• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Amazing slow motion using Twixtor plugin

Definitely much smoother! I've watched some cool tutorials on using Twixtor on creativecow.net, and a friend in one of the computer labs at the university uses it; I might have to ask him about borrowing his computer for a few shots...

I know, that's like a whole extra click!

I meant that the filter looks to be real sweet, but i can't use it. ;-)

Neglify said:
That was effect was achieved by simply using the movie 300 as the source.

:drum:

even the credits were in slomo.

geminigod suggested testing the plugin to its limits, by super-slomoing (15% of original speed) footage that is very action packed. Here is an action scene from Empire slowed down dramatically. You can see the ghosting created when converting footage at this speed. It makes sense that the plugin is definitely much more effective on scenes with less frenetic cutting/action.

(The ghosting and weird effect created between shots could actually be used for artistic effect I think! Chuck some interesting music in there and you have yourself a scene :). I'm thinking Lionel Richie "Hello, is it me you're looking for..." )

Just please don't turn into Zack Snyder and have 50% of the movie be in slow mo.

15% might be overkill. I don't think even 300 was this slow. Besides, they only used portions. For example, a slow motion approach on a stab, and then the stab itself in full speed. Stuff like that. This is just slow motion all over. Snyder didn't do that.

Kal-El said:
15% might be overkill. I don't think even 300 was this slow. Besides, they only used portions. For example, a slow motion approach on a stab, and then the stab itself in full speed. Stuff like that. This is just slow motion all over. Snyder didn't do that.

Pretty much. And i can't tell you how annoying it was trying to make it play normal, it goes anywhere from 3 times slow to normal in seconds like Zack was controlling it with a dial, it's all over the place in the action scenes.

Rogue-theX said:
MSU FRC:

using a 23.976 framerate to begin with:
ConvertToYV12() .MSU_FRC(2, "slow")
AssumeFPS(23.976)

It works great if something has smooth motion to begin with, but if its too fast you get artifacting.

Hey, you know avisynth right? Can you make any sense of this?
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=160226

I wanted to use it the same way as the msu filter but it's beyond me.

Do we need a new thread?

Indeed I do! I discovered interframe toward the end of my Two Towers edit because there were still a few slow motion scenes I thought looked like crap. At this juncture I am pretty familiar with interframe. It is a good bit of avisynth coding that utilizes mvtools2's vector motion capabilities quite well. (I'm not inclined to start some kind of guide thread because my understanding is that subjunk is working on something new that is even better.) The current version of interframe is the best tool I have thus far used for slow motion, but I have never used twixtor or the MSU tool you mentioned to compare.

Here is a great guide that makes it pretty easy to get up and running with interframe even if you are not very avisynth savvy: http://www.spirton.com/convert-videos-to-60fps/

Now I'll have to play with that MSU tool you mentioned, Rogue!

Keep in mind that it runs into similar ghosting and artifact problems with very fast moving motion as other vector motion tools I have tried, but i have found there to be far less with this. Hmm, let me see if I can dig up a demo clip.

njvc said:
geminigod suggested testing the plugin to its limits, by super-slomoing (15% of original speed) footage that is very action packed. Here is an action scene from Empire slowed down dramatically. You can see the ghosting created when converting footage at this speed. It makes sense that the plugin is definitely much more effective on scenes with less frenetic cutting/action.

(The ghosting and weird effect created between shots could actually be used for artistic effect I think! Chuck some interesting music in there and you have yourself a scene :). I'm thinking Lionel Richie "Hello, is it me you're looking for..." )

That was a great clip, njvc. It demonstrates beautifully the pros and cons of these vector slow motion tools, and why it can be better to use standard interpolation methods if you can get away with it and save this tool for only when you need it.

Issue 1) the transition frames in between cuts are jacked. This is because the vector algorithm is looking for a similar block of pixels nearby and can't find one anywhere on the screen, so it gets all jacked for those couple frames. To really get it to look perfect, each cut has to be done separately. (In the following video using interframe, those botched frames don't exist because I had interframe analyze each cut separately.)

Issue 2) The white background in that clip demostrates brilliantly what happens where there isn't enough contrast between objects crossing each other in motion. Lando looks pristine with his darker colors, but Leia and the stormtroopers have occasional artifact issues. The good news with these issues is that they tend to be less noticeable with fast motion unless you slow the video down to an extreme like this.

Here is an interframe demo of some video used for my Two Towers Rebuilt edit. I believe this was slowed down to 1/4 original speed. (not the actual speed used in edit! ;-))

^ Looks to work much better with garden variety motion than MSU FRC, and thanks for the guide, Gemini! :) Hopefully i can figure it out, lol. There are several slowed down shots in this clip using the msu filter, best example around 0:26; that shot was only around 10 frames at the start. Spoiler warning, it's a prometheus trailer. Pass: rogue

I hope you get Interframe working, Rogue, so you can share which you prefer! The guide I linked to is pretty straightforward. I may be able to help with further questions once you finish going through the guide.

Neglify said:
Just please don't turn into Zack Snyder and have 50% of the movie be in slow mo.

Want to collaborate on my next edit, Sucker Punch Empire?

Rogue-theX said:
Spoiler warning, it's a prometheus trailer. Pass: rogue

:lol: That's dedication to a joke!

njvc said:
Want to collaborate on my next edit, Sucker Punch Empire?

Dislike.

Back
Top Bottom