• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Are you interested in languages?

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you speak more than one language? How many? Do you have an interest in learning languages or an aspect of language?

I really love etymology. I like to deconstruct words and trace their origins. I enjoy being able to identify where a word comes from, what it is related to. Like for example the word photography, is made up of photo, graph and y which means light, image. You can link it to photosphere, photon, telephoto, graphics, phonograph, etc.

I speak English, very crude Welsh, minimal Spanish, near conversational Japanese. I like to read Greek and can understand various Greek words due to their presence in the roots of English words. I know a tiny bit of Italian, French, Polish, Korean.
I used to be able to read Cyrillic and Hangul.

I like to translate too and used to translate manga.

I'm hopefully going to be learning sign language soon. 🙂

My native language is polish, and I've been studying French, German, Latin and English but I've learned only that last one good enough to use it. Except for english I've never liked studying foreign languages and I've only did it because I had no other choice (at school and university).

I only speak one language fluently (English if you hadn’t guessed). Though I never got up to what I’d call fluent in either, I’ve spoken Spanish (when we lived in South America) and German (now as we live in Germany) well enough to get by. German is tough and has been made much tougher by the pandemic which started six months after we arrived. We’re unfortunately moving sometime this year so I doubt I’ll ever get truly fluent though I’d love to. My kids were fluent in Spanish when we moved here and, ironically, now they, too, are only fluent in English. I do like to think their Spanish would return easily with some more frequent exposure. I’m fascinated by language and really do wish I were truly fluent in more than one.

I'm an English speaker. I took Spanish throughout middle and high school because it was required, but I haven't retained much from that. I've always wanted to learn another language, but it's hard for me to commit to it without having a practical reason. I also generally struggle to commit to things that take a long time, like losing weight. German was a big one when I was a kid for some reason, as well as Japanese. I would actually have a practical use for learning Japanese, there have been plenty of untranslated games an manga I've been interested in, but the idea of learning Japanese is very daunting, with its three writing systems and the way that it's so fundamentally different from English on a structual level.
Someday I will commit to learning another language. Someday.

I'm an English speaker. I took Spanish throughout middle and high school because it was required, but I haven't retained much from that. I've always wanted to learn another language, but it's hard for me to commit to it without having a practical reason. I also generally struggle to commit to things that take a long time, like losing weight. German was a big one when I was a kid for some reason, as well as Japanese. I would actually have a practical use for learning Japanese, there have been plenty of untranslated games an manga I've been interested in, but the idea of learning Japanese is very daunting, with its three writing systems and the way that it's so fundamentally different from English on a structual level.
Someday I will commit to learning another language. Someday.
I find that having a Japanese pen-friend is very helpful for learning. There's a japanese dictionary that sits in the browser, then I can just mouse-over what he writes and it gives me various potential meanings. If I'm tired I put it in google translate, but over the years I learnt context and various words and phrases he uses regularly. I also watch anime and other Japanese shows and can pick up various things from that. Over time I just need to use those tools less and less.

I am a language and etymology enthusiast! My native language is English and I am fluent in French. I have also studied Latin, Old English, Spanish, Italian, Russian, and Finnish, although I'm pretty weak in those last two.

I really enjoy learning languages. I studied Spanish and French in school and have been trying to learn Swedish and Japanese on my own.

Back
Top Bottom