• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Aspect Ratio problem

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been working on a project that is 2.35 in Vegas, and have been using 720x356 as the parameters so that I can edit without the black bars being affect as I am doing wipes with Vegas. I want to export the video to DVD, but two problems always come up. If I export it as 720x480 the video becomes stretched and the AR is wrong. If I export it as 356, there are both black and gray bars on the top and bottom which make for a most unpleasant movie experience. The only answers I could find was to add pixels to the top and bottom of the video, but I have no idea how to even begin this.

Perhaps if someone could explain this to me as if I were a baby (though a somewhat educated one) I would be most appreciative.

Firstly, what type of file are you using. AVI? and what is the pixel aspect ratio? 1:1? You are going to want to set your project properties to 720 x 480 with a PIXEL ASPECT RATIO of 1.2121 (NTSC DV Widescreen)

Your preview window will automatically adjust to the proper aspect ration (i.e. it will look like 720 x 405 in the preview). Your video should appear in the correct aspect ration within this window (i.e. it is slightly letterboxed). Vegas has a default background of black, so the letterboxing should look right. If your video looks stretched in the preview, then something is wrong with your source file. If it fills up the preview window, you need to adjust the pan/crop to set to source aspect

ThrowgnCpr said:
Firstly, what type of file are you using. AVI? and what is the pixel aspect ratio? 1:1? You are going to want to set your project properties to 720 x 480 with a PIXEL ASPECT RATIO of 1.2121 (NTSC DV Widescreen)

Your preview window will automatically adjust to the proper aspect ration (i.e. it will look like 720 x 405 in the preview). Your video should appear in the correct aspect ration within this window (i.e. it is slightly letterboxed). Vegas has a default background of black, so the letterboxing should look right. If your video looks stretched in the preview, then something is wrong with your source file. If it fills up the preview window, you need to adjust the pan/crop to set to source aspect

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I am using a MPG file(s) and have it set to 1.2121 (NTSC DV Widescreen). I changed to 720x356 so that the black border would go away as I am using wipes in my edit, and I thought that the wipes would be visible across the entire image (including the black bars) and therefore result in a less than optimistic output. Is this incorrect? I just want to know because it takes a long time to export an MPG and I just want to be sure before I try again as I would prefer not to have my computer on all night if it will result in being less than optimistic. I trust you guys here, so if you say I should just change everything to 720x480 I will, just after you reply of course :wink: .

I think the problem is that you are working with an mpg (presumably mpg2) that has non-standard dimensions. If you are going to be working with mpg2 (which by the way, Vegas doesnt always work the best with) keep it to a standard size. The pixel aspect ratio you have set is for standard DVD format. If you really want to crop those bars prior to editing, then save it as an AVI (lossless is best) with a pixel aspect ratio of 1:1

I figured out the problem. The main files I was working with were fine, but I added a file that didn't match ratio wise, causing problems when editing. This is why I initially changed ratios, but I was able to work out the error on my end and things are looking to be promising. I've been working on this thing for over a year, and I'm finally glad to be done with it. :D

Good to hear that you got it all straightened out. :)

Back
Top Bottom