• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Amazon Instant Video file format?

reave said:
Where did you download Super? I've installed it multiple times and never had those issues. Sounds like a third-party infection.

I got it from here.

Weird. I'm shocked that you would have had any toolbars or trojans from there.

reave said:
Weird. I'm shocked that you would have had any toolbars or trojans from there.

Yeah. AVG picked up 5 trojans, and the toolbar that was installed was called IMinent. I had deleted the directory, but I just discovered that the bar was, perplexingly, still in Firefox (I usually use IE), so I disabled it.

geminigod said:
... or you could just buy the DVD's.

I don't agree that 1.5MB is good enough for editing. It is barely passable for viewing, depending on the resolution.

There is definitely DRM that will need to be hacked. http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200238960

Now I am just going to shut-up until this thread gets to 40 pages long, and then I will piss everybody off by linking back to this post and saying, "I told you so."

1.5Mb's with an H/X.264 codec should be fine I have rips as low as 800k/sec which look fantastic.

nOmArch said:
1.5Mb's with an H/X.264 codec should be fine I have rips as low as 800k/sec which look fantastic.

1.5 MBPS could look fine. It really depends on the source material (color, movement, etc) and if a single pass or avg. I have seen 1.5 that looked great, and others that looked like complete trash.

nOmArch said:

Ditto what throwgn said. Also, there is a distinction that needs to be made between viewing and editing. If you are editing it, then I make the assumption that at least one transcode will be taking place, at which point that highly compressed video that didn't look too bad originally suddenly has a much higher potential to look crappy.

I too agree with Throw: it depends on the source. The DVDs might well be cramming a number of episodes onto a disc, so 1.5Mbps with h.264 might well give the MPEG-2 encodes on the DVD a run for their money, so nOm has a point. Where fanedits are concerned, there will be one more lossy compression whatever the source, so Mark Moore will ultimately have to look at the quality of what he gets and consider the ease of circumventing the DRM and make up his own mind. Personally, I would buy the DVDs, but without seeing both I wouldn't like to say for sure which would be better quality.

Like I said, do it right, and 1.5Mbs/sec looks great particularly in x264.

Captain Khajiit said:
I too agree with Throw: it depends on the source. The DVDs might well be cramming a number of episodes onto a disc, so 1.5Mbps with h.264 might well give the MPEG-2 encodes on the DVD a run for their money, so nOm has a point. Where fanedits are concerned, there will be one more lossy compression whatever the source, so Mark Moore will ultimately have to look at the quality of what he gets and consider the ease of circumventing the DRM and make up his own mind. Personally, I would buy the DVDs, but without seeing both I wouldn't like to say for sure which would be better quality.

Well, ConvertXtoDVD didn't help, so it looks like I'm going to have to buy the DVDs. I'm going to buy The Immortal Collection to satisfy the completist in me, but I'm not going to do it right now. I recently started a new job at Wal-Mart, and my mom (who also works there) says there's a 6-month probation period. I'm not at 2 months yet. So I'm gonna wait and use the time to smooth any rough spots and do test encodes and burns to see how it looks on my HDTV. That'll allow me to fix all of the current problems. I'll deal with the TV footage when I get the DVDs.

This'll also give me more time to do other edits. ;-)

Keep an eye on amazon/Walmart.com/used stores/etc. DVD sets drop mighty low sometimes. Bluray.com has a nice price tracker, not sure if others do.

there are programs out there, but like others have said buy the dvds/blu rays- since you must own the original product.

jswert123456 said:
there are programs out there, but like others have said buy the dvds/blu rays- since you must own the original product.

That's not the issue here - downloading a purchased video from Amazon is an original product.

A new, possible conversion trick is going the Wal-Mart route.
You take your physical DVD into your nearest store and get permanent online access to the digital stream. Price $2.00. That includes Blu-Ray.
http://www.npr.org/2012/03/14/148574410/wal-marts-backing-may-help-hollywoods-ultraviolet-suceed
Sound too good to be true? This is Wal-Mart, and many studios have opted to pass (Disney - Lucas).
No word on quality of online copy, or what the container is.
I have tinkered with many formats over the years, and even a Used DVD is better than a 1.5 GB MKV. The standard rule of garbage in - garbage out definitely applies.

I don't see how that is relevant to this thread either. If he had the DVD he would just rip the DVD.

Also, Walmart is just stealing two bucks from people who don't realize they can do it themselves for free.

Vultural said:
A new, possible conversion trick is going the Wal-Mart route.
You take your physical DVD into your nearest store and get permanent online access to the digital stream. Price $2.00. That includes Blu-Ray.
http://www.npr.org/2012/03/14/148574410/wal-marts-backing-may-help-hollywoods-ultraviolet-suceed
Sound too good to be true? This is Wal-Mart, and many studios have opted to pass (Disney - Lucas).
No word on quality of online copy, or what the container is.
I have tinkered with many formats over the years, and even a Used DVD is better than a 1.5 GB MKV. The standard rule of garbage in - garbage out definitely applies.

Do it right and a 1.5MB x264 looks fantastic.

most blu rays come with either a digital copy or a dvd. so you have both multiple options.

Back
Top Bottom