• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Apocalypse Now BD

I agree with all of that. Redux is too long and straightforward. I also think Brando's idea that Kurtz should never be shown except in the shadows was a sound one. Redux showed Brando in broad daylight, and there was a reason why those scenes were cut. The scenes aren't bad, they just feel like they belong in a different movie.

I like the second playboy bunnies scene a lot though. That's about the only scene I would have kept if I'd edited the theatrical version.

That's it. We need an Apocalypse Now edit!

Coppola's concept before the editing began - having the boat move metaphorically backwards through time - was a cool idea, but I don't think his directing of the scenes truly fit that concept. The French plantation scene seems like a different film from the rest, and the added Kurtz scenes actually don't fit in his longer-film plan either, as the last stop on the journey is supposed to be the barbaric/shamanistic and Kurtz seems more sane and with historically and politically astute observations. The Epic concept that would have resemble Redux fell apart in the execution, and Coppola's salvaging of the film by focusing on the weirdness instead of the high concept was a brilliant move that saved the film in every way. To me, Redux is basically watching Coppola forgetting that he was right the first time.

---

On keeping Redux scenes in a theatrical-like edit: I actually suggested this - "Apocalypse Now, the even weirder cut" - in a thread at one point. Keep two scenes from Redux:

1) Kilgore following Willard to get his surfboard back.
2) The second playboy bunnies scene.

The rest is just the theatrical cut. The theatrical cut is pretty much perfect as is, but these two scenes would heighten the weirdness in a good way, I think.

I hated all the added Redux sequences except for Kurtz reading the magazine to Willard. Apocalypse Now is one of my favorite films, but I've only seen Redux once and I don't think I'll ever rewatch.

DwightFry78 said:
Apocalypse Now is one of my favorite films, but I've only seen Redux once and I don't think I'll ever rewatch.

That is in the situation that I am in too. The extra scenes in Redux provided valuable insight into the making of the film, and it is always interesting to see deleted or alternate footage, but I far preferred the theatrical version.

Captain Khajiit said:
That is in the situation that I am in too. The extra scenes in Redux provided valuable insight into the making of the film, and it is always interesting to see deleted or alternate footage, but I far preferred the theatrical version.

My story too.

Is the original much different than Redux? I've only seen Redux when it first came out and wasn't really too enthralled with it. I can't even really remember most of it because it never grabbed my attention. I do remember thinking it was long though.

Redux added 50 minutes to the original. I'd say that's different. Redux is a more traditional historical/philosophical war movie, whereas the original is 150 minutes of more or less surrealist vignettes held together through a voice-over. A road movie. Only a couple of the added Redux scenes have the mood of the original. I go into more detail in my other posts.

So the answer is yes. If you've only seen Redux the difference is huge, and comparable to seeing The Matrix DeZionized after seeing Reloaded and Revolutions. Less truly is more. (Except in the case of AN Redux is the fanedit, not the other way around.)

Is there anyone have Apocalypse Now (Three-Disc Full Disclosure Edition) BluRay?

I hope santa brings it for me this christmas :)

Back
Top Bottom