• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2016 movies!!!

2016 films I've seen so far:

10 Cloverfield Lane - 8/10
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - 7/10
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 6/10
Cabin Fever (remake) - 2/10
Captain America: Civil War - 8/10
Deadpool - 8/10
Exposed - 4/10
The Forest - 4/10
The Girl in the Photographs - 6/10
Gods of Egypt - 2/10
Hail, Caesar! - 7/10
Hangman - 6/10
High-Rise - 8/10
Holidays - 1/10
Hush - 7/10
The Invitation - 7/10
Jane Got A Gun - 6/10
Knight of Cups - 7/10
Lake Eerie - 3/10
Last Girl Standing - 6/10
Luciferous - 3/10
The Nice Guys - 9/10
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - 5/10
Regression - 6/10
Southbound - 7/10
They're Watching - 3/10
The Witch - 8/10
Zoolander 2 - 6/10
Zootopia - 9/10

^Cool. I really want to see Nice Guys and I've had Zootopia pre-ordered since my daughter saw it and loved it. Now I'm a bit extra jazzed for both.

"10 Cloverfield Lane" was imho pretty awesome. Great acting, good little story full of suspense. I wished only the movie were longer down there in the bunker, like at least half an hour longer, before getting to the conclusion/climax.

Oh, and the very ending was imho not good. 

The main character survives the bunker, and then she finds out that indeed aliens invaded earth, which is imho a pretty awesome twist. But then she becomes all Ripley-like destroying a huge alien ship with a molotow cocktail. Come on, that's ridiculous!! If someone would like to fanedit this, it's pretty simple: Just make the movie end with her realising that aliens invaded earth, and her saying "Come on!"--- end of movie

Still, imho a good movie despite the imho bad ending and the short runtime. 8/10

Imho you don't need to say "imho" 5 times when reviewing a movie. Once is enough imho.

There was a time when people understood the difference between objective and subjective statements without their being flagged as such.

Neglify said:
Imho you don't need to say "imho" 5 times when reviewing a movie. Once is enough imho.

Imho this post deserves more than the one like I can bestow upon it.  But I may be wrong, because of course that's only imho.

shhh. dudes, if we keep saying it, we just might summon imhotep from the realms of the dead. (imho)

1788517-mummy_imhotep.jpg

Hmm, regarding "10 Cloverfield Lane", the bad ending isn't as bad as I first thought:

I was appalled to see the main character destroy a huge alien ship with merely a molotov cocktail, but it's not as ridiculous as I first thought. They actually explained it a bit before it happened: The toxic gas that the alien ship spew out a minute before showed her that it was highly explosive when touching fire. She noticed it and with the molotov cocktail she basically caused that toxic gas inside the ship to explode...

Still, quite an obvious vulnerability that humans with more firepower than her could have used before to defeat them, and a bit stupid for the aliens to carry such a highly volatile gas inside their ship, so it's still quite a bit ridiculous, just not as highly ridiculous as I first thought. :)

And for her character it played out one of the themes built up in the bunker, when she told the story about her always running away when trouble appears, so her taking action fulfills her character arc, though her taking action against the guy in the bunker did that nearly as well.

That said, I still would prefer a fanedited version, where it ends with her saying "Come on".

I watched 'Warcraft' this morning. I knew nothing of the games but I'm a big fan of Duncan Jones, so ignored the mixed reviews and gave it a go.

It's a lot better than I was expecting and for the most part I really enjoyed it. The CGI ranges from epic and spectacular to fantastic emotional up-close performance capture stuff. Not at all the dodgy looking CGI we saw in the early trailers. You could say the characters were cliched, or you could say they were just well defined and easy to understand but with enough depth and interest to hold the attention.

What I liked most, is that it was a change from the serious Peter Jackson/Game of Thrones version of fantasy, to gloriously bonkers sword and sorcery, with wizards shooting lighting bolts and whispering arcane incantations, magic portals to other worlds and heroes riding giant griffons into battle. Some reviews have mentioned it being so stuffed with Warcraft-lore that it was hard to follow for non-game-fans but I loved all that fantastical gobbledygook. What's wrong with a film where you need to pay attention to the dialogue?

The only major problem was...

...with the ending, in that it doesn't have one. Before the finale I was thinking this was a solid 7/10 piece of entertainment, when the credits rolled I was thinking more of a 1/10. Nothing is resolved and everything is left for a possible sequel to continue. So I can imagine why this film is p*ssing people off so much. I liked it, so despite my irritation I'll be buying a ticket for the next chapter but if you didn't like, this would feel like a total insulting waste of your time.

If this was a stand alone film with a proper ending, our hero would have saved the king, the badguy would have been defeated etc etc. The worst part of the finale is when the best character (A noble orc chieftain) sacrifices himself in a heroic effort to rally the orc horde against the evil Orc necromancer but nothing happens. The horde just carries on as before and then the film ends.

Oh and do not, I repeat DO NOT play a drinking game in which you do a shot every time somebody shouts the name "Guardian" because hospitalisation is guaranteed.

Overall, if you want nothing more than some spectacular escapist fantasy this weekend, then Duncan Jones' film fits the bill.

When it comes to Warcraft, I'm from the old, Tides of Darkness-era "orcs are evil/murderous scum" school. I understand the games' treatment of the orcs has evolved since then, and that the movie matches that even-handedness, but I've been fearing that was a bad move. Star Wars ('77) didn't try to give a balanced view of the Empire, nor did 300 offer any particularly positive take on its Persians. I wonder if it wouldn't have been wiser to focus solely on human characters repelling an invasion, and neither show much of a positive side to the orcs nor rule out such a greater complexity in sequels - maybe toss in a small hint or two. Going for complexity and even-handedness right out the gate, is an ambitious move, certainly, but a wise one? We'll see...

I agree with TM2YC. Warcraft is petty fun until it starts unspooling at the end, bending over backwards to set up future conflict at the expense of dramatic payoff.

While the orcs look incredible, there is a CGI monster at the end of the movie, with a ridiculously bad face. An unconvincingly, distractingly, comically bad render.

Gaith, I would have preffered it to be the other way around - from the point of view of the orcs.

They have the more interesting dynamic, of the people who wish to follow Gol'dan, and those who see that he is evil. They have the most interesting characters. Aside from mediev the guardian, I thought the humans were the weaker half.

The_Nice_Guys_Poster.jpg

I highly doubt there are going be enough great movies in the second half of this year, to nudge Shane Black's new comedy 'The Nice Guys' from my provisional 2016 Top-10. It's an action packed laugh riot. Ryan Gosling is the new master of "toilet humour" ;) , you'll know what I mean when you see it and do GO SEE IT!

I demand that at least 4 sequels are immediately commissioned, so I can spend more time with this misfit trio. I was seriously impressed with young Angourie Rice (Not heard of her before), as she totally holds her own acting-wise against Crowe and Gosling.

An official retro trailer (It spoils a few gags though)...

YES. "Nice Guys" is my favorite so far of the year and I'm almost certain it will stay there by the time the year's done.

Has anybody seen the widely derided 'Gods of Egypt'? For whatever reason, it only just dropped in UK English cinemas this week.

I've heard it's one of of those "So bad it's good" movies, which makes me wanna see it, but I've also heard it's "So bad it's just boring".

too bad gods of egypt is in english. otherwise looks ripe for tiger lilying.

ssj said:
too bad gods of egypt is in english. otherwise looks ripe for tiger lilying.

Are there no dub tracks to use as a basis?  Well, you could just reverse the English dialogue.    Or just open the movie with a disclaimer stating that the ancient Egyptian language my sound like modern day English, but this is just a complete coincidence.

TM2YC said:
Has anybody seen the widely derided 'Gods of Egypt'? For whatever reason, it only just dropped in UK English cinemas this week.

I've heard it's one of of those "So bad it's good" movies, which makes me wanna see it, but I've also heard it's "So bad it's just boring".

It was awful. Don't waste money seeing it in the theaters. Watching it with friends and playing a drinking game would be a riot though.

Back
Top Bottom