• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Ahsoka (Spoilers within)

Viewing clips, I'm finding I don't like Thrawn's voice. It's too mild, with too much delicate enunciation, and too much musicality. I always imagined his voice as being more like Ian McKellen's Magneto - graceful and proper, yes, but with an unmistakable edge of command and coldness. This Thrawn's tone sounds like he could be describing floral arrangements or fine foods as much as military tactics. (Lars Mikkelsen's lack of angular facial features or an athletic figure don't much help the character's image, either.)
Can’t say I agree, I really love his calm, soft voice as it adds to how cold he is and how casually he does his ruthless and calculated strategy. But then again I haven’t read the Thrawn books (I own them and intend to read them at some point though) and I’m sure the initial read through influences the way one would imagine the character to be, vs. The interpretation the filmmakers chose. Though I think Timothy Zahn helped with his translation during production of Rebels if I’m not mistaken? But of course that doesn’t mean any other interpretation is incorrect.

Was Andor disliked by the Prequel crowd? I found it to be generally the opposite, that it was almost universally loved, surprisingly so after a bit of a rut in the series.
I don’t know. I’m not very in tune with the larger fan base. But it seems to me that a lot of folks thought Andor was too slow and not Star Warsy enough. To me that said, “it needed more Jedi action,” which makes me think it was mostly prequel folks.

I don’t know. I’m not very in tune with the larger fan base. But it seems to me that a lot of folks thought Andor was too slow and not Star Warsy enough. To me that said, “it needed more Jedi action,” which makes me think it was mostly prequel folks.
Oh wait, I think you’re talking about Star Wars Theory and his ilk. Even so, fwiw he was mocked for his statements on the show (rightfully so, he’s a jackass) by the larger fanbase.

Not that any of this is relevant to the conversation though.

Oh wait, I think you’re talking about Star Wars Theory and his ilk. Even so, fwiw he was mocked for his statements on the show (rightfully so, he’s a jackass) by the larger fanbase.

Not that any of this is relevant to the conversation though.
I don’t know who that is. There was definitely some of that sentiment here too though. It wasn’t hated so much as not liked as much as many others seemed to like it. Maybe the Andor thing should be left out. But the point is my hunch is that Ahsoka appeals to a certain type of fan. I used Andor only as a counterpoint where it distinctly lacks the elements which I’m surmising those fans enjoy about Star Wars.

I don’t know who that is. There was definitely some of that sentiment here too though. I wasn’t hated so much as not liked as much as many others seemed to like it. Maybe the Andor thing should be left out. But the point is my hunch is that Ahsoka appeals to a certain type of fan. I used Andor only as a counterpoint where it distinctly lacks the elements which I’m surmising those fans enjoy about Star Wars.
Fair. And to be fair I called the guy a jackass for reasons other than his trivial views on Andor.

But you’re right about what kind of fan this show appeals to. I was surprised to see how light on story the show was compared even to the animated shows with the same characters made by the same guy.

And I’m less interested in debating the merits of each and more interested in my feeling that, even within the fan base, there doesn’t seem to be a brand of Star Wars that is universally appealing, let alone appealing to casual fans and a wider audience. These shows aren’t cheap and streaming’s financial viability is anything but certain. The Sequel Trilogy did well financially, but will audiences turn out for the ancillary (non Skywalker) movies? Rogue One was successful but it had Darth Vader and the benefit of being first. Star Wars seems to want to create the sort of thing Marvel has (had?) where people feel the need to see all of them because they’re interconnected. I’m not sure that’s going to work and, IMO, it’s doomed to fail if the prior knowledge is things like Rebels.

Honestly, though hugely financially risky, I liked the original approach. Give exciting filmmakers free rein to make projects set in this universe. Whether it’s Abrams, Rian Johnson, Lord & Miller, Favreau, or Filoni. But then you’ve got to get out of the way and actually LET them make it. Some will suck and some will be for audiences that don’t share my sensibilities and that’s fine.

there doesn’t seem to be a brand of Star Wars that is universally appealing, let alone appealing to casual fans and a wider audience.

There never will be. "Star Wars" means different things to different people. It's almost impossible to make something that everyone will love.

Honestly, though hugely financially risky, I liked the original approach. Give exciting filmmakers free rein to make projects set in this universe. Whether it’s Abrams, Rian Johnson, Lord & Miller, Favreau, or Filoni. But then you’ve got to get out of the way and actually LET them make it. Some will suck and some will be for audiences that don’t share my sensibilities and that’s fine.
This is exactly what all of these big "connected universe" type things need to do. The only way to keep it fresh and exciting is to provide interesting perspectives and variety. MCU is having the same issue right now for the same reason. It all just feels the same.

A good example is the new season of Loki. The way it's written, directed and put together, especially that first episode, felt so fresh and different it literally made me sit up in my seat. New perspectives, new creatives, new vibes. It's what's needed.

It's why I like Andor and TLJ so much more than the other new Star Wars stuff. Maybe they aren't for everyone, but at least they feel like they were made by a person with a vision and are actually about something.

Well to be fair if you’re talking about apathy in the fandom, one look at Prequel/CW and Rebels fans’ reactions indicate otherwise 😁
If they "indicate otherwise" then why are the ratings for Ahsoka far beneath any other show thus far on Disney Plus?

If they "indicate otherwise" then why are the ratings for Ahsoka far beneath any other show thus far on Disney Plus?
Because they aren’t a large fan base. But clearly many of those fans are not apathetic to the show. Many truly enjoyed it.

Last edited:
I suspect those that like the prequels lately enjoy Ahsoka and dislike Andor and vice versa. Which is fine and I’m glad there’s content for both. But the question is can a divided fan base provide enough financial justification for continuing to create these very expensive shows? And do casual audiences even care?
I've never been a fan of the original trilogy, I enjoyed the prequels more, although not much more, until episode 3 and I love that one. I also love Clone Wars and Rebels. I love Andor and I hated Ahsoka. I also hated Kenobi, even though I love Ewan McGregor's portrayal in the prequels.

We'll see. There is something fundamentally wrong here. Ahsoka was a character created AFTER the prequels. And before 2008's 3D-animated Clone War.
There was The Clone Wars by Genndy Tartakovsky in 2D with 3 seasons of 25 episodes that began in 2003 and ended with episode 3 in 2005.

The saddest thing of all is that they decanonized the 2D series, why?
Indeed, why does Ahsoka not appear. It is a fact and a reality.

Because they aren’t a large fan base. But clearly those fans are not apathetic to the show. Many truly enjoyed it.
The claim that the viewership was below everything else on Disney+ is also dubious at best. The first episode was reportedly the most-watched premiere in the service's history and the finale outperformed Andor (which in turn outperformed several of Marvel's efforts). The episodes in between were the most-streamed series in the US across all platforms for each week of release.

I'm lukewarm on the show at best, but it appears it was decently successful. Not on par with The Mandalorian and Loki, that's for sure, but not the failure the "Star Wars is dead/dying" crowd assert it is.

I've never been a fan of the original trilogy, I enjoyed the prequels more
giphy.webp

I actually liked this series. I has to watch the entire thing in one binge but I think it's right below Andor. I can't wait to see @spence's edit that he is very likely to do.

I actually liked this series. I has to watch the entire thing in one binge but I think it's right below Andor. I can't wait to see @spence's edit that he is very likely to do.
We will see. I don't think it would work as well as a movie edit. Maybe a paired down miniseries.

Yes I have understood correctly. Is Andor below Ahsoka?
But Andor is a better series than even Mandalorian, just as it ended in season 3. (seasons 1 and 2 are the best that has been seen so far)
but Ahsoka in script is even below Obi wan Kenobi.

I think that Andor, when it ends with season 2, will be one of the best series that Disney has made with Star Wars.

"I have Spoken"

We will see. I don't think it would work as well as a movie edit. Maybe a paired down miniseries.
The problem is there isn’t really a clear plot or character growth. I understand from those more familiar with these characters that Ezra is critically important; even more important than allowing Thrawn to get back or for Ahsoka and Sabine to be stranded. So that was a victory in a way. But if that’s the case it wasn’t conveyed to the audience. Maybe there is something in the cartoons that would allow a flashback from when Sabine is looking at the cartoony monument that could illustrate that plot point?

Because they aren’t a large fan base. But clearly many of those fans are not apathetic to the show. Many truly enjoyed it.
However you quantify the size of its "fanbase," it is not a leading property to buoy Star Wars and its overall reception reflects it.

Yes I have understood correctly.
No.

Is Andor below Ahsoka?
No.
But Andor is a better series than even Mandalorian, just as it ended in season 3. (seasons 1 and 2 are the best that has been seen so far)
Yes.
but Ahsoka in script is even below Obi wan Kenobi.
I think that is debatable.
I think that Andor, when it ends with season 2, will be one of the best series that Disney has made with Star Wars.
Agreed.
"I have Spoken"
Ummm....okay.

Back
Top Bottom