• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Awesome Online Videos (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)

A sped-up timelapse type video of a fan trying to recreate old Doctor Who titles in HD...

What I wouldn't give for this to be real...

Love that they got Corey Burton (the voice of the Machete trailers and El Rey Network promos) for this to add a level of authenticity.

this feels like an old documentary, but it's still a pretty interesting watch.
it's about professional studio editing movies . . .

eff !   i guess i don't know how to embed a video.  if an admin wants to fix that, i won't be offended would worship them forever.

I fixed that... Oh and also, thank you for the worship.  ;)

bailey, you must tithe.

and obey.

Sherlock the Hip-Hop-Musical version...

A really polished video and it looks like they filmed at the same locations in London.

[AvP stop motion vid /\]

jeebus!!  this video makes my life a complete waste of time.

Plissken1138 said:
The Marvel Symphonic Universe

[removed vid from quote]

is Danny Elfman slowly morphing into Elton John ?

awesome video by the by, good find @"Plissken1138" .  
that guy's entire channel is really good (Every Frame A Painting).

That Marvel Symphonic Universe video makes you wonder.....were temp tracks used in The Force Awakens?

Fascinating video.

The Mad Max point is selective and doesn't quite fly though IMO. The music was very distinctive in that movie and you heard it for sure, it was like a character in the movie chasing the heroes. Also if he'd asked me to hum a Marvel theme, I could have hummed Brian Tyler's theme from 'Thor: The Dark World' in a heartbeat (Terrific score)...

...and there are many points in Thor2 where the score plays out in full with no distractions. Still his general points are excellent. However I'd conclude that people don't remember Marvel music because they mostly don't do "Themes" for each character like say John Williams. It's the constant repetition of themes when characters are on screen that make people remember (Thor2 being the exception).

Marvel need to maintain themes across movies more. e.g. If Thor appears in the Avengers, or in a cameo in another Marvel movie we need to hear that theme. Not whatever the composer for that particular movie feels is right. They don't even maintain their own theme!? Tyler wrote them a 20th-Century-Fox rivaling fanfare for Thor2...

...which they use for some movies but not all. Very strange behavior.

^ Fascinating video. A bit manipulative with the opening. Of course everyone remembers Star Wars etc. - they are cultural touchstones.
Original does not necessarily mean memorable.
Having said that, the points they make are bang on, and presented excellently.

Just found this article over at dailydot.com where they interviewed TFA's sound designer, David Acord, that answered my question
DailyDot: One of the stars of every Star Wars film so far has been John Williams's music. How do you make sure that your work mixes and merges well with his score?

David Acord: We generally will work with a temp music track, which will be similar in tone to what the ultimate score will be. But it’s still temp, so you don’t get to really learn what John Williams’s track is going to be like until much later in the game. Not necessarily right in the final mix, but maybe shortly before that, you’ll start seeing tracks filter in.
The trick is to not cut sound effects that are going to interfere with the music, as far as frequency ranges and that kind of thing. I don’t want to create a ship pass-by that has too tonal of a quality where it’s going to clash with the music. You gotta be aware of those things. It’s generally good to avoid tonal sound effects for the most part, unless it’s going to really serve a specific purpose. Well, that’s actually not entirely true. Anyway, [cutting without final music] is a tough part, and a lot of that falls on the mixers to find the balance between effects and music—and dialog, for that matter—to decide what is a music and what is a sound-effects moment, [based on] which one is going to serve the story better.

I'll bet my life savings all the John Williams temp music is classical Russian stuff.

The video makes some good points about how temp tracks are overused and musical scores are often unimaginative. But beyond that, I found that it doesn't make a compelling argument about the MCU lacking memorable themes. When they asked those people to sing a theme from Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc, the interviewed people always chose the main theme. But the video then goes on to talk mostly about underscoring in various scenes, rather than the main themes of the MCU. In fact, I can't recall them playing one MCU main theme in the entire video other than that track from "Thor" that they used to rescore the reuniting scene.

And the fact that not one of the people interviewed on the street sang Alan Silvestri's Captain America theme (which is not only memorable, but so catchy that it's pretty close to impossible to get out of your head after hearing it) or his Avengers theme makes me suspicious that the makers of the video cherry-picked the interviews to use only the ones that supported their point.

^ Nah, I'd be super-surprised (no pun intended) if random people off the street could hum any MCU themes. It's a fair point.

I found that to be a fairly solid video essay, but it does beg the question that a memorable theme makes for a better overall movie. I can hum the theme from Superman: The Movie, which I can't say for a number of MCU movies, but I consider every single MCU movie superior overall to Superman: The Movie.

It also strikes me as there's a strain of smugness to the argument "if it isn't daring, it's not good." When abused, that line of thinking can blur the line between "something that appeals to me specifically" and "something that's better than the more popular crap the masses gobble up." Of course, daring art that appeals to a narrow few is indeed sometimes better than that which plays well to the biggest crowds, but sometimes it isn't. Making big pronouncements may draw more views than narrow, more case-specific judgments, but that doesn't make them better essays. Anyhow, I like Tony and his series, but I didn't agree with this piece 100%.

(Also, I can hum the Avengers, Iron Man 3, Agents of SHIELD, Daredevil and Jessica Jones themes from the MCU alone.)

I'd like to point out that Batman v Superman was daring...

Dan Golding has created an interesting and informative video response to "The Marvel Symphonic Universe".

hbenthow said:
Dan Golding has created an interesting and informative video response to "The Marvel Symphonic Universe".

Great rebuttal, if I may say so :)
Also reminded me why I've never been too partial to Zimmer's scores.

Back
Top Bottom