• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Audio format and editing in Premiere

Energy

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all,

Due to new hardware, my understanding of video editing increasing, finding new clips for my edit (never under-estimate the amount of unreleased footage in people's SFX showreels!), and wanting to have a better quality edit... I'm starting my Golden Compass edit from scratch. This isn't as bad for me as it sounds as I have all the earlier work as a workprint so it'll be quick to stich things together and I understand premiere a lot better now. My current edits quality infuriates me so it made sense to take a fresh look and build it quick so I can get something out there that you guys won't shun!

Editing itself has never really been my problem (some work I did on Windows Movie Maker was shown to someone in the BBC, they loved the footage and when told it was made on WMM their mouth just fell open), it's always been file formats and converting where my problem lies...

I want to use adobe premiere cs3 for my edit. I've followed the beginning of this tutorial to rip the source dvd. The footage works great, looks beautiful and can be quickly chopped up and edited.

Audio on the other hand is a pain in the arse. Obviously you can't put AC3 in premiere. I've converted it into 6 wav files, but great, how the hell am I going to keep everything in sync? I currently want to edit a shot midway through the film, I'm nervous that trying to chop the audio clips I want out of the 6 files will be a real pain.

Also is premiere good for mixing the audio in 5.1 or should I stick with a stereo version of my edit as I have done in the past?

Thanks for anyone's help. It'll be much appreciated!

^_^

glad to hear you are still working on the Golden Compass cut, and that you are moving on to more quality software.

5.1 editing is a pain in the ass, no doubt about that. From assigning tracks to proper speakers, to keeping track of all cuts. There is no easy answer here. When you cut and move, make sure you grab all the tracks you want. I can't comment specifically on Premiere, but I know a few people here use it.

Though 2.0 editing is a lot easier, the payoff for true 5.1 can be really nice if you are up for it.

ThrowgnCpr said:
glad to hear you are still working on the Golden Compass cut, and that you are moving on to more quality software.

5.1 editing is a pain in the ass, no doubt about that. From assigning tracks to proper speakers, to keeping track of all cuts. There is no easy answer here. When you cut and move, make sure you grab all the tracks you want. I can't comment specifically on Premiere, but I know a few people here use it.

Though 2.0 editing is a lot easier, the payoff for true 5.1 can be really nice if you are up for it.

Unfortunatly things are being a real pain here. I've got 6 mono wav files and I have no way to move it to the speaker I want. I just get a left and right atm. Audio is the only thing holding me back at the moment, and I've got some lovely new shots that I want to incorperate. Very frustrating! This rate the end result may only be 2.0, although I've still got to work with all 6 channels... joys! lol

Energy said:
This rate the end result may only be 2.0, although I've still got to work with all 6 channels... joys! lol
Welcome to the club.
But in a way I think playing with 6 audio channels to make a 2.0 movie allows you some editing freedom you would not have in 5.1.
Just my guess.

A couple tricks I have to keep track of the audio tracks:

- Link the video and audio tracks together, that way, when you move one thing, it move all of them
- Edit scenes in separate sequences. Doing this cuts down on the total confusion, though it might still be hard to follow.

Hope it helps!

in premiere, does linking them produce a cut in all tracks if one of them is cut? if so, that is not ideal. it sort of takes of of the big benefits of editing in 5.1 - being able to edit each track separately.

It does, but you can link and unlink tracks at the push of a button. Working in separate sequences is the way to go, IMO

ThrowgnCpr - thanks for the pdf that has done it, suddenly I can drag all the audio to their specified corner! I had 5.1 channels, but never a 5.1 master track so this has sorted it! Thank you!!!

TMBTM - obviously mixing down to 2.0 or 2.1 lets you off a great deal when handling so many channels. It is a big advantage, however I'd like to give it a go in 5.1 and if things go crap I can mix it down later. This edit is somewhere between fanedit and restoration. I'm planning to make the restoration version first and then cut out stuff that doesn't look good for a more fluid fanedit later. Sadly been working on this for a few years (at least in research) but it means I have shots that most fans don't know exist. I'd like to present all my research the best I can, so 5.1 would be nice... :)

Alphanaut - thanks both are wise tips. I do follow both, i just wish you could link them before you cut out the clips for the main movie... ahh well... least now I can progress with my edit. Happy to see I'm not alone in thinking that audio editing isn't the easiest in premiere. ^_^

Hi Energy, can you please detail out you went about preparing the raw video & audio files for Premiere. Over the years I've tried many prorgams but most comfortable with Premiere. Yet I've never nailed the preparation of the files.

FatherMerrin said:
Hi Energy, can you please detail out you went about preparing the raw video & audio files for Premiere. Over the years I've tried many prorgams but most comfortable with Premiere. Yet I've never nailed the preparation of the files.

Perhaps you can tell me if this is possible. Coming from FCP I have to admit I'm annoyed by some of Premiere's design. Right now, when I have six audio tracks, I have to manually drag the crossfade effect to each track regardless of whether they are linked. Is there a way to drag it once and it affects all tracks? Same with changing their duration. (You can do this in FCP.)

Premiere can import and edit .ac3 files. It's a simple workaround:

Encore CS3 is now able to import AC3 files...
This is due to a particular DLL : ad2ac3dec.dll (found in EncoreCS3 folder)

Copy this file and paste it into the root folder of Premiere Pro CS3 (or 4). You cannot import ac3 only files, but if it is muxed to say mpeg2, then it works just fine.

FatherMerrin said:

Hi! If you check my first post in this thread I link to a tutorial done by someone on this forum. That's the one I'm following - it's worked well the quality of the footage is good and audio is a slow process- but you do have a lot of control. It's a shame you can't just import one AC3 file but even that would add extra layers of complexity. I just have a notepad next to me while editing and when I cut some audio from one channel I note the times so I have it front of me so that I can cut the same audio from another channel.

You mentioned in the PM that you were coming across aspect ratio problems, I haven't had many issues like that. I use CS4 and generally if the program supports the footage the ar is correct. When exporting if there have been AR issues, it's generally been my own fault and I've overlooked a setting.

My Golden Compass edit is ongoing - although I kinda class it more as a preservation version at the moment - due to it requring storyboards and images for certain scenes (mainly the ending sequence), although still hold the idea of a version that is pure footage.

December 24th I'll be releasing a new version of the ending sequence - this will feature brand new footage that has not been seen in trailers or the movie. The effect should be pretty good. Just working on everything now trying to make sure the sources are all as good as can be - however the audio may just be stereo for that video, not sure I'm going to have enough time to do a full 5.1 mix with all the different sources I'm using - however it is on the cards for a later version! :)

People who have

thunderclap said:
Perhaps you can tell me if this is possible. Coming from FCP I have to admit I'm annoyed by some of Premiere's design. Right now, when I have six audio tracks, I have to manually drag the crossfade effect to each track regardless of whether they are linked. Is there a way to drag it once and it affects all tracks? Same with changing their duration. (You can do this in FCP.)

Corssfade I'm not too sure off the top of my head - but linking them will at least allow you to drag them about -connected.

Back
Top Bottom