• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A few questions on creating AVI's

Sober

Reaction score
Trophy Points
After a few aborted attempts, Im finally ready to knuckle down and try and re-edit Superman II! But once again I have reached an obstacle before I have even begun!

One of the great things about Sony Vegas is the ability to retain a 5.1 soundtrack - a neccesity for me.

Anyway, I have extracted the footage from the DVD using DVD Decryptor and its left me with the AC3 audio and the M2V Video.

Now here comes the science bit...

When I come to create the AVI in TMPGENC, it shows my intended avi file as having an FPS of 29.97 and I set the video mode as 'interlaced'. But before I began transferring 31 m2v files to AVI I figured I better make 100% sure what I was doing was indeed correct.

So I loaded up the M2V File within DGIndex to see its properties.

Lo and behold it came up with the following:

Video Mode: Progressive
FPS - 23.976

Now I may be stating the obvious here but I need 100% clarifcation...does this mean that I need to create the avi using these settings? I would imagine that if I use 29fps, the audio will be out of synch.

I would be very grateful if someone could confirm this for me though...do I use these settings within TMPGENC and VEGAS when doing my project?

I recommend using autoGK to create the avi, if at all. It will produce a very high quality avi in the bitrate it takes, everything perfectly automated and all based on using freeware.

I was going to use a codec called HuffyUV. Do you have any experience on that? I will have a look at Gordian Knott - but before I do so I need to confirm what frame rate to use.

autoGK will produce high quality xvid, which is very usable. I am not working with losless avi codecs anymore and I was never a fan of huffyuff. I had my experiences with lagarith and they were good. but I am editing pure mpeg now and it stays mpeg.

So when you edit footage you'r not having to recode it using GK or similar packages? If I may ask, what Editing package are you using that allows you to use such a thing?

I managed to snag a program by a company called Main Concept which allows you to edit the raw M2V Files but it was too juttery and unusable.

almsot all of them can handle mpg.
I use Ulead Media Studio Pro, but many favor Vegas, most use womble.

I like Womble for its DVD creation options (more options than most 1-clickers, and easy enough for a tard like me) hehe. I do NOT care for Wombles encoder though. Gah. I want to try out Ulead or [gasp] Vegas...

Ah, but back to the thread at hand haha (sorry to get so off-track). I use AutoGK for creating XviD video. If you want, you could give me the stats of your video [length, resolution, aspect ratio, audio type, etc], and I could tell you how to "tweak" it to maybe give you the result you're looking for. Or you can go balls-out and give it a shot on your own accord, or even use a different encoder. Whatever. Hehe. ;)

It would be most appreciated if you could do that for me! Also, if you could give your reasonining behind your decisions that would help me for other projects too.

Is an MPEG file smaller than an AVI? Why do people prefer one to the other?

superman2-infothauversion.jpg

There's the settings from Michael Thau's edit of Superman II.

When you edit, do you do so with a Dolby Digital 5.1 track or do you think that this is generally a pain to do so you just do a 2.0 track?

Based on the info above, I know that the frame rate needs to be 23.976 and when iv finished the edit and its time to export it..i need to do so with a 3:2 pulldown marker.

But this is all I know so i would be very grateful for your help :)

People prefer DVD to avi because it is more comfortable and plays in a DVD player, so you can watch it on oyur TV.

Sorry, I meant in relation to getting the raw footage in preperation for editing.

If HuffyUV is a lossless format why do others people MPEG for editing? Is it so they dont have to recompress it?

well, lossless AND editing are not always what you think they might be. When I was working with lossless avis a long time ago there were interlacing problems and loss of detail and other issues. I prefer working the mpg any day, but the way I do it (and most faneditors do it) fanediting is a 1-time-only encode process. Which means you encode mpg to mpg exactly 1 time instead of going mpg to avi to mpg.

Back
Top Bottom