• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A method for incorporating added music smoothly.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was bored this morning and I've not really seen this topic discussed much at length, so I thought I would share a method I've used to get add music to edits without it sounding out of place. It is inspired by my extensive dabbling in music production.

There are many cases where added extra music might be desired, whether from an isolated score to help smooth transitions or just music from another source. The problem is often times the audio on a soundtrack release will be mastered very differently than how it is mixed in the films sound mix. Often the soundtrack version will sound fuller and brighter, while in the film it will be somewhat scaled back. Less bright and full, not thin sounding or anything but just a little subdued. This is to allow it to be loud enough in the mix without clashing with the sound effects and dialog. Frequencies will be cut a little bit, giving it a tone that mixes easier with other elements to be clearly audible but not get in the way.

This can make it difficult to drop in music from a sountrack or isolated score without it sticking out or sounding out of place or getting in the way. I've gotten around this problem using AI audio matching.

I use izotope ozone for this and imo it is the best, although it is expensive (but they do have generous sales regularly) and I already have it for music. But there are other tools.

Basically you have it analyze a section of audio from the film where it is only music playing (title reveals, credits, or whatever) and it makes a 'reference'. Basically it takes notes of how the eq is setup, how much of each frequency is present, dynamic range etc. It saves this reference and you can pull it whenever you like. Then you take the music you want to add to the edit, you can have it analyze it as well, and then you can have it automatically adjust it to match the reference. And viola! It's now much easier to drop it into the film smoothly. You can tinker with the settings and how strong you want it to be, if the recordings are made with very different acoustics or design, like if it's score from a different film or you are dropping contemporary music in it can sound off but you can just turn the effect down until it sounds 'normal' but will still mix better with the films audio.

This could also be helpful for more than just the score, say if you want to use a different sound mix for certain scenes of a movie that has multiple mixes or incorporate deleted scenes or what have you. Or if you have dubbed over a character you could use it to further match the acoustics and mixing of the other actors. (although izotope neutron might be better for that)

Might not be something many find useful but I'm sitting here bored this morning and thought I would share. I've used it to an extent on most of my edits.

Last edited:
This is my first time hearing of such a program. Sounds complex, but intriguing. Any chance of a demonstration?

Whenever I have time I can probably post examples.

That is very interesting; I would definitely find that useful, as I have been adding in portions of a soundtrack to fill in areas where I have removed or replaced dialogue. The music never quite matches though, for all of the reasons you outlined in your first post.

Quick question:
How good is Izotope Ozone at actually matching and adjusting the music? Does it produce a perfect result, or are you finding that you have to tweak the sound further to get it to fit correctly?

It of course depends on several factors like how different the acoustics are and such, but it's really very good. It obviously can't fix things like room ambience and acoustics but it will make the eq presence and dynamic range, and even to a degree stereo width match. I've mostly only had to do minor tweaking but was able to do it within the program itself. And many times I didn't have to do any.

Make sure you turn off the 'maximizer' for this though. It applies an extra layer of limiting/compression and maxes the volume. Something you would use when mastering contemporary music, but you wouldn't want it on a film score.

Back
Top Bottom