• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2001: A Floyd Odyssey

Cynical Cinema

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

THE WORLD'S GREATEST FILM MEETS THE WORLD'S GREATEST BAND
2001: A FLOYD ODYSSEY

Hello Fanedit.org! I've been a big fan of the site for a long time, and I have finally decided to make a fanedit of my own. The film has been a WIP for a long time now.

Background:
If you're familiar with Dark Side of the Rainbow then you should be pretty well-acquainted with the idea of a movie sync. If you're not, a quick explanation: Dark Side of the Rainbow is the combining of the film The Wizard of Oz (1939) and the Pink Floyd album The Dark Side of the Moon (1973). By playing the album over the movie, it appears that the two sync together almost perfectly. There is actually an entire website dedicated to this concept, not just for Oz and Dark Side, but the combining of other films as well. http://moviesyncs.com/

My favorite film is 2001: A Space Odyssey. I am also a big Pink Floyd fan. I have been familiar with the syncing of the "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" sequence and the Pink Floyd song "Echoes" for years. The sync is quite remarkable. This project is an attempt to create a full sync of the film using Pink Floyd music.

Evolution:
When I first started, I was originally just going to mute the audio and play the songs in order from the post on moviesyncs.com. However, I don't like the fact that their mouths move over the music... it takes me out of it. I knew I had to do something bigger and better for a film I loved so much. I made the decision to turn this project from a "true" sync into more of a fanedit. I will be replacing the entire soundtrack with the songs while also keeping the dialogue and sound effects.

Progress:
At the time of this posting, I have finished a rough cut of the movie with all the songs synced up and audio mixed. I still need to go through and do some tweaks and ultimately mix and master the whole thing properly.

Changes:
-Replaced every bit of original music with Pink Floyd music in the order listed below
-Edited levels so they sound good together (dialogue and music are balanced)
-Original music removed from Frank's birthday and chess scenes, dialogue kept
-Recreated monolith high-pitch tone to play over music during Excavation Site scene
-Tweaked the Intermission so the word is on the screen for the whole time and the whole section is shorter
-Added music during otherwise silent scenes

Sources
-Most recent WB 4k blu ray release of the film (used the 1080p version)
-My Pink Floyd CD collection

I hope you are all excited as I am to see this project be completed! If you have any thought, questions, comments, idea, criticisms, etc... Please let me know!

Thanks,

-CC

If any big Pink Floyd fans out there have any song ideas that may work better than these, please let me know! I'm more than happy to experiment.

Sync order:

EDIT: Song changes/new tracklist as of 6/14:
One Of These Days
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
Sysyphus (All Parts)
Welcome To The Machine
The Grand Vizier's Garden Party
Astronomy Domine
The Narrow Way (All Parts)
On The Run
Time
Atom Heart Mother
Careful With That Axe, Eugene (Live)
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Echoes
Fat Old Sun

Old tracklist:
Meddle

1. One of These Days
Ummagumma (1973 Cassette Side 2)
2. Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
3. Sysyphus: Parts I, II, III, and IV
4. The Grand Vizier's Garden Party: Part I - Entrance, Part II - Entertainment, and Part III - Exit
Ummagumma (1973 Cassette Side 1)
5. Astronomy Domine
6. The Narrow Way: Parts I, II, and III
7. Grandchester Meadows
Atom Heart Mother
8. Atom Heart Mother
Ummagumma - Live Album
9. Careful with That Axe, Eugene
10. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
11. A Saucerful of Secrets: a. Something Else, b. Syncopated Pandemonium, c. Storm Signal, and d. Celestial Voices
Meddle
12. Echoes

Note:
-The trailer above is a slightly tweaked version of the 4k trailer, repurposed for my own needs with new music. I am not claiming credit for the majority of the editing!
-This is embarrassing, but I cant figure out how to put an image in this post! Please, Someone help me so I can add the poster (remember, I'm new!)

Last edited:
You definitely have my interest! Very excited to see this. A very compelling trailer.

Thread moved to In The Works. When approach completion, please reach out to @ArtisDead to submit your edit to the academy. Happy editing!

Very cool. I did the Echoes/JBTI sync in the last 20 minutes of this edit.

It didn't fit exactly the way I wanted to, especially where Echoes builds up to that point at about 19:10, so I edited the video in a bunch of spots to make it fit better. Come to think of it, I might have even used the 16 minute version of Echoes instead of the full version. It's been so long, I don't remember.

Very cool. I did the Echoes/JBTI sync in the last 20 minutes of this edit.

It didn't fit exactly the way I wanted to, especially where Echoes builds up to that point at about 19:10, so I edited the video in a bunch of spots to make it fit better. Come to think of it, I might have even used the 16 minute version of Echoes instead of the full version. It's been so long, I don't remember.
Awesome! I'll check it out!

Interesting! I made a very similar edit. I'm not sure how to get it up on this site, so I posted it on Reddit instead. I called mine 2OO1: A Pink Floydyssey! (...Mostly because I love names that are kinda dumb! 🤷‍♂️)

I'd love to know what you think... but unfortunately I can't comment links yet. 😅

Interesting! I made a very similar edit. I'm not sure how to get it up on this site, so I posted it on Reddit instead. I called mine 2OO1: A Pink Floydyssey! (...Mostly because I love names that are kinda dumb! 🤷‍♂️)

I'd love to know what you think... but unfortunately I can't comment links yet. 😅
Mr. Oaktree himself! Funny seeing you here... I actually had a bit of a discouraging moment a few weeks ago when I found your reddit post... but then it quickly became clear that we were working on different projects. I think the main difference is you edited the film to fit with the music while I edited the music to fit with the film. I did watch yours-- it was excellent! I especially liked the use of Atom Heart Mother for the intro. I'm a big fan of music video editing and adding popular music to film in general. To watch the movie reworked to fit perfectly with the music was an awesome experience. Yours is definitely more transformative than mine and I love that.

I think we definitely had similar ideas but different goals. With mine, I'm trying to preserve the original film while enhancing the experience with a new soundtrack. The first workprint is actually completed and is being reviewed by a site member as we speak. Hopefully I'll be able to release it soon!

I'm also considering a 2010 edit, but subjectzero's is already so good I don't know if I should even bother.

Again, I'm glad to see you here... first I thought you were my archnemesis(jk) but now I know we are kindred spirits :)

-CC

Mr. Oaktree himself! Funny seeing you here... I actually had a bit of a discouraging moment a few weeks ago when I found your reddit post... but then it quickly became clear that we were working on different projects. I think the main difference is you edited the film to fit with the music while I edited the music to fit with the film. I did watch yours-- it was excellent! I especially liked the use of Atom Heart Mother for the intro. I'm a big fan of music video editing and adding popular music to film in general. To watch the movie reworked to fit perfectly with the music was an awesome experience. Yours is definitely more transformative than mine and I love that.

I think we definitely had similar ideas but different goals. With mine, I'm trying to preserve the original film while enhancing the experience with a new soundtrack. The first workprint is actually completed and is being reviewed by a site member as we speak. Hopefully I'll be able to release it soon!

I'm also considering a 2010 edit, but subjectzero's is already so good I don't know if I should even bother.

Again, I'm glad to see you here... first I thought you were my archnemesis(jk) but now I know we are kindred spirits :)

-CC
Oh boy! Yeah, I can only imagine what you must have felt! So much work and love goes into these projects, especially with a movie as long as 2001. It truly is quite the coincidence for us to both make these edits so close together—but great minds think alike! ...And I mean, 2001 and Floyd just go together so well! (Dr. Floyd literally goes to the Dark Side of the Moon! 😂)

I'm glad to hear you liked my take. I'll certainly keep an eye out for yours to officially release. Looking forward to it! ✌️😁

Congrats!
CC2001-NOW-ON-IFDb.png

This is the most ridiculous edit idea, well not as insane as the Milo & Otis edit someone did, but still pretty insane, please do something like this for Star Wars, maybe edit the first star wars into a musical. LOL

I wrote a review and I really loved it. There is only one spot I would have wanted something a little "different," and that is when the bone is being thrown into the air and we see the spaceship. I don't think the music needs to be changed, necessarily, but maybe insert a cue from a different song to give it a bit of a crescendo, or even a sound effect where it builds up and suddenly cuts off in space. The reason I say this is because this scene is so monumental to the film and the transition so climactic, it needs audio to match.

Having said that, I think the song choices were spot-on and the isolation and mix were fantastic. I'm glad you used different volumes of music at different times, allowing scenes to breathe properly. You fearlessly allowed music to fade out and back in when necessary, rather than keep it all one volume throughout important scenes. Great job!

I thought more about the transition (bone to space ship) and the "Speak to Me/Breathe" crescendo at the 1:15 mark would be perfect in this scene, in my opinion...

Even if this were mixed in, then cut off (keeping the same song in place), I think it would work.

I know, this is a completed Fanedit, but I can dream :)

I thought more about the transition (bone to space ship) and the "Speak to Me/Breathe" crescendo at the 1:15 mark would be perfect in this scene, in my opinion...

Even if this were mixed in, then cut off (keeping the same song in place), I think it would work.

I know, this is a completed Fanedit, but I can dream :)
I'll take a look :)

THE WORLD'S GREATEST FILM MEETS THE WORLD'S GREATEST BAND
2001: A FLOYD ODYSSEY

Hello Fanedit.org! I've been a big fan of the site for a long time, and I have finally decided to make a fanedit of my own. The film has been a WIP for a long time now.

Background:
If you're familiar with Dark Side of the Rainbow then you should be pretty well-acquainted with the idea of a movie sync. If you're not, a quick explanation: Dark Side of the Rainbow is the combining of the film The Wizard of Oz (1939) and the Pink Floyd album The Dark Side of the Moon (1973). By playing the album over the movie, it appears that the two sync together almost perfectly. There is actually an entire website dedicated to this concept, not just for Oz and Dark Side, but the combining of other films as well. http://moviesyncs.com/

My favorite film is 2001: A Space Odyssey. I am also a big Pink Floyd fan. I have been familiar with the syncing of the "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" sequence and the Pink Floyd song "Echoes" for years. The sync is quite remarkable. This project is an attempt to create a full sync of the film using Pink Floyd music.

Evolution:
When I first started, I was originally just going to mute the audio and play the songs in order from the post on moviesyncs.com. However, I don't like the fact that their mouths move over the music... it takes me out of it. I knew I had to do something bigger and better for a film I loved so much. I made the decision to turn this project from a "true" sync into more of a fanedit. I will be replacing the entire soundtrack with the songs while also keeping the dialogue and sound effects.

Progress:
At the time of this posting, I have finished a rough cut of the movie with all the songs synced up and audio mixed. I still need to go through and do some tweaks and ultimately mix and master the whole thing properly.

Changes:
-Replaced every bit of original music with Pink Floyd music in the order listed below
-Edited levels so they sound good together (dialogue and music are balanced)
-Original music removed from Frank's birthday and chess scenes, dialogue kept
-Recreated monolith high-pitch tone to play over music during Excavation Site scene
-Tweaked the Intermission so the word is on the screen for the whole time and the whole section is shorter
-Added music during otherwise silent scenes

Sources
-Most recent WB 4k blu ray release of the film (used the 1080p version)
-My Pink Floyd CD collection

I hope you are all excited as I am to see this project be completed! If you have any thought, questions, comments, idea, criticisms, etc... Please let me know!

Thanks,

-CC

If any big Pink Floyd fans out there have any song ideas that may work better than these, please let me know! I'm more than happy to experiment.

Sync order:

EDIT: Song changes/new tracklist as of 6/14:
One Of These Days
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
Sysyphus (All Parts)
Welcome To The Machine
The Grand Vizier's Garden Party
Astronomy Domine
The Narrow Way (All Parts)
On The Run
Time
Atom Heart Mother
Careful With That Axe, Eugene (Live)
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Echoes
Fat Old Sun

Old tracklist:
Meddle

1. One of These Days
Ummagumma (1973 Cassette Side 2)
2. Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
3. Sysyphus: Parts I, II, III, and IV
4. The Grand Vizier's Garden Party: Part I - Entrance, Part II - Entertainment, and Part III - Exit
Ummagumma (1973 Cassette Side 1)
5. Astronomy Domine
6. The Narrow Way: Parts I, II, and III
7. Grandchester Meadows
Atom Heart Mother
8. Atom Heart Mother
Ummagumma - Live Album
9. Careful with That Axe, Eugene
10. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
11. A Saucerful of Secrets: a. Something Else, b. Syncopated Pandemonium, c. Storm Signal, and d. Celestial Voices
Meddle
12. Echoes

Note:
-The trailer above is a slightly tweaked version of the 4k trailer, repurposed for my own needs with new music. I am not claiming credit for the majority of the editing!
-This is embarrassing, but I cant figure out how to put an image in this post! Please, Someone help me so I can add the poster (remember, I'm new!)
Hello everyone! I understand some people are having issues with the file size of 2001: A Floyd Odyssey. I will be releasing a smaller file size version (hopefully under 5GB) in the coming days. Stay tuned, and thanks to everyone for their continued interest and support!

Back
Top Bottom