• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So the first trailer for the Nightmare on Elm Street remake has arrived:

[youtubewide:29ypbd2n]

Still kinda early to tell whether or not this'll be any good - I'm honestly not expecting much out of it (these horror remakes are starting to really tick me off lately), but they did get Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen's Rorschach) to play Freddie Krueger (so there's hope, maybe...).

Looks a lot like they are remaking every key scenes of the original (same characters, same little girls singing, cemetary scenes, bathroom scene, Tina flying over the bed etc.) and adding some new elements from the backstory of Krueger.
I wonder if they will make Freddy innocent from killing the childreen in his past life... ( "I did not do anything!!!" ) ?
Could be good or not, but it already looks like a missed opportunity to do something really NEW.

JasonN said:
but they did get Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen's Rorschach) to play Freddie Krueger (so there's hope, maybe...).

I think you mean Jackie Earle Haley (Bad News Bears' Kelly Leak) :lol: :lol: :lol:

in all seriousness, that actually looked pretty cool.

Once the trailer gets into the actual movie it doesn't look too bad but I'm not digging the make-up, kind of looks like Mason Verger's burnt face from Hannibal, and I'm not liking the voice either.

I'm not much of a fan of remakes, so dont take my comments as defending the movie, but

Frantic Canadian said:
I'm not digging the make-up, kind of looks like Mason Verger's burnt face from Hannibal,
You're right, it does. But I wouldnt necessarily call that bad. In fact is way more realistic to what a burnt face should look like probably. Lets face it, the original make is pretty fake looking. The K-Mart halloween masks for kids aren't that different than the one used in the movie...

Frantic Canadian said:
and I'm not liking the voice either.
Its different. It reminds me a bit of Bale's Batman, which I find horrendous. But I won't pass judgement until I see more. I think distancing themselves from the original stylistically would be a good thing.

I always get worried when I see Michael Bay's name. Very. Worried.

I'm hoping it is good. I liked some elements of the trailer... this one looks as if it could go either way.

But, definitely too soon to tell methinks.

ThrowgnCpr said:
You're right, it does. But I wouldnt necessarily call that bad. In fact is way more realistic to what a burnt face should look like probably. Lets face it, the original make is pretty fake looking. The K-Mart halloween masks for kids aren't that different than the one used in the movie...

It is more realistic to what an actual burn victim's face would look like but this is Freddy Krueger after all. He's had the same burnt look since the original film in 1984 and this movie, from what I can tell from the trailer anyways, seems pretty true to the original so to have them change his trademark burnt face for something more realistic seems like a pretty bold move on their behalf. I think I can deal with the voice being so different but I don't think I can say the same thing about the burnt face.

Frantic Canadian said:
(...) He's had the same burnt look since the original film in 1984 (...) .
Same concept yes, but the make-up looked more an more fake as time passed (at least to my eyes), I don't know why.
Let's say the original make-up concept looked like Freddy was burnt five minutes ago, and the new one looks more like the skin of someone who was burnt some years ago.

TMBTM said:
Frantic Canadian said:
(...) He's had the same burnt look since the original film in 1984 (...) .
Same concept yes, but the make-up looked more an more fake as time passed (at least to my eyes), I don't know why.
Let's say the original make-up concept looked like Freddy was burnt five minutes ago, and the new one looks more like the skin of someone who was burnt some years ago.

Well yes, they did change it up, but it was the same concept every time. Aside from the felt hat, glove and red/green shirt the other marking characteristic of Freddy Krueger is his trademark "burnt cheese" facial skin. By getting rid of that trademark burn look you're taking something away from him I feel. It's like if they'd take Jason's hockey mask away or you get rid of Groucho Marx's painted on mustache and cigar. It's just not the same.

John Connor vs Freddy :lol:

elbarto1 said:
John Connor vs Freddy :lol:

I know. :lol: And he's got kind of an emo look going. Makes me want to just punch him in the face.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
dont fall asleep! [or the emo-fag sadness will get you] :(

elbarto1 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
dont fall asleep! [or the emo-fag sadness will get you] :(
That's the funniest damn thing I've heard all day. :grin:

A test screening of the ANOES remake was shown in El Segundo CA and based on one person's review of the preview...

... the "teenagers" are actually in their late 20s/early 30s, character dialogue is rather poor, not enough gore in the killings, and the Studio may be trying for a PG13 rating with this movie... :mrgreen:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42932

JasonN said:
A test screening of the ANOES remake was shown in El Segundo CA and based on one person's review of the preview...

... the "teenagers" are actually in their late 20s/early 30s, character dialogue is rather poor, not enough gore in the killings, and the Studio may be trying for a PG13 rating with this movie... :mrgreen:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42932

Yeah saw the AICN review... looks like the trailer is better than the actual movie.
Hope I'm wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom