• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

5.1 surround help

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi :grin: i only just started working on my own fan edit edit of silent hill, and many of the edits as i plan them will require changes to be made to the audio tracks and i am not completely sure how to reconstruct them afterwords

i have taken the liberty of stealing this picture from another thread to ilustrate what i dont understand http://i19.tinypic.com/441lvg5.jpg

now the picture has 5 speakers and i have 6 audio files C, L, R, LS, RS, and LFE

i have put LFE on the LFE only option and selected the dvd quality cutoff in the prefrences audio tab (sry if i said anything wrong here working off my poor memory of what i did)

now i am wondering where exactly i should put the other 5.

should i put C on top of the middle speaker, L on the top left, r on the top right and the other 2 on the bottom speakers or should the audio channels be placed on less extreme points in the graph?

now i want to preserve the 5.1 sound since much only two parts of the movie will really undergo large sound edits, so the idea was to just add the edited and unedited together into one happy movie but my earphones dont do 5.1 so keeping that in mind should i turn the audio into stereo after it is edited or is good quality 5.1 still possible?

thank you ffor you help sorry for being a nub :grin:

The usual order for surround tracks is L R C LFE LS RS at least that's what I was told from a buddy of mine who does that stuff for a living.

Chris

now i want to preserve the 5.1 sound since much only two parts of the movie will really undergo large sound edits, so the idea was to just add the edited and unedited together into one happy movie but my earphones dont do 5.1 so keeping that in mind should i turn the audio into stereo after it is edited or is good quality 5.1 still possible?

You can convert your stereo back to fake 5.1 sound with vegas video. It is definetly better than stereo then (especially because of the volume drop for voices), but of course no real 5.1. But messing all the time with the 6 channels is VERY tedious and probabaly too much of an effort.

ok thanks you 2 :) i guess ill continue to edit the 6 chanels to make the relative edits i want and then use vegas to turn it into stereo and fake 5.1 :-? i think i saw an option for that anyways

I'll get the hang of this stuff someday :smile:

I am sure you do. Keep it up. :)

Back
Top Bottom