• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Back to the Future 2&3 merged

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey everyone. I've finished my fan edit of the BTTF sequels and have uploaded it online. I've basically kept the storyline the same, however I've cut out or trimmed certain portions that dragged out the runtime. I've eliminated a lot of references to the first film, mostly "call back" jokes. This fan edit is about half part 2 and half part 3. The runtime is just under 2 hours and 40 minutes (with credits).

I'm not trying to improve on the originals by any means. My focus was not to fix up any errors with the plot (time travel inconsistencies). I did this mainly for myself and for others who want to watch the entire story, but don't have 9 hours to do it.

tagline: Sometimes less is more.
Basic details: To combine the BTTF sequels into one epic film.
original film name: Back to the Future 2, Back to the Future 3
new film name : Back to the Future 2 and 3 merged
film studio name :
edit crew name :
Date Original Film Was Released : 1989,1990
Date Edit Was Released : 2010
Original Runtime : 109 minutes, 119 minutes
New Runtime : 160 minutes
Amount of time Cut/Added : About 29 minutes cut from part 2, about 36 minutes cut from part 3.

Fanedit details:
Intention (why did you do it): The BTTF sequel was originally supposed to be one epic film, with the old west being the 3rd act. My fan edit makes it the second half.
Editing Details (how did you do it): Simple cuts and fades.
Cuts removed/added/extended (add list of what was changed):

[spoiler:212swxy6]- open with Doc arriving in the Delorean
- cut Biff shots when Delorean takes off
- cut Doc talking about his "rejuvenation"
- trim Doc watching Marty jr.
- cut Doc - "precisely on schedule"
- trim shot of Marty standing around when he first looks around
- cut Jaws 19 gag
- cut Marty's shocked reaction when he tries to walk into the café 80's.
- cut Michael Jackson talking
- trim Griff reveal from Marty. (no "are you 2 related?" no "say hi to your grandma for me")
- trim "Are you in or out" sequence (no "shoes unbelt", no "discuss it with my father, no "got no scrote?)
- after Marty shoves Griff of him cut to "the answer is no"
- after Griff gets electrocuted from swinging bat into tv, cut to Marty running outside
- trim a little of hoverboard chase
- cut Griff's gangs lines "Boards don't work on water" etc...
- cut "Hook on"
- cut "Holy Shit" and "Buttheads"
- cut "Dustbuster" lines
- after cop says "lets bring her home' cut to Doc gasping and then talking about the consequences
- cut some of police officers lines when bringing Jennifer home
- cut after George mentions golf course
- cut lines before Lorraine says "About 30 years ago..."
- cut first shot of Delorean landing
- cut Marty talking to his son
- cut some lines at dinner table
- cut Marty's daughter's line "Dad it's for you"
- trim Marty being fired
- cut after Doc's line "Time traveling is much too dangerous"
- cut "are we back". After time travel occurs, cut to Delorean landing on the ground
- trim some of Marty being attacked by father with baseball bat
- trim some of Marty running around
- cut Mr. Strickland's line about getting off his porch with his "nuts intact"
- cut "Red" scene
- trim Biff video that Marty watches
- cut Biff's line "Did you get kicked out of another boarding school?"
- cut Biff's line 'Always a little hothead huh?"
- cut Marty looking for his father's grave, used thunderclap as a segue from Lorraine's line, to the tombstone
- after Grave scene, cut to Doc moving boxes out of way to pick up chalkboard
- after Clint shows the bulletproof vest, cut to Marty turning off the tv
- cut Marty's line "No, not money"
- trim some dialogue when Biff explains how he got the almanac (no mention of going back to the future, no mention of hill valley lightening storm, no mention of Biff crashing into the manure truck)
- cut out "Biff murdered George" dialogue
- trim dialogue before they go back to 1955
- cut "what if we don't succeed?"
- trim some dialogue as Doc tells Marty what he has to do
- cut out Biff throwing kid' ball. Once Biff leaves his front door, audio overlay "It is Biff's house, I'm on him" and cut to "Mr Sandman" scene.
- cut Lorraine's "million dollars" line. After Biff says "You're going to the dance with me" cut to her kicking him.
- trim some dialogue of Biff talking to himself
- cut Marty in the back of Biff's car on the way to the dance
- cut entire sequence of Doc talking to his other self
- when Marty looks through binoculars, cut to shot of them spiking punch, after next binoculars shot, cut to shot of Biff noticing Principal, and beginning to walk away.
- cut Marty noticing his past self
- cut Principal lines and go straight to "Homework Tannen?"
- when Marty follows principal cut sequence of Marty passing his past self
- cut after Marty gets almanac and shouts "Yes!!"
- after Doc flies away, cut to Marty watching past self and Biff calling him out (no Biff's goons, no Marty protecting his past self)
- after Biff crashes his car and Marty shouts "Yes!!" cut to Lyon Estates
- after Marty asks Doc if everything is alright, cut to Doc saying "Have you got the book?"
- when first lightening bolt hits, Doc gets struck.
- after Doc says "Great Scott", thunderclap and audio overlap dialogue from part 3 "Dear Marty, if my calculations are correct...". Use establishing shot of Doc's home for cutaway.
- cut Doc being happy about being a blacksmith
- after explosion, use audio overlap for Marty saying "Doc, check it out..."
- after they discover time machine and we see it, cut to night-time shot of them lifting onto the truck hatch
- cut to Doc calling out to his dog
- after Marty mentions "Mad Dog" use audio about him being "quick on the trigger" for shot of Doc bringing the other book over with Marty's relatives in it.
- After Marty parks in the cave, when he turns around, cut to him pulling arrow out of car (no calvery scenes).
- After Marty's ancestor says "We've got a hurt man here", cut to dinner scene
- after Marty spits out bullets, cut to shot of Marty walking on train tracks
- after Marty notices gravestone chipper, cut to him walking into Saloon.
- cut some of gambler's lines and women on top floor
- cut Mad Dog's lines after Marty's reaction/head nod and go straight to him pulling is gun
- trimmed some of Marty hanging
- cut out some of Mad Dog and Doc's dialogue. After he mentions "75 dollars for the horse" cut to "So from now on, you better be looking behind you when you walk", and then cut to them leaving.
- after Marty and Doc hug, cut to Doc's looking at tombstone picture with audio overlay "Over a matter of 80 dollars? Now I wish I'd paid him off." Then cut to Doc's line "Alright, let's get the delorean.."
- as Marty asks "So what do we do?" overlay Train whistle, and cut to train conductor mentioning how fast the train goes
- after Doc says "This is where we'll push the Delorean with the locomotive" cut to them at the edge of the train tracks.
- cut after Marty says "good luck with the schooling and everything" to "Clara's line "I'm almost glad that snake spooked my horses..."
- after Marty's line "Lets just get the Delorean ready and get the hell out of here" cut to Marty turning on the walkie-talkie.
- cut after Doc says "Of course, the festival" to Mayor's speech
- cut Marty and Doc's line before they take their photo
- cut Mad Dog talking to the sheriff
- when gun salesman asks Marty if he wants to try out the gun, cut to him handing Marty the gun
- after Marty hands back the gun, cut out gun salesman asking him where he learned to shoot like that
- cut out Schameus and Maggie being confused by Marty's "Frisbee' reference.
- cut out Mad Dog talking to Clara. After she says "I don't dance well when my partner has a gun in his hand" and he says "You'll learn" cut to her kicking him in the shin.
- after Doc and Clara kiss, cut to Marty walking around the next morning
- cut out cigar guy asking Marty if there's anything he can do for him
- after the Delorean is placed on the train tracks, cut to Marty sleeping.
- trim Doc walking through the bar
- cut after "Got me a runt to kill"
- cut Marty's line "Back to the future!!!"
- cut Marty asking how many drinks Doc had.
- cut mad Dog not knowing what "Forfeit" means.
- trimmed Mad Dog's countdown (trimmed reaction shots from other bar patrons, and some dialogue)
- cut Mad Dog giving Marty one minute to decide
- cut some beats when Marty and Mad Dog are facing off (reaction shots)
- after Marty says "I thought we could settle this like men" cut to Mad Dog shooting him
- cut some reaction shots from people watching
- cut line 'Get him outta that shit"
- after Doc says 'The train' cut to them getting on their horses
- after Schameus says "Maybe i'll trade it for a new hate" cut to them riding their horses.
- after Clara runs towards Doc's shop, cut to her seeing time machine, added music for this scene to remove her line "Time machine".
- trimmed some shots of Doc and Marty catching up to the train.
- trimmed some shots of Doc and Marty running on the train
- cut lines "Is this a stick up?" "It's a science experiment."
- cut Marty's line "Check Doc" when he changes the tracks
- cut Clara's line "Golly"
- trimmed Clara reaching up to Doc
- cut Marty's line "The Red log is about to blow!!"
- trimmed reactions from people in their cars when Marty is back in his time
- cut Biff's line "I really like that Hat Marty"
- cut Jennifer's lines about Marty being fired
- trim build up for race (light changes much quicker)
- trim train bells, have train arrive sooner
- cut out dialogue "So where you heading now Doc? Back to the future?" "Nope. Already been there".
- end credits from BTTF 2 (with first credit shot of part 3).[/spoiler:212swxy6]

Tech Info:
Hardware and software information (what did you use to create your fanedit): Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD
Release details (describe available version(s)):
Time needed for the edition: About 3 weeks
persons involved: just me

Hint Hint. this is an UNAPPROVED fanedit. :smile:

Indeed.
Just click the Unapproved link at the bottom of info

It appears that you can download all the parts except for part 37. I've tried cryptload and jdownloader but they aren't able to download it. I'd really like to see this fanedit since I'm a huge BTTF fan.

Worked fine for me so the file(s) in question are likely temporarily offline. I don't know of MU is like RS in this manner, but it's not uncommon for files be temporarily offline.

I should clarify "worked fine" here. It took me about 2 days for JD to download this from MU. I do not have any type of account, not even a free one with MU, and since JD kept reporting having to wait, I attributed this to that face\t. The first half of the files downloaded relatively normal, however after about the first half, it drug on and on.

Stretch is reporting the same thing. I am not familiar with MU so do not know if this is a normal issue, or something funky with TD's links.

Once they all downloaded however, they were all functioning and the movie burned to DVD just fine (hope to watch tonight).

Any thoughts from the more seasoned MU account holders?

I have a free MU account and downloaded really quick with JD without waiting between files...
Actually just a few seconds which is normal.

For me, it downloaded as fast (700 - 800 kb/s) as any other MU hosted fanedit anyway.

i've not finished reviewing/watching this, but so far really positive feedback for ya - the flow works great. removal of the more childish elements aren't missed at all. pacing seems well done besides a few rushed moments (and i wasn't really a fan of the opening... a bit too jolting). look forward to finishing it.

Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to your thoughts on the entire edit.

Watched it today. I really liked it, image looked perfect on my regular television, didnt notice anything off in the audio video departments (i dont have a 5.1 system). The flow was nice and everything you cut worked great. The tranzition from bttf 2 into bttf 3 was hardly noticable at all. I say it's a better ride this way, as opposed to watching the two movies seperately, and i'm of the opinion that this should definately be approved! Nicely done tylerdurden389 :D

Rogue-theX said:
Watched it today. I really liked it, image looked perfect on my regular television, didnt notice anything off in the audio video departments (i dont have a 5.1 system). The flow was nice and everything you cut worked great. The tranzition from bttf 2 into bttf 3 was hardly noticable at all. I say it's a better ride this way, as opposed to watching the two movies seperately, and i'm of the opinion that this should definately be approved! Nicely done tylerdurden389 :D

Thank you SO MUCH for the compliments!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it. The transition from part 2 to part 3 was key to making this work. It was actually the first edit I thought of when the I got the idea to do this fan edit. And THANK YOU for saying this should be approved!!

I haven't watched this yet but I will soon.
But for the time being, should this be approved already?

- After Marty parks in the cave, when he turns around, cut to him pulling arrow out of car (no calvery scenes).

this cut doesnt make sense to me, why would the indians not pursue marty/delorean?
the only reason (in my mind) that they keep going (after seeing a strange time machine appear in front of them) is because they are being chased by the cavalry...who didnt see the time machine.

anyway, the other cuts all seem solid :)

Simply cut for time. TBH, if I had any real video editing skills, I would've done a fade to white as soon as Marty goes through time and eliminate the indians completely. But alas, I made due with what I have. Glad you liked it for everything else though!!

I tried to watch this, but I just couldn't finish it. Too many of the cuts were painful for me, as this was my favorite trilogy as a kid. I appreciate what you tried to do, but I guess this is one of those movies that (for me) shouldn't be messed with.

dark4181 said:
I tried to watch this, but I just couldn't finish it. Too many of the cuts were painful for me, as this was my favorite trilogy as a kid. I appreciate what you tried to do, but I guess this is one of those movies that (for me) shouldn't be messed with.

Fair enough. When I first got the idea to do this I never intended to try and improve these films in any way. If you like the trilogy as is that's fine. I simply made this for people who want to sit down and watch the entire story, but don't have 6 hours in which to do it. Believe me, there's plenty of movies I love that have been fan edited here and I refuse to watch them because I wouldn't want to see how they've been edited.

Thread moved from the Unapproved section.

This edit is APPROVED. Great work tylerdurden389! It had been quite some time for me since I watched Part II and III and I didn't miss much at all. The narrative flowed very well and logically. You took many shortcuts which excised silly bits but kept the flow. Many smart cuts in this, from what they were talking about to the action being discussed. There are three minor notes, none of which prevent approval but which I'd strongly suggest addressing to improve this even more.

16:40ish - you can tell Biff is about to speak right when it cuts - cut a second earlier or insert some grumbling
45:30ish - audio cut slightly abrupt, maybe lead with a western sting?
1:44:52ish - slightly abrupt cut with audio, also recommend playing a little musical sting to transition smoother

Other than that, great job. The video was a bit soft but to be honest I think that's just my HD snobbery watching a DVD for the first time in a long time. :)

It's kinda rough but I made a DVD cover for this edit on my shelf and figured I'd share it here:

Back
Top Bottom