• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

AVI - no sound in VEGAS

superman4thefinalcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now I'm having a different kind of problem with Sony Vegas.

Last week, I was having lip sync issues when rendering mpgs... that was fixed when someone clued me in to use AVIs instead of MPG. However, many times Vegas will import the AVI but there is no sound when I bring it into the timeline. With Auto GK I tried making the sound both a VBR and CBR mp3 but I still have the same problem. There's no sound. I can rip the sound separately as an mp3 and drag it into the timeline but for this project I don't want to mess with separate files. Besides, I always have trouble editing both the video and sound in the exact place if they are separate items. Maybe I'm missing an option. Is there an easier way to do it if they are separate?

Anyway -- what is the best format to convert your VOB to so that you have picture and sound to work with and render properly in Vegas?

vegas is picky and you may not have an mp2 encoder on your system. Try converting the audio to pcm wav. Any you should not work with an autokGK avi. Xvid does work, yes, but it is already a degraded encode. Try working with lagarith, huffyuff or uncompressed avi. If you must work with xvid for space reasons, use a 100% quality encode.

good points boon, but to clarify, XVID may not work with Vegas. Its a bug. It will only accept older versions, and specifically DIVX. You can changer the header with AVI 4CC, but you will probably get black frames. to edit XVID successfully, you will have to frameserve it into Vegas. BUT, as boon suggested, if you have the space, the best option is to use a lossless AVI. either lagarith, or completely uncompressed.

I (at the recommendation of the veteran editors here) follow this procedure:

Step 1 - Rip DVD with DVDFab (to obtain VIDEO_TS folder)
Step 2 - Open appropriate IFO and Demux w/ PGCdemux to obtain M2V (video) and AC3 (audio)
Step 3 - Convert M2V to Lagarith AVI (or regular AVI if space is an issue) with VirtualDub MPEG2
Step 4 - Convert AC3 to WAV (2 channel stereo or 5.1) with BeSweet
Step 5 - Edit Away

Back
Top Bottom