• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

5.1 AC3 ---> 6 mono WAV help

JDubyew

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of my first serious fan edit i.e. with professionally edited cuts and 5.1 surround sound, but I'm having some issues with the sound.

What I did was take a 440MB, 448kbps AC3, which was a 6 channel file, put it through Hypercube Transcoder with Native Processing and let it convert it to six mono WAV files. I'm having 2 major problems with this.

1) It only rendered out the Center, Left and Right channels properly. The rear ones and the subwoofer channel all rendered as blank files. Any idea why?

2) As the audio continued on, it got more and more out of synch with the video, so much so that the audio is a good 4 seconds shorter than the actual movie. Again, any idea why?

3) Native Processing seems to work very rarely. I got it to work once. When I tried to re-transcode a new rip of the AC3 file, when I click "Start" nothing happens. Then when I try and do it with DirectShow Processing it works fine, but the final audio is sped up by about 150%.

Can anybody offer suggetsions as to why this is happening and/or suggest alternatives to the Hypercube Transcoder?

Would you mind explaining clearly steps on how to use it?

It's been quite a while since I've used it but if memory serves you have to:

1. Rip audio
2. Open BeSweet
3. In the box labeled "Locations" click on the folder button next to the box that says "BeSweet.exe".
4. Find the location of your BeSweet folder and select the BeSweet.exe file. There should be two icons. One has a picture of some old dude and the other one is is a picture of something that looks like it belongs on a soundboard. I can't remember which one it is but the soundboard looking one is bigger so it's probably that one.
5. Next to the "Input" box find and select the audio file that you want to convert. Should be an .AC3 file.
6. Next to the "Output" box select where you want to save the 6 WAVE files that will be created.
7. In the box labeled "Output", you'll see that it has a drop-down menu that is highlighted yellow, select "Six Waves".

From that point unfortunately I can't remember. Hopefully somebody else will be able to help you with the rest. Should only be one step though.

Ah okay thanks a LOT, I figured it out.

Unfortunately, it rendered out with very similar results to the original render: It slightly lags behind the film and also some tracks and empty. However, it rendered it in about 20 minutes instead of 6 hours, which is always a plus. :p

Anyway I think I figured out the problems. Firstly, the tracks aren't REALLY empty, they are just at a MUCH lower volume the majority of the time than the center/front left/front right channels. And secondly, I think I know why the sound lags. I ripped the film from my personal copy of the movie I am editing, but the video is at PAL resolution and framerate. I ripped it at an NTSC resolution and framerate, and so the movie is slightly longer and so the audio is slightly shorter.

Is there any way to lengthen ripped PAL audio to NTSC length? I read Boon's tutorial but I believe that is for the other way around only.

Glad you figured out the problem, and that BeSweet worked much faster, but as you can probably tell by my name, I'm Canadian, so I live in NTSC country. I have no experience working with PAL sourced video, in fact the only official PAL DVD I have is the UK region 2 release of Bugsy Malone. But there are several PAL-friendly users here who can hopefully help you out.

Ah, okay then. Nonetheless, thanks again for the help so far. :)

Because of how rediculously convoluted the issue was, I decided to completely scrap all the renders/audio files I have currently and re-do everything (I've done a rough prototype of the edit in quetion and always wanted to start pretty much from scratch for the final version) by following ONLY tutorials and to the letter. Currently the plan is to demux the DVD rip with DVD Decrypter, then convert the M2V and AC3 files to lossless AVI and 6 mono WAV files respectively.

I've no idea what you mean when you say you ripped a PAL DVD at NTSC resolution. Follow this procedure:

1. Rip the DVD with DVDFab;
  2. Demux with PGCDemux;
  3. Convert the audio to mono wavs with whatever program you want.

Thanks for that Khajiit, but in the end I decided to just edit it in stereo and release it as an AVI, then if many people enjoy it then I'll release it as a DVD afterwards.

Could anybody give general tips to make audio cuts as smooth as possible when editing with stereo audio?

crossfade every cut, at least for a frame or two to eliminate pop.
audio editing is the most tricky, simply try it, listen to it [i suggest closing your eyes] if you notice it, its likely a viewer will also.
through trial and error you will get the hang of it.

Definitely one of the most challenging aspects of fanediting. Sometimes a simple fade or crossfade works fine and is surprisingly easy, but often it requires some creativity. In order to make some scenes work I have had to overlay music obtained externally from the movie. Sometimes I have had to delete some video just for the sake of making the sound work. It is a mixing art-form with no one solution or right way.

Back
Top Bottom