• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2018 Movies

TM2YC said:
Mortal Engines (2018)
Despite costing half of what other big FX blockbusters cost, Peter Jackson's team have managed to make almost every frame of this eye-popping and outlandish fantasy look photo-realistic.

Yeah, sorry, but some concepts I just can't get behind. A snail racing race cars? No. A 100-year-old vampire going to high school and falling madly in love with some random girl? No. Crossing black holes to reach uncharted planets as a more plausible future for the human race than fixing some agricultural blight back on Earth? No. And, centuries in the future, entire cities lumbering around? Uh, no. And, predictably, Mortal Engines is DOA at the worldwide box office.

Anyhow, Peter Jackson says he still hasn't totally decided what the next Tintin adaptation will be. Well, his slate just got a bit clearer, so maybe that'll finally be his next project.

The year is over, time for the Best and Worst Lists. There are still some big titles I've yet to see, mainly Oscar-worthy stuff that I'll catch up on in Jan and Feb. Here's my full ranking list for 2018 releases.

Top 10 -
1. A Quiet Place
2. Game Over, Man!
3. Black Panther
4. Unsane
5. Sorry To Bother You
6. You Were Never Really Here
7. Avengers: Infinity War
8. Bad Times At The El Royale
9. Incredibles 2
10. They'll Love Me When I'm Dead

Bottom 5 -
1. Hellraiser: Judgment
2. The Cloverfield Paradox
3. Slender Man
4. Death Wish
5. Maze Runner: The Death Cure

top 10
1. Hereditary
2. A Quiet Place
3. MI Fallout
4. Mandy
5. The Guilty
6. American Animals
7. Cargo
8. Game Night
9. Thoroughbreds
10. Tully

Bottom 5
5. Mile 22
4. Venom
3. Action Point
2. The Predator
1. 15:17 To Paris

2018 Top 10:

10. Game Night - Great script, fun direction, engaging lead performances as a couple who works well together, and Jesse freaking Plemons knocking it out the park.
9. Searching - I thought this movie was going to be just a gimmick. But instead a fantastic debut that uses the screen to tell a story in a new way. Sure, the ending is a bit much but a great John Cho and whipsmart editing still make this a great watch.
8. A Quiet Place - A surprisingly sure hand from a first time director. Brilliantly acted (the tub scene with Emily Blount being standout) and a tight script, too. I would say this is a brilliant rumination about a social issue (in this case having children/family) under the guise of a scary movie but THAT'S WHAT GOOD HORROR MOVIES HAVE ALWAYS DONE /rant.
7. BlacKkKlansman - Angry Spike Lee is my favorite Spike Lee. Really entertaining while also commenting on serious issues. It has a nuanced opinion of police which is not often seen in films focusing on race relations. Lil' Denzel and Adam Driver are both great.
6. Bodied - A whirlwind of sharp dialogue, great battle raps, satire, jokes and more. I love that this movie brings you in (via a former Disney kid, no less, which the movie references multiple times) and allows you to enter the world of battle rap. However, as it goes along, it goes from letting you laugh riotously at everybody to making you consider if you really should be. It ends up not coming down on either side but is a really provocative piece of art, that is also flat out funny.
5. Mission Impossible: Fallout - I really have no idea how Tom Cruise keeps topping himself. The stuntwork and action in this movie are mind-blowing. Take that and add in one of my favorite M:I scores (how?? I thought they had done every permutation of that iconic theme possible) and this is the best piece of action filmmaking since Fury Road IMO. Also, if you're typing a response, calm down it's not as good as Fury Road. Few movies are.
4. Annihilation - This movie left my head spinning. The idea of trauma as cancer is very moving to me. Sure, the dialogue is on the nose a lot, but I think when you make a film so abstract that is necessary. It connected with me in a big way and still leaves me thinking about the human condition.
3. Black Panther - The best film Marvel has made, which is saying something. Ryan Coogler has never disappointed, and he doesn't here. To be able to do the superhero formula and spectacle while imbuing it with rich thematic depth is a feat. And they're not separate, the latter informs the former. Michael B. Jordan is outstanding as Killmonger, his final words will haunt me for years to come. I was delighted by this movie throughout but the scene where Killmonger eats the herbs and goes back to his childhood in his mind was when I knew this was very special. The storytelling control is immaculate, and in the end we all try to emulate the best from our parents, but we can also try to learn how to be better.
2. Minding the Gap - I watched this just last night and was blown away. It seems like it's going to be a very well-shot ode to skate kids and growing up. But early on, you realize that this is so much more. It ends up being a fascinating, unflinching, fearless essay about masculinity, domestic violence, coping with trauma, and how all that complicates friends and family. The editing is so good that it boggles my mind how they even put this together.
1. Eighth Grade - This is a special film. Sure, it's about raising an eighth grade girl in the world of modern technology but that's just the log line. I thought I would sympathize with the father of this one (and I definitely did to some degree) but ended up relating so hard to Kayla. The technology is not important at all, there are so many moments that are so relatable (unless you were super confident and cool, I guess). Teenagers' emotions are so strong. That's how hormones work. And yet once we grow up we tend to think of teens as overly hormonal and emotional. Once they get older they'll realize their crush isn't their soulmate, etc. Even stories ABOUT that very thing like Romeo + Juliet always portray the youngsters as too emotional, too passionate, etc. One of the beautiful things this movie does is that it treats Kayla's emotions as normal and valid, because to her THEY ARE. While watching I recalled the frustration of older folks' condescension as a teen. And though they were of course correct, the feelings are valid when you're feeling them. This movie treats that as the default, and it was so refreshing. Combined with the type of brilliant editing that will never win awards (not showy or dazzling, just cutting each scene on the perfect beat) and it is my favorite of this year.

Just missed the list:
Upgrade
The Favourite
Sorry to Bother You
Avengers: Infinity War
Crazy Rich Asians

EDIT: Added thoughts on each movie

I liked almost all the movies I saw this year, but absolute favorites? That'd have to be the ones I enjoyed the most. Creed 2 is probably the objectively best film I saw from this year.

I guess, my favorites are, in no particular order, 
Creed 2
Solo
Ant Man and the Wasp
Aquaman
Venom
Infinity War
Into the Spiderverse
Ready Player One
Halloween
Deadpool 2

thecuddlyninja said:
2018 Top 10:

10. Game Night - Great script, fun direction, engaging lead performances as a couple who works well together, and Jesse freaking Plemons knocking it out the park.
9. Searching - I thought this movie was going to be just a gimmick. But instead a fantastic debut that uses the screen to tell a story in a new way. Sure, the ending is a bit much but a great John Cho and whipsmart editing still make this a great watch.
8. A Quiet Place - A surprisingly sure hand from a first time director. Brilliantly acted (the tub scene with Emily Blount being standout) and a tight script, too. I would say this is a brilliant rumination about a social issue (in this case having children/family) under the guise of a scary movie but THAT'S WHAT GOOD HORROR MOVIES HAVE ALWAYS DONE /rant.
7. BlacKkKlansman - Angry Spike Lee is my favorite Spike Lee. Really entertaining while also commenting on serious issues. It has a nuanced opinion of police which is not often seen in films focusing on race relations. Lil' Denzel and Adam Driver are both great.
6. Bodied - A whirlwind of sharp dialogue, great battle raps, satire, jokes and more. I love that this movie brings you in (via a former Disney kid, no less, which the movie references multiple times) and allows you to enter the world of battle rap. However, as it goes along, it goes from letting you laugh riotously at everybody to making you consider if you really should be. It ends up not coming down on either side but is a really provocative piece of art, that is also flat out funny.
5. Mission Impossible: Fallout - I really have no idea how Tom Cruise keeps topping himself. The stuntwork and action in this movie are mind-blowing. Take that and add in one of my favorite M:I scores (how?? I thought they had done every permutation of that iconic theme possible) and this is the best piece of action filmmaking since Fury Road IMO. Also, if you're typing a response, calm down it's not as good as Fury Road. Few movies are.
4. Annihilation - This movie left my head spinning. The idea of trauma as cancer is very moving to me. Sure, the dialogue is on the nose a lot, but I think when you make a film so abstract that is necessary. It connected with me in a big way and still leaves me thinking about the human condition.
3. Black Panther - The best film Marvel has made, which is saying something. Ryan Coogler has never disappointed, and he doesn't here. To be able to do the superhero formula and spectacle while imbuing it with rich thematic depth is a feat. And they're not separate, the latter informs the former. Michael B. Jordan is outstanding as Killmonger, his final words will haunt me for years to come. I was delighted by this movie throughout but the scene where Killmonger eats the herbs and goes back to his childhood in his mind was when I knew this was very special. The storytelling control is immaculate, and in the end we all try to emulate the best from our parents, but we can also try to learn how to be better.
2. Minding the Gap - I watched this just last night and was blown away. It seems like it's going to be a very well-shot ode to skate kids and growing up. But early on, you realize that this is so much more. It ends up being a fascinating, unflinching, fearless essay about masculinity, domestic violence, coping with trauma, and how all that complicates friends and family. The editing is so good that it boggles my mind how they even put this together.
1. Eighth Grade - This is a special film. Sure, it's about raising an eighth grade girl in the world of modern technology but that's just the log line. I thought I would sympathize with the father of this one (and I definitely did to some degree) but ended up relating so hard to Kayla. The technology is not important at all, there are so many moments that are so relatable (unless you were super confident and cool, I guess). Teenagers' emotions are so strong. That's how hormones work. And yet once we grow up we tend to think of teens as overly hormonal and emotional. Once they get older they'll realize their crush isn't their soulmate, etc. Even stories ABOUT that very thing like Romeo + Juliet always portray the youngsters as too emotional, too passionate, etc. One of the beautiful things this movie does is that it treats Kayla's emotions as normal and valid, because to her THEY ARE. While watching I recalled the frustration of older folks' condescension as a teen. And though they were of course correct, the feelings are valid when you're feeling them. This movie treats that as the default, and it was so refreshing. Combined with the type of brilliant editing that will never win awards (not showy or dazzling, just cutting each scene on the perfect beat) and it is my favorite of this year.

Just missed the list:
Upgrade
The Favourite
Sorry to Bother You
Crazy Rich Asians

I don't know where it's fitting in but 'Minding the Gap' is going to be somewhere in the top five. Watched this last night and was blown away. The editing is astonishing. I thought it was going to be a doc about skate kids but it ends up being an essay on masculinity, domestic violence, friendship and family. Just beautiful.

JEDIT: Number two, that's where it came in. Edited quoted post to include some brief thoughts on each film.

My Top 10 of 2018 (in no particular order)
Aquaman
Game Night
Mission: Impossible Fallout
Mary Poppins Returns
Blackkklansman
Overlord
Bohemian Rapsody
Widows
A Quiet Place

Bottom 5
Patient Zero
Solo: A Star Wars Story (if cinematography was decent, wouldn't be on list)
Mom and Dad
Pacific Rim: Uprising
American Animals

Top 5 Surprises
Upgrade
Halloween
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Bumblebee
Tomb Raider

Top 5 Still to See
First Man
Bad Times at the El Royale
The Mule
A Star Is Born
Mary, Queen of Scots

OH
WHAT AM I SAYING?
MANDY IS MY NUMBER ONE MOVIE OF 2018

The Favourite (2018)
The bitter power struggle between Queen Anne (Great Britain 1707 - 1714), her closest confidant and a new ambitious arrival at court. This is the polar opposite of safe and cozy period dramas, the performances are raw, the characters are outrageous and it's shot like only Yorgos Lanthimos could. However, it's reminiscent in style, subject and attitude to Peter Greenaway's superb 1982 film 'The Draughtsman's Contract' (set about 15 years before) which I watched a couple of months ago, so if you liked this film then I'd suggest going back and checking that one out afterwards. 'The Favourite' deserves all the awards it will surely win.

^ Great commentary from Rachel Weisz on this memorable scene.

Mary Poppins Returns (2018)
If you want to be fully swept up in the magic of this sequel you will need to concentrate really hard on the endless array of wonderful songs and joyously colourful visuals, so that you don't allow yourself a single second to notice the sloppily written script... unfortunately I was not up to that task but I still had a good time.

Lin-Manuel Miranda is endearing and perfectly cast as the Bert replacement, with a Cockney accent that's appropriately all over the place. Meryl Streep's cameo scene/song was a real highlight. Emily Blunt was a suitable choice for Poppins but there was something lacking I couldn't pinpoint, compared to the original. The three child actors could have been better. At 130-minutes it's too long, yet still felt like scenes/lines were trimmed to get it shorter (I might be wrong?). Problems probably stem from this being a scene-for-scene remake of the original at it's core but with the surface details changed (arguably for the worse). But as I said, the songs are so damn good that the cracks are very nearly papered over.

Some random spoiler-ific problems I noticed:

- Having two actors from the Paddington movie in the first scene in the house, where there is a plumbing leak and talk of marmalade was just distracting :D .
- The location of the MacGuffin is made so blatantly obvious early on, that every time the story returned to the hunt for it, I just felt frustrated that the characters were not on the same page as me. The Director is to blame for mishandling this aspect.
- Michael (the father) declares that they can't leave the house because it's full of all the memories of his recently dead wife, so he goes into a beautiful sad song about missing her and then starts to throw all of her old cr*p out in the rubbish. Er, hang on, so does he want to hang onto the memories, or discard them? Make up your mind script.
- The house really matters, saving it is what 90% of the film is built around. Then it's not important when the kids sing a song to their father. Then it's really important again and a big overly dramatic chase ensues in order to save it. Then the family learn the moral of the story, that the house isn't important in the end, as long as you have family. Then they get the house back and Mary Poppins leaves the instant the Banks are back in the house because the house was really important after all. Er, okay?
- The bit where Mary Poppins takes to a music-hall stage, puts on a saucy voice and sings a double-entendre laced song to the children was a bit weird wasn't it?
- The sister being a labour organiser goes nowhere, literally and thematically. Now I think on it, in what way did Mary Poppins save the sister? Saved her from being an important political figure and got her a nice boyfriend to settle down with? :rolleyes:
- The sequence meticulously recreating the animation of old Disney films was really sad. Remember when Disney used to make new animated feature films? (it was 10 years ago) Sigh.
- What was with all the BMX bikes doing tricks in 1930s London?
- Van Dyke Ex Machina was the worst part. Dick has a charming little cameo at the end but a cameo in which he renders the entire preceding 2-hours irrelevant by saying, you know that MacGuffin, doesn't matter. So if Mary Poppins had not returned, the family would have kept the house anyway. Nice job writers.
- Why did the film come to it's natural end and then an entirely redundant new funfair scene starts up where the good characters rise up in some sort of balloon-based rapture and the evil character's balloon symbolically descends downwards. Bizarre.
- The final song is about the Banks father learning to be childlike again (simply because that's what the original ending was about) except this time the film is about the father nearly losing the house because he hasn't behaved like a responsible adult.
- This being basically a remake: They retain the "father learns that his family is more important than money" arc but forget that this new father is shown to know this from the start (That's why he is losing the house). Poor Ben Whishaw is forced to play both diametrically-opposite character traits, meaning he sometimes comes off as deranged, shouting at the children, then hugging them sweetly, alternately throughout the film.
- The subplot about the Banks father being an artist who has stopped painting is not resolved and the reasons for him not painting are only hinted at and not fleshed out.
- Colin Firth's baddie character was one dimensional.
- What happened to the bowl that was being repaired, which was so important in the middle of the film? Felt like a subplot that got axed.
- All the lamplighters endanger their lives in a dramatic climbing scene to turn Big Ben back 5-minutes, as Poppins stands there watching and doing nothing. They finally reach the top but can't reach. So Poppins flies up and does it her self. Pointless scene.
- The Banks father and sister have a brilliant plan to "fly a kite" up through a window, to save the house. Except the window is closed, so Poppins just does it instead. Pointless scene.

^ Songs like this one are easily the equal of the original classics.

I didn't see very many new movies in 2018 but: 
Solo. 8/10
A Quiet Place. 8/10. (A fun ride and well acted but some extreme gaps in logic... such as why the fuck did they not just live by the waterfall etc)
Game Night.  9/10.  Hilarious,  but been too long to say much else. If you like Jason Bateman you'll like it. 
Bird Box.  7/10. Very effective atmosphere,  would have hugely benefited from a standard linear structure. 
Hereditary.  10/10, one of the best horror films I've ever seen. Truly disturbing. 

Not in any particular order.

I would venture to put my list together differently. I will do it in sections each explaining themselves.

A. The movies that almost everyone should have on their top ten list in no particular order:

1. Bird Box: This movie is absolutely amazing. Its a horror movie. Its a social commentary. And...who were the beasts? Do you really get it? I dare say most didn't.

2. Hereditary: A masterpiece of modern horror. Another social commentary. This one's message is more on the surface and easier to grab onto. But...did you really get it?

3. A Quiet Place: Brilliant work from a first time director. Its like a minimalist painting where less is better. Its certainly not that though is it? And who were the beasts?

4. Green Book: A very adept social commentary that's like a double edged sword slicing in two directions at the same time. Most of the movie is appropriately set in the south during a time of political tension and social upheaval. A perfectly cast lead and support. Neither will get the acclaim they deserve because of the more popular movie ruling the Oscars this year.

5. A Star is Born: Speaking of that movie, This might well be the best re-written blockbuster of our time. Perfect cast. Very believable leads. Very poignant if sweet love story. Complete with the visceral sacrifice to make it a tearjerker. It will sweep the Oscars. And it probably should.

6. Bohemian Rhapsody: At last, the late great Freddy Mercury gets some respect. An excellent and well acted biopic of perhaps the greatest frontman of one of the greatest rock bands of all time. Very touching look at the misunderstood genius that he was.

7. Mission Impossible Fallout: I don't know how Tom Cruise keeps doing it. How old is he now? He's older than me and I am ancient. Probably the best action flick of the year. Nonstop thrill ride. I was left gasping for air.

8. First Reformed: I have always liked Ethan Hawke. Gattaca certainly drew me to him. Training Day was another. This may be his greatest role. It starts off slow but moves in a very brave direction taking on a myriad of social issues at the same time as addressing personal issues.

B. Movies on my list that may cause disagreement.

1. Galveston: A story about people with disturbing pasts trying to make right and do good for someone else. A story about the monsters who won't allow that to happen. It's gritty. It's very real and it will knock your heart right out of your chest and leave you teary. My vote for the best movie.

2. The Tale: Just reread my explanation above. Also, Laura Dern is fantastic.

C. Movies that might have made the list if I had watched them.

1. Roma: It's right up my alley. I like a good social commentary.

2. Vice: I do love Christian Bale even if I loathe Cheney and all of his croneys.

D. Movies that I liked that will be on most people's lists but didn't make my top ten.

1. First Man: Yes, I liked it and yes I like Ryan Gosling. I am still not going to put it in my top ten just because of who it is about. And to be honest, I was actually a bit disappointed.

2. The Avengers Infinity War: Excellent movie, no doubt. But aren't the others a bit better? And killing off Spiderman...really?

3. Aquaman: Excellent movie, no doubt. Best DC adaptation since the Batman Trilogy all of which are top ten material. However, this one-as good as Amber Heard looks, isn't.

4. Eighth Grade: Excellent movie for what it is. But certainly not top ten material.

E. The movie that I didn't want to like but did.

1. Halloween: Enough with the reboots and remakes already. It seems that every generation gets their own version of this classic. But...this one has teeth. It is actually very good. Almost as good as the original. And dare I say, Rob who?

F. The movies that I wanted to like but didn't.

1.Rampage: I am sorry if you liked it. To me it was a rip off of King Kong/Planet of The Apes done very poorly. DeWayne Johnson may be laughing all the way to the bank but we are laughing at him as he does.

2. Venom: It was kind of good. I guess. It just wasn't what I was expecting from Tom Hardy and Marvel. Kind of like Daredevil...you just kind of like...say "it was alright" and shrug hoping for better.

G. The movie that was a literal disgrace to the source material.

1. A Wrinkle in Time: This movie was such a joke that it made me ashamed to be a fan of the author and her books since childhood. It made me ashamed that I had been awaiting the moment that this movie would come out all of my life. It made me ashamed that I actually had respect for a couple of the actresses in the movie at one time. A train wreck that never should have been made.

H. And finally...the movie on everyone's list that I somehow just don't get. It gets the "flew right over my head" award.

1. Black Panther: This movie has put me to sleep three times now. Twice in the theatre and once at home so I give up. I really don't get what the big deal is. And I was looking forward to this movie. Someone please explain to me why this movie is so great. Please. Social commentary? I kind of get that. Production? As good as some but no better than other comic book movies. Avengers Infinity War was far superior as was Aquaman. So what was it?

I. A few that didn't quite make my list but were an enjoyable watch:

Bad Times at El Royale
White Boy Rick
Mile 22
Papillon
The Keeping Hours
Tulley
The Equalizer 2
The Girl in The Spiders Web
Solo: A Star Wars Story
12 Strong
Love, Simon
Upgrade
Annihilation
Mandy
You Were Never Really Here

Denizen said:
1. Do you really get it? I dare say most didn't.

2. But...did you really get it?

3. Its certainly not that though is it? And who were the beasts?

Groooooaaaaaaaaaaan.

Hereditary was definitely fantastic though.  But only if you're a sophisticated enough Rick and Mortt viewer to understand it. 

The other two quoted here were good too though,  moreso A Quiet Place.  Bird Box is good,  and was definitely excellently MADE, with a great atmosphere. The editing and structure would have served it well to be more linear though, as it is there's not much tension since you know right from the beginning that all of those characters are red uniforms.

Possessed said:
Denizen said:
1. Do you really get it? I dare say most didn't.

2. But...did you really get it?

3. Its certainly not that though is it? And who were the beasts?

Groooooaaaaaaaaaaan.

Hereditary was definitely fantastic though.  But only if you're a sophisticated enough Rick and Mirth viewer to understand it. 

The other two quoted here were good too though,  moreso A Quiet Place.  Bird Box is good,  and was definitely excellently MADE, with a great atmosphere. The editing and structure would have served it well to be more linear though, as it is there's not much tension since you know right from the beginning that all of those characters are red uniforms.

Right. And I agree with you about living near the waterfall. That is definitely a pothole in the story arc. Lets see if we can figure out why. Shall we?

I don't think Bird Box was in need of more tension because of the underlying message that one would get if they were truly paying attention.
It could have stood to be more linear.

Is anything on that list more than a year old?

Vice (2018)
Adam McKay's throw every technique and story telling device at the wall and see what sticks approach worked pretty well for 'The Big Short', a film trying to communicate very complicated ideas and involving lots of disparate characters. The same applied to a biopic of one man, Dick Cheney and it soon starts to grate. The film literally stops and starts, with constant freeze frames and fades to black. A voiceover by a character that is ultimately irrelevant invades every moment. I don't think there is a single piece of info about the man and his time in government that you won't know already. Still, it's an interesting story so it passes the time well enough. Sadly trapped inside this flawed facade is an astonishing chameleonic performance from Christian Bale... he is Chaney, every facial tick, every vocal intonation, every look. It's not as bad as I'm making it sound but I'm unable to understand why it's up for Best Picture.

Maybe a fanedit could smooth things out some?

I enjoyed Vice.  I liked how it recuperated some tricks from Ėjzenštein’s book.  Yet, something felt off about it.  It’s a good movie with some great, cinematic ideas, but the rythm, the pace of the film felt sincopated somewhat.

My top 10:

10. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - Screw you, I liked it. It was fun. Dinosaurs ate people. I saw childhood favorites like the Baryonyx and the Carnotaurus on the big screen. If I wanted an airtight masterpiece, I'd watch the first film again.

9. Deadpool 2 - The only reason this isn't higher on the list is because not all the jokes landed. There's an existing exit that fixed that, since the unrated cut improved some stuff and unimproved others, but as it was released theatrically it was still a damn fine Deadpool film. 

8. Halloween - I liked RZ's Halloween, but hated 2. I thought the franchise was dead for sure...nope. This was a breath of fresh air.

7. Game Night - What an expertly crafted comedy. The scene with the gunshot wound had me in stitches. Excellent date night film.

6. Incredibles 2 - I loved the first one, I loved this one, Pixar nailed it again.

5. Red Sparrow - A surprisingly taut thriller with an excellent performance by Lawrence. Didn't necessarily keep me guessing, but kept the stakes and the tension high throughout.

4. A Quiet Place - This is one of the most stress inducing horror films I've ever seen. Absolutely brilliant from beginning to end.

3. Teen Titans GO! To The Movies! - A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one. Really funny, lots of clever tongue in cheek references, plus Nick Cage plays Superman. This convinced me to give up my hate and actually watch the series, which I now unashamedly love.

2. Mission Impossible: Fallout - This is THE best action film of 2018, period. I really hate Cruise as a human being but he makes absolutely incredible action films and somehow gets better with time. Cavill was great, too! And the scene with that hook. Damn. So good.

1. Hereditary - what an absolute masterpiece. Scared the bejesus out of me more than once, was consistently shocking, hid the twists and turns in plain sight and was so beautifully crafted. I never thought a horror film would dethrone The Witch as having the best atmosphere, but man this film delivered.

Of course, this is all subjective. My opinions aren't law or anything. 

Honorable Mentions: Solo, Black Panther, Infinity War. Can't add Aquaman since I haven't seen it yet, but I feel like it'll end up here, too. 

Worst film of 2018: Tie between Slender Man and Overboard. Slender Man was one of the dumbest pile of offal with the worst attempts at horror I've ever seen and Overboard was so unabashedly sexist and idiotic that I'm surprised it ever got past the script stage. I don't blame Chris Pratt for the divorce at all, I wouldn't want to be associated with that pile of dog turds either, even by proxy.

Back
Top Bottom