• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Batman: The Dark Knight

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, it is amazing how much a soundtrack can affect the feel and drive of a movie! By replacing the original soundtrack with music from the first two Batman movies (along with other sources), this fan edit has a much darker, serious, epic tone. Along with the muted colours and some very good edits, this is a leaner, meaner Batman movie. :)

I just wish there was a way to cut more of Jim Carrey's and Tommy Lee Jones' way, way, way over the top performances without losing vital story plot elements and keep the movie more seriously grounded. But you can only work with what you got.... I also wish some of the deleted scenes dealing with Dick and Bruce had been restored to give their characters a fuller development( makes me very curious as to how the RED BOOK edit will differ and work).

That said, I found the video and sound quality very good. Most of the cuts seemed to me to be very clean and flawless. It is a very enjoyable fan edit. It is definitely now my preferred version of Batman Forever. Great work!!! :smile:

Sorry, was I not clear, this is my review of AvP fan edit of Batman (Forever) Dark Knight.

I am still attempting to download your RED BOOK edit but it is painfully slow. But I am definitely looking forward to it, is sounds very interesting. :D

not Avp but Paulisdead2221

I just watched Dark Knight a second time, and enjoyed it even more. This is a fantastic edit of a very weak, uncentered movie! You have definitely made it worthy sequel to first two Batman films by Tim Burton.

I can't believe there have not been more comments on it, as this edit really deserves to be seen! :)

Again, I loved the new soundtrack. It definitely feels more like a Batman movie, more connected to the first two movies. Plus the muted colours help keep the movie more grounded.

But enough gushing, if you ever plan on a VERSION 2 of this edit, I did notice a few minor things....

When Batman arrives on the scene on the batrope to confront TWO FACE at the bank, there is a one/two second clip of Commissioner Gordon and Dr. Meridan looking up.... so I am not certain if you meant to cut this out or if we the audience we meant to see them. So I would clean this up on a version 2.

When Batman chases Two Face and gang out of the Gotham Ritz there is a cut to Dr. Meridan looking very lusty after Batman. Since the love triangle is no longer present in this cut (I decision I gleefully approve of), I think this scene is very much out of place and could be cut.

Also the whole scene of Nigma trying to decide on a name and costume could be cut too since he announces his new identity in the next scene at Two Face's hide out. It feels almost redundant to me.

As much I love how you were able to trim and streamline the movie, I thought Robin's storyline got cut a bit too much. I think your edit could have benifited from an edited version of the scene after the Gotham Ritz where Bruce tells Dick he can not be his partner. I think it is logical follow through after what happened with Robin rescuing Batman, also it would connect to later where Alfred tells Bruce that Dick has run away. Also, I think the deleted scene of Bruce and Dick talking after the circus, and Bruce kicks off the top of the training pole thing, would have made a nice addition to there character development.

Also, in the deleted scenes there is that whole dream like sequence of Bruce in the cave, reading the contents of the red leather book and confronting the giant bat. Scaperat's Batman Forever's edit masterfully reinserted these scenes and I think you edit could benifit from them too as it would bring better closure to the whole dream/memory storyline. However, from a storytelling point of view, you could approach it very differently. In Forever, the confronting of the Bat made Bruce decide to give up being Batman. However, it could be edited so the Bat confrontation just reaffirms his guilt and quest for justice. When Bruce is knocked unconcious in the manor and camera zooms into his closed eye, you could reinsert the whole red book/bat confrontation sequence, and then cut out with Bruce opening his eyes in bed. Just an idea... :smile:

Anyway, just wanted to say once again, congratulations on a truly masterful edit! Looking forward to your next project. :)

Just finished watching it.
And as much as I wanted to like it, I couldnt.
The biggest hurdle is the over-the-top acting from... everyone. Did the cast enrolled in the Jim Carrey School of Overacting before principle photography started? I can see the curriculum:
MANIACAL LAUGHTER 101, LOUDER IS BETTER, FACE TWITCHING FOR BEGINNERS, ETC.

Technically, I too saw the flash frames. I got some in my fanedits as well and i hates them. I usually trim 2 frames from a cut in and out, and that takes care of any half field images. They are hard to catch on an editing system. you have to watch the dvd, but usually by this point, i just want to get it out and sometimes i miss them. Oh well.

The art of an editor is to have the work unnoticed. If anything sticks out, you need to keep working at it.
for this reason the Prince music didnt work for me since it was very apparent that it was overlaid over the actual background score and since you had trimmed out the entire workout /crash door gag, the music came out of nowhere. And since they no longer meet at the bank heist, Kidman's character had no introduction. It felt choppy.

Some of the music cues also came in hard on an edit. May i suggest using the film's score to smooth some of these edits out?

And did you really desaturate this film? mein Gott in Himmel! what were the studios thinking? oh well, i guess it goes hand in hand with the acting: over the top.

I hope my comments don't discourage you and will keep an eye out for your next project. :)

original film name: Batman Forever
new film name : Batman: The Dark Knight
film studio name : Warner Bros
edit crew name : PaulisDead2221
Original Film Was Released : 16 June 1995 date
Date Edit Was Released : 28 August 2007
Original Runtime : 122 min
New Runtime : 81 min
Amount of time Cut/Added : 41 min

Stylistically, the color has been greatly desaturated, the shadows have been emphasized, and high tones diminished. The entire film has been darkened just a little bit, and the aspect ratio has been cropped to appear wider. The beginning of the film is reassembled to open up at Wayne Enterprises, where Bruce Wayne meets Edward Nigma. In the midst of the conversation, Bruce notices the Bat signal outside, dismisses himself, and visits Two-Face at the bank heist. After the Statue of Liberty sequence, the film continues with the Murder of Stickly, and the film progresses as normal, with over 40 minutes of cuts along the way. There is no longer a love triangle between Bruce Wayne, Chase Meridian, and Batman. Edward Nigma's character, though not as calm and calculating as he is portrayed in every other manifestation throughout the franchise (except the Adam West version of course), has been trimmed to kill the more "Jim Carey" moments. The city of Gotham has been toned down greatly, with the black light sequences cut, and generally just being greatly pushed out of sight whenever possible.

The musical score has been completely revamped. Though not the intention to completely abrogate Goldenthal's score, Mostly cut out is the revamped Batman Forever Bat Theme, replacing it with Elfman's theme. Goldenthal's score has been left alone in the development sections, as it mostly isn't bothersome or cheesy. Action sequences have been sourced mostly from Danny Elfman's themes from the original Batman, and Shirley Walker's score from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. A Khachaturian Ballet Suite is utilized as a theme throughout the film. A Prince song also enjoys a short cameo, a nod to the original film.

Time needed for the edition: Five days
persons involved: PaulisDead2221
Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

this was really good, it didnt have deleted scenes but it was good. im not saying redbook edition was bad but redbook was to desaturated this was perfect when it came to colour saturation. some people complain the music was to loud in some parts. so what. it was to drown out the other music (because u added in elmans score) it is hard to put a song over a song and try to keep the sound effects. but this one was good cuz the music u added in was just at thr right voloume that u could hear elfmans score and the soundeffects. in these parts the sound effects may be a bit harded to hear but then just turn up your computer people!!! This is great without deleted scenes and i love it!!!!!!!! It is great edit and seems very proffesional. Great work!

post edited by boon23

I was recently watching "Forever" on tv and they did almost the EXACT same cut that the editor did here when Bruce visits Chase for the first time. The V.O of their lines from AFTER the door kick scene is heard as Bruce is walking up the steps. However, this channel did it SLIGHTLY better. They start the V.O as Bruce is walking out of his car, leaving enough of the lines to be heard as he's walking up the steps so that when we see them talking, we DON'T notice the broken door off it's hinges in the background.

Back
Top Bottom