• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Baby Driver - Love-Driven

JasonFlippy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Poster.jpg

Trailer showing off three of my favorite and more technically-challenging edits from the movie.

SPOILERS FOR BABY DRIVER!

I've been working on a cut of Baby Driver that doesn't have such a weird 180° turn from Kevin Spacey's character. Specifically the fix is related to:

Removing all "this is Baby's last job and then he's out" dialogue, WHICH THEN LETS ME...
Remove the dinner scene with Kevin Spacey threatening Debora if Baby decides to actually quit, WHICH THEN...
Makes Kevin Spacey's "oh shit, you're in love? I was in love once too." character turn make way more sense.

It's always bothered me that Spacey would go from "hey kid, fuck you, earn me money or I'll kill your girlfriend" to "aw you're in love with her? I guess I'll literally die for you."

I didn't see this idea anywhere else, so please speak up if someone is already working on it :)

----------------
FIRST DRAFT COMPLETE!

I think I have succeeded in turning this from "Baby is forced to drive to pay back a debt" to "Baby wants to drive because he likes it but now he wants to quit because he's in love". Going to do a test run with an audience and see what changes still need to be made. Final draft should be submitted this week, then it's on to The Mist.

----------------
FINAL DRAFT COMPLETE!
I think I have finally succeeded in tightening up this movie, fixing the issues with Doc's character, softening some of the strong violence (this is supposed to be a fun movie), and giving Baby more agency over his own life and decisions. Now when the movie ends, it's clear what happened, the reality is concrete, and everything feels earned and deserved.

Poster coming soon, and a quick trailer showing off some of my more fun edits :)

Updated change list:
Added: Hardcoded subs to all sign-language scenes (English)
Removed: Doc and Baby in garage "one last job" and "getting square"
Foley: Footsteps, bag, hand-off, zipper, background noise
Removed: Baby telling Joe "one more job, then I'm done"
Removed: Some awkward dialogue during Baby and Debora's meet-cute
Removed: Doc pressuring Baby to drive again
Added: Shots of Debora while Baby decides if he wants to drive
Removed: Doc telling Baby's backstory, which lead to being in Doc's debt
Removed: Doc giving Baby his last paycheck and telling him they're "straight"
Removed: Three really quick submliminal shots of his memories
Shortened: Baby's flashback to when he's a kid
Removed: Baby leaving the scrapyard, throwing away gloves, tossing burner
Removed: Baby telling Debora he misses his mom
Removed: Baby telling Debora he's done driving for good
Removed: Baby telling Joe that he's done
Removed: Doc threatening Baby and Debora if Baby doesn't drive
Music: Lined up the word "kiss" with Baby and Debora kissing
Added: Text wipe saying "One Week Later"
Moved: Diner call with Debora to before Baby takes his next job
Changed: Baby's dialogue so he's telling Debora *this* is his last job
Removed: Debora saying she thought Baby was done driving
Added: Shots of past violence to show Baby's concerns
Removed: Doc threatening Joe at Baby's apartment
Added: Shot of Debora singing at the diner
Removed: Imagined sequence of Debora in black and white
Removed: The crew finding Debora's tape
Removed: Doc saying "take this fool back to his shithole"
Removed: Bats threatening to kill Baby
Added: Tense violin audio to cover transition
Removed: Bats double-tapping the guard. One shot is enough.
Shortened: The running chase scene from 5:20 to 4:00 (-80s)
Removed: Buddy saying "Baby you are a fucking jinx!"
Removed: Bloody shots of cops being killed by Buddy
Matched: The gunshots to a 4/4 rhythm like Edgar would have
Removed: Cop saying "can you show me where you're shot?"
Altered: Speed of rotation to cover missing dialogue
Removed: Buddy saying "right there" when he shoots the cop
Removed: ENTIRE ending before getting stopped on the bridge
Overlaid: Sky Ferreira singing "Easy Like Sunday Morning"

Last edited:
It also always bothered me that Debora
didn't learn sign language for him.
It seemed like a pretty obvious Chekov's Gun that since
he's deaf at the end of the movie
AND
he already knows sign language
that they would line up somehow, but since they don't I'll either try to fix that or I might remove that aspect entirely.

Oh I meant after he gets out! That's 5 years later :)

Hahaha it certainly does seem like a dream sequence huh? That's why I was thinking about removing it entirely, maybe just make it so the bridge scene with the cops never happens, fade while he's with Debora.

It's definitely ambiguous. Starts with him closing his eyes and imagining it (in B&W), and then as the colour comes up we're meant to believe (maybe) that it's not a daydream and it really happened (and neither of them aged, and she bought/restored a crazy expensive car somehow, etc.). You could try cutting to back just before he closes his eyes. Though it's also fine as it is, in my opinion. Or maybe you keep the whole sequence in B&W and just commit to the interpretation that he's thinking about "that day".

Any interest in making Buddy a little less bulletproof and giving them a happy ending after the Cafe with no parking garage shootout? I suppose doing so may be a bit too sweet and clean for some.

I kinda don't mind leaving Buddy alive. He's a bit of a doucher but if someone
got my super hot girlfriend killed
I'd be pissed too. I'll see what I can do :)

Last edited:
Just finished my first draft. about 15 mins of cuts leaving it at about 100 mins, and a new ending (unfortunately not a very Buddy-friendly one @Ender).
I think I succeeded in getting my changes to work, fixing the story so Spacey isn't such a 180-flip character for no reason.
I'll post a trailer and a poster in a few days and submit it sometime soon. Probably have my wife critique it again first haha

Last edited:
I don't think you understood. I'm saying to kill off Buddy even earlier, not save him. He gets shot at the cafe and that's the end of it.

Why are you spoiler tagging things? If you're on this thread you've seen the movie.

I don't think you understood. I'm saying to kill off Buddy even earlier, not save him. He gets shot at the cafe and that's the end of it.

Why are you spoiler tagging things? If you're on this thread you've seen the movie.
I prefer to spoiler tag anyway just to be safe, people read things without expecting to have endings spoiled. Maybe they're like me, there are a lot of movies I own that I haven't seen in a long time and I like to watch fan edits like that, with only vague memories of what the movie was like.

I think I could make a Buddy-minimized ending, but I did also already give them a real happy ending, I think you'll appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to seeing this! When you have some time, please add a change log to your opening post so we can see what you've done ahead of time...

SPOILERS:

So after watching it with my wife we just couldn't come up with a reason for Baby to do the Post Office job. The original reason is Baby wanted out (he was done and disillusioned by the Armored Car heist) but because Doc threatens to kill Debora he has to show up. I was trying really hard to find some way to make a scene where Baby implies "I just need the money from one more job and we can leave together" but it seems impossible. I'm going to leave this cut as-is for now, maybe do some changes later, because it mostly works and it has a happy ending.

BUT I came up with another solution: Remove the disillusion and hesitation. Baby is a criminal, through and through, and Debora loves him anyway. He's a good guy who doesn't *want* anyone hurt, but he's not Good. I think this cut will end with him in prison, no happy/imagined ending.

If anyone would like to help me figure out how to fix the Happy Ending / Debora cut, I would love some advice. The Prison Ending / Bad Guy cut actually kind of writes itself.

It's been a while since I watched the film so I can't remember the specifics in enough detail but - could you change the sequence of events so that it's now the Post Office job that would be Baby's last heist so he can pay off Doc and then leave? Maybe also recut the conversation with Doc about the tape with Baby's mother singing so that instead, Doc tells Baby they're straight. You'd need to do it so that we're watching Baby while Doc says the line, so that you don't have to worry about lipsync or anything.

could you change the sequence of events so that it's now the Post Office job that would be Baby's last heist so he can pay off Doc and then leave?
I would love to but one of the main characters that dies in the Post Office job is a big part of the Armored Car job.
Maybe also recut the conversation with Doc about the tape with Baby's mother singing so that instead, Doc tells Baby they're straight. You'd need to do it so that we're watching Baby while Doc says the line, so that you don't have to worry about lipsync or anything.
That's a pretty good idea, I'll see if I can work with it, thanks!

Ah, I phrased that very poorly - what I was thinking of is more like recutting the dialogue around the jobs so that now the Post Office job is Baby's last job to pay off his debt. The jobs still have to play out in the same sequence, as you say.

This gives you a way of still having Baby on the same trajectory of wanting out, while resolving the question of why he'd take the Post Office job after how the Armored Car job plays out.

That's very interesting! Between Job #1 and Job #2 there are basically the same scene (Baby and Doc load money in trunks) and Baby and Doc always wear the same clothes. That could work!

I think I've done it! While I was trying to do what you suggested @That One Guy, I realized Baby was giving me 90% of the dialogue I needed, I just had to fill in the gaps. Thank you for the advice, you freed me from editor's block haha I'll credit you in my posting :)

Back
Top Bottom