• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

A true crowdsourced fanedit?

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So this idea has been in my head for sometime just the general idea anyway, but I think it would be an interesting fanediting exercise to take a basic premise for a fanedit, (movie to be fanedited and some kind of idea of the direction for it to be taken in) and then have polls/votes for member input (*giggles*) on where the story should go, what should be cut or kept in, people can suggest crazy ass ideas and the people can throw them out there to be voted on as well.

Could be a potentially fun and interesting exercise.

But at the same time, faneditors should be editing for themselves as we always say, so it'd be kind of a selfless and/or thankless job to be the editor for a project like this cause if you're too emotionally invested, being at the mercy of the "crowd" could be tough to deal with.

And at the same time, things like consecutions, neg and juice's collabo, or Rogue and Leeroy's upcoming stuff, that kinda stuff already sort of covers it when it comes to collaboration.

Blah, just talking out loud. Felt like taking a break from posting gifs, jpegs and youtubez.

If you want Johnny to enter the creepy house, turn to page 69- I mean vote in this poll.

DominicCobb said:
If you want Johnny to enter the creepy house, turn to page 69- I mean vote in this poll.

lol, exactly, i was gonna add it'd be like Choose Your Own Adventure The Fanedit Edition!

I love it, would totally participate. Someone get the ball rolling.

This would be such an insane mess.

I'd watch it.

tumblr_mnj2my6MvV1s9pzsmo1_250.gif

doesn't frink already do something of the sort? :)

could be a weekly episode fanedit approach in which at the end of each episode you'd have the polls in which could be determine what direction would occur the following week

Actually, it doesn't sound that much different from what we're already doing--seeking others' input on an edit (which is good, of course).

Here's a wild thought (just spitballing ideas here): What if one person uploaded a movie to Google WeVideo, and then we could all take turns working on it? It would have to be a movie that is owned by everyone in the group, naturally. And there would be a shared password among us.

Of course, we'd have to agree what changes should be made next so that we're not constantly second-guessing one another and undoing one another's edits. (Having said that, the idea of surprising the other people with the next set of changes could be fun.)

Ooh! Or how about this? A round robin style edit. Usually, round robins are used for fanfics. But what if we all decided on an order to make edits in, and then passed off from one person to the next?

For instance, let's say hypothetically we picked Return of the Jedi. Then we all volunteered in a certain order by posting "I'm in!" and then we keep going around like that. So, using this thread for the hypothetical example:

Gatos goes first, editing as much or as little as he likes (no more than about 10 minutes or so, though).
Then it would be DominicCobb's turn.
Then Neg, then Frink, then ssj, then Captain K, then Leeroy, then mine.

Just as in other round robins, you can take the story in whatever crazy (or normal) direction that you like, but then the next person has to pick up from where you left off.

And if someone gets sick or doesn't have time to work on an edit at the moment or just isn't feeling inspired, they can say, "Pass!" to the next person.

I think this might actually be in the spirit of what you were trying to say in the first place, Gatos (but maybe I'm way off).

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud. ("Typing out loud"?) What does everyone else think?

Trying to do something like Jacksons Fighting Fantasy books is gonna be seriously difficult simply due to the lack of footage to be able to take the story in any direction you want.

Round robin/Chinese whisper editing, like Tom suggests, could be a interesting exercise though.

Um, so did I just totally kill this thread or something? :oops: I didn't mean to, honest!

Gatos, if you're intent on your idea, why don't you upload some footage and give it a shot? At the least, it would be a fun/fascinating experiment.

Art by democracy sounds a little scary. Isn't that what kills pretty much every Hollywood movie?

That said, the idea of a true Choose your own adventure movie sounds awesome! I'm not good enough at disc authoring to know how possible this is or what the limitations might be. I'm imagining there being pauses in the movie at certain branching points in the story where the viewer has to make a choice for the character. Different faneditors would be responsible for editing different alternative pathways. There would be many "reality cuts" along the way with abrupt everybody-dies-type endings.

Several of those ideas sound fun and crazy. I suggest using the Star Trek movies, I haven't seen any of those, but there are so many of them, so there is a lot of footage to go around. Unlike say the harry potter movies where you would constantly have issues with the actors being different ages and sizes.

Back
Top Bottom