• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Babylon 5: Thirdspace - Episodic

Compliments @"GelflingHand" . This was very enjoyable to watch!

I added my review on IFDB. In case you consider tweaking your edit, here are my suggestions for two audio transitions:

The music that swells up before the opening credits dies down without having gone anywhere: it sounds cut off. Allow the climax of the piece to play out (in the original that's the moment the station comes into view): either play it longer and let it go into the opening credits, or trim the slow swell in that music so the climax arrives sooner.

The transition from climax music to end credits sounds seamless on my PC speakers, but with good headphones the transition is noticeable. Smooth out the audio transition or cut a few frames. Now it feels like two separate pieces of music that are too on-top-of each other.

Other than these minor audio points, I loved it! Do another one!
The cover is great too. Well done!

lapis molari said:
The music that swells up before the opening credits dies down without having gone anywhere: it sounds cut off. Allow the climax of the piece to play out (in the original that's the moment the station comes into view): either play it longer and let it go into the opening credits, or trim the slow swell in that music so the climax arrives sooner.

I'm not sure there is a good solution. It overlaps dialogue, so can't easily be started earlier, so I cut the penultimate "beat" to bring in the climax early instead. The unedited music runs too long to keep the screen black, and an establishing shot of the station like in the original would be visually wrong as a lead-in to the credits. I don't like the idea of messing with the title music at all. After the swelling, the music segues into the next scene rather than ending naturally (the way I patched it after the credits works?) so has to be faded out a bit too quickly.

An audio expert could probably do a better job, but I think it would be a challenge for anyone.

The transition from climax music to end credits sounds seamless on my PC speakers, but with good headphones the transition is noticeable.

I need to get some better headphones, then! (I'd been thinking that anyway)

Other than these minor audio points, I loved it! Do another one!

I had wondered if it would be worth converting the Gathering into two season one episodes. Having two different official cuts to work with would make it interesting. Assuming I could get hold of the original version - I thought it had been released on DVD, but if so it's not easy to track down. :(

I do have a non-B5 project in the works, but it's not ready to announce yet.

Back
Top Bottom