• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2 Channel Dolby Surround or 2 Channel Dolby Stereo

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When ripping DVDs I have this option to rip the audio:

2 Channel Dolby Surround or 2 Channel Dolby Stereo

but I don't really know which one to use?
For saw i used the surround because it was 5.1 Surround, but what is 2 Channel Dolby Surround?

Dolby 2.0 surround has the surround channels matrixed in, so the surround effect can be recovered by a Dolby Pro Logic compatible amp. Stereo is two channels, plain and simple. It's up to you which one you use. If you intend to upmix the audio to 5.1, surround is the logical choice. If you are intent on making a pure stereo mix, stereo is the logical choice.

thanks, I plan on upmixing, with regular dvds you mostly have the option between 5.1 audio and stereo audio - should I do something similar for the edit as well to select between the two because I guess I can always convert the 5.1 into a stereo track

Most faneditors simply include a 5.1 upmix because players and amps can handle the downmixing and space on discs is usually at a premium, especially on DVD-5s. That being said, many DVD and BD players are not very good at it, so a 2.0 downmix would probably sound better and be appreciated by a number of people if you do have the space. I would recommend HeadAC3he if you do intend to downmix: use the stereo setting. (If you can't fit one on the disc, really don't worry about it.)

By the way, in my experience, most 2.0 mixes on DVDs tend to be 2.0 surround these days. Unfortunately, Blu-rays rarely include stereo or mono mixes, especially in the UK. (US releases are better at this.)

I suppose there is still some equipment out there that might struggle downmixing 5.1, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I might include on my edit a stereo track in the master blu-ray burn for myself since I have the extra space available for it, but certainly not in any versions I intend to upload.

It's not much of a problem, no. All players can do it, but if they don't do it well the vocals are hard to hear. My old HD DVD player has a dialogue enhancement setting that is quite good, and such settings seem to be becoming more common. Media players are noticeably better at downmixing than standalone players in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom