• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

5.1 vs 2.0 Audio and fanedit reviews

Lots of good surround editing tricks pointed out for ya Severian. Maybe an experiment for your next edit? Hopefully there will be one?!?

I am strongly of the belief that if you are going to release a 5.1 track, you need to be able to listen in 5.1 while editing. Every audio change ideally needs to be listened to in the same way the audience will hear it prior to completion. Not doing so invariably results in some bad audio fades that will get more points taken off by me than not having a 5.1 track at all. I personally try to always do a 5.1 speaker pass and a stereo headphone pass. If one can't do that, then I agree it is probably wiser to just release a stereo track.
Captain Khajiit, I guess I'm either not understanding your point or just don't agree. Its one thing when we are talking about Star Wars ANH from 1977. Its another when we are talking a recent action movie like Prometheus that was originally intended by the director to be in surround sound and originally mixed and released as such. I definitely would take points off if that fanedit only had a mono track.

Let me try to remove all the personal preference from the equation by saying its not about punishing a faneditor because they don't meet some subjective audio standard. To me its about rewarding faneditors that give viewers the option. Both a 2.0 and 5.1 track option is ideal IMO, but if a faneditor has to pick one audio track to work on and release, at least the 5.1 can be auto down mixed.

Neglify said:
No need to "fake" the 5.1 if deleted scenes are 2.0. Multiple times I've added 2.0 deleted scenes to a 5.1 edit. I put the 2.0 track in the center and maybe add music to the front channels. Nobody has complained about that so far.

True, for my edits I've separated the channels for a 5.1 segment of audio and removed C, L and/or R to get rid of unwanted off dialogue/sound effects; then just duplicated SL and SR on top of the then vacant channels to keep the audio track consistent.

This only works on audio tracks that actually separate ambient music and noise from dialogue though.

geminigod said:
Captain Khajiit, I guess I'm either not understanding your point or just don't agree.

Judging by what you wrote, it's the former; but we don't seem to be getting anywhere, so I'll leave it there.

I am strongly of the belief that if you are going to release a 5.1 track, you need to be able to listen in 5.1 while editing. Every audio change ideally needs to be listened to in the same way the audience will hear it prior to completion. Not doing so invariably results in some bad audio fades that will get more points taken off by me than not having a 5.1 track at all. I personally try to always do a 5.1 speaker pass and a stereo headphone pass. If one can't do that, then I agree it is probably wiser to just release a stereo track.

I do, however, agree with this, which is why I think that releasing 2.0 rather than 5.1 is not simply a matter of effort.

geminigod said:
Its another when we are talking a recent action movie like Prometheus that was originally intended by the director to be in surround sound and originally mixed and released as such. I definitely would take points off if that fanedit only had a mono track.

But what if the point of the edit was to make it a 50's b/w sci fi movie with a flying saucer instead of the prometheus ship and other retro tomfoolery, and a mono mix was a stylistic choice because A it would fit the theme, and B because one was working with just the center track and replacing all the music and much of the sound effects.
That also relates to my Public Enemy edit; same reasons for choosing to go with a mono mix, I have to make the various bits of sound (dialog, sounds, music) sound appropriately old, and edit it in such a way to sound like it was edited (or could have been edited) with the primitive 30's equipment. IMO its much more work than going with a explosive 5.1 track but necessary.

All right, so I'm not quite​ sure where that fits in the discussion but I felt it should at least be brought up.

Rogue-theX said:
But what if the point of the edit was to make it a 50's b/w sci fi movie with a flying saucer instead of the prometheus ship and other retro tomfoolery, and a mono mix was a stylistic choice because A it would fit the theme, and B because one was working with just the center track and replacing all the music and much of the sound effects.
That also relates to my Public Enemy edit; same reasons for choosing to go with a mono mix, I have to make the various bits of sound (dialog, sounds, music) sound appropriately old, and edit it in such a way to sound like it was edited (or could have been edited) with the primitive 30's equipment. IMO its much more work than going with a explosive 5.1 track but necessary.

All right, so I'm not quite​ sure where that fits in the discussion but I felt it should at least be brought up.

IMO, for stuff like that I don't think points should be taken away. But like I said, everybody's gonna rate stuff based on they're own preferences.

I would never deduct points for using 2.0 as a stylistic choice. For instance, I would definitely deduct a point or two for a straightforward edit of Attack of the Clones that didn't use 5.1, but not for something like Rogue's Super 8 version.

geminigod said:
Lots of good surround editing tricks pointed out for ya Severian. Maybe an experiment for your next edit? Hopefully there will be one?!?

Yes, thanks for the tips, guys. I'll keep all that in mind for future edits. But as you mention, testing the a 5.1 edit would still be my major concern - even with others willing to try my the edits on their own 5.1 setups, there's some sound edits I had to do many many iterations of get right (or at least acceptable) in Giftbearer, so that kind of interative work would be difficult without my own 5.1 system. But I'll be thinking about it all...

Make 2 tracks. 5.1 and 2.0, that way you can verify the 2.0 track and say that your preferred audio is 2.0.

TV's Frink said:
I would never deduct points for using 2.0 as a stylistic choice. For instance, I would definitely deduct a point or two for a straightforward edit of Attack of the Clones that didn't use 5.1, but not for something like Rogue's Super 8 version.

This was my argument in relation to HD vs SD video

Rogue-theX said:

Lol, Rogue, your edits are in a league of their own. And I say that with extreme admiration and affection. :grouphug:

I think it's a situation where an 8/9 is equal to an A. It's a great grade and you did really well. But usually that A+(10) only is earned by going out of your way to guarantee a perfect grade, with extra credit, etc.

It's just hard for most people to see anything less than a 10 for something they feel is extra.

Perhaps the ratings should go to 11?

nightstalkerpoet said:

They do. It's just that no one has scored that high yet.

nightstalkerpoet said:

spinal_tap_but_it_goes_to_eleven.jpg

Back
Top Bottom