• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

The movie also has an odd, off-putting anti-Christian vibe, with Thanos’ unambiguously evil followers worshiping him as their “lord” and referring to the “salvation” that he brings. There’s even a disrespectful joke about Jesus. I don’t expect non-Christians reading this review to care about this point, but I’m surprised that none of the Christian/family viewing guides I read prior to seeing the movie warned me about Thanos’ “disciples.”

It was a pretty obvious indictment of Malthusianism, a [sadly] significant fraction of the environmentalist movement. Thomas Malthus was a Christian cleric known for his 'Essay on the Principle of Population' in which he wrote "That the increase of population is necessarily limited by the means of subsistence, that population does invariably increase when the means of subsistence increase, and, that the superior power of population is repressed by moral restraint, vice and misery"

This is an incredibly flawed anaylsis, and outdated given the post-scarcity society many of us now live in. It tends to be used, primarily, as a criticism of the "developing world" who dare to grow beyond their means (ignoring how population tends to level out once nations have "developed). In practise, it's an incredibly sexist, classist and racist philosophy, that is acting as a binding tether on the environmentalist movement. 

Thanos is just giant purple Thomas Malthus. If you're seeing critiques of Christianity, that's only because the film is a critique of a Christian, whose disciples are now poisoning ecological discourse.

/rant

EDIT: Forgot this film was still out, should have tagged

Finally saw this one today.

(don't know if this is a Spoiler thread... so... SPOILER!)

A bit messy but I liked it, I just want to share a thought.
Am I alone in thinking Dr Strange saved Tony (by giving the stone to Thanos) not because he wanted to save Tony but because he saw (in his multiple visions scene) that the ONLY future where they can win over Thanos would be the one where they have to let him win first?

That's the general opinion most people have TMBTM.  After Strange does his little thing, his whole demeanor towards Stark changes, so he clearly knows something that we the audience do not.

That was my take away too.   As Strange was adamant in the first act that he would sacrifice any and everyone to keep the Time Stone away from Thanos.   But after he viewed the 14 million possible futures he must have seen that the only one where they eventually defeat Thanos, Stark had to be present, and thus, Strange willingly surrendered the Time Stone to save Tony from Thanos.

Hymie said:
That's the general opinion most people have TMBTM. 

I'm not smarter then. ;)
Well, the scene about the multiple futures would really be a random scene if it has no payoff in some way.
And Strange saying "It's the only way" (without saying "to save you") is a big give away.
But since the resolution is not in this movie, it's a smart way to make people talk during one year until the next chapter... and maybe surprise us with something else, who knows.

TMBTM said:
Hymie said:
That's the general opinion most people have TMBTM. 

I'm not smarter then. ;)
Well, the scene about the multiple futures would really be a random scene if it has no payoff in some way.
And Strange saying "It's the only way" (without saying "to save you") is a big give away.
But since the resolution is not in this movie, it's a smart way to make people talk during one year until the next chapter... and maybe surprise us with something else, who knows.
Did he say "It's the only way" for you? Is that the French translation for the "this is the end game" line? The Korean translation was apparently "we're doomed". I watched a video about it, apparently the localized translations for this movie were not great. 

Unless you are talking about a different line altogether, in which case, ignore me.

No, I saw it in english, and I'm talking of this part:

Good stuff. If only the official extras on the Blu-ray were half as interesting...

Back
Top Bottom