers or lieutenants rather than leaders); without the context of them being undercover, I think it suggests more that Uco's desire for power will never end and that will get them all killed, hence the "if you want out, kill them all" comment.

If anyone's interested I'll probably upload a final workprint to Vimeo - I think I've caught all the things that need fixing, but extra eyes are always welcome if they help me avoid people downloading an imperfect edit...

It's taken me a bit longer than I'd like to find out how to create a suitable Lagarith file with the subtitles burned in as required. (In the end the solution was a combination of SubMux to create a useful SRT version of the subtitle file produced by DVD Decrypter and the VSFilter plugin for VirtualDub, but I spent a fair bit of time experimenting with various other approaches before arriving at this one).

I'm putting together a DVD at the moment, and will be testing it tomorrow to confirm that it's OK and that I'm satisfied with the narrative in the edit. Barring either render/encode problems or a hitherto-unseen storytelling hole, I should have this uploaded sometime tomorrow. An added bonus for me is that this will be my first edit with 5.1 sound.

Also: I just discovered this nifty browser-based game that was put together to promote the film.

Very much looking forward to this and cool idea of cutting out Rama being a cop.

A brief update - the DVD release is taking longer than I'd hoped, due to unexpected issues when attempting to follow good practice for the final render and compounded by my source material being PAL.

I can have an MP4 ready and uploaded on Monday - if you want to check it out, PM me. Otherwise I'll update the thread when the DVD release is ready. And if you happen to have advice on how to render the output from Vegas, please post in my thread over in Technical Information.

Take your time, this'll be worth the wait I'm sure :).

Back
Top Bottom