• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2-IN-1: Chapters and Beginner's Editing

Gothamknight

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi, gang. A 2-part question from the rookie. (1) I've used DVDFab HD Decryptor to copy The Dark Knight. However, I don't see an option to copy in the form of chapters as per the original dvd; instead I get 6 huge files covering the whole movie. I tried using DVD Decryptor, which I prefer and which allows chapter options, but for some reason it can't read TDK (though it read and copied Star Wars just fine). I like working with the original "chapters" from the dvd; how can I break down the files I now have into smaller units?

(2) What do you think is the simplest-to-learn, under-$50 editor for beginners?

Thanks a ton,
Andy

First off, DVD Decrypter is old, and doesnt work against newer protection schemes.

Anyway. So when you rip the dvd with DVDFAB (i use anydvd, but I can't see why it would be different) you are given vob files and ifo files. The chapter points are stored in the ifo. If you open the ifo with something like VLC, you should be able to see menus/chapters/etc.

I think we need more information as to why you want to break the files down into smaller pieces. What is your end goal? What are you trying to accomplish?

Gothamknight said:
(2) What do you think is the simplest-to-learn, under-$50 editor for beginners?

Vegas Movie Studios is an inexpensive and exceptional software for editors.

I second this. It's practical, easy to use, has a wealth of options and gives great results. One downside (that I find, as I'm still a newbie at Vegas) is the render options. But, there's a thread for that. Apart from that, it's a great program. Although, mine keeps crashing, and it might be because I'm using a laptop from 2009 :s

Hey guys, I'm a beginner too.
Really all I want to do right now is make cuts to my movies.

I've used Smart Cutter for DV to make a few cuts.
It is crude, but I like that it only re-encodes the video near the cuts, so it's fast and very accurate.

The major shortcoming of such basic mpeg editors seems to be the lack of audio transitions.
I want software that will cross-fade the audio - as simply as possible.

Is movie studio platinum the right software for me?
Does it make simple cuts to video without re-rendering the whole thing, and make audio transitions easy?

Back
Top Bottom