• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

188 minute tv cut of Superman: The Movie getting an official release

addiesin said:
Superman Redeemed was/is a combo edit of Superman 3 and 4 by ADM. It has nothing to do with 1 and uses only one scene from one version of Superman 2.

Ah, I see!  I didn't see that edit, but I really should check it out.  

If they ever do release a Superman II TV cut, it really only has about 13 or so additional minutes if you aren't counting the footage that WAS included with the SII Donner Cut.  

That is a great idea about having additional footage to use elsewhere outside of S1!

The tv edit of Superman 2 uses better takes than the ones used in the Donner Cut. Better line readings, better editing, and better background music. So while it's *technically* the same scenes, it's a different viewing experience. A better viewing (and listening) experience.

*Oh, and Booshman made a better quality edit of the tv edit a few months ago. I helped him get all the framing issues down since he had to take widescreen footage and crop the sides to match the tv footage. I had to watch the movie something like 6 times in 2 weeks lol. He didn't release it because he needed someone with a better sound system than me who could check for audio issues. When no one answered the call, he shelved the project. I'd like to think with this version of part 1 getting an official it might get his creative juices flowing again.

ThrowgnCpr said:
Most TV cuts never get an official release. This is pretty darn cool given how unique this particular TV cut was.

Well, naturally, if the TV cut involves only removing a few minutes of footage for more commercials, or dubbing over some swear words, I don't expect those to get released. But in the DVD era of "deleted scenes" and "director's cuts" and everything else, I would have imagined that this would have gotten a release already -- especially for such a geek-friendly property. Shows what I know!  :p

But admittedly, it's not very important why it wasn't released; it's just good that it finally is.  :cool: I can't even imagine all the variations that this will put at fan editors' fingertips!

You're right that TV cuts aren't usually that unique. The only other one I can think of is Airplane! I watched that for years on TV, and when I finally saw it on DVD, it was a radically different experience! Many gags were cut presumably for their content, and the movie cut back to the little boy and girl acting like adults multiple times, even though in the regular film, we only see them once. (The scenes with the kids aren't the funniest, except for the one that remained in the original film. I'm guessing they added those in to pad out the running time to 2 hours with commercials, after all the other cuts they made!)

I hadn't seen this thread and just posted one about the same thing, so my apologies. I've already killed it with fire.

Anyway... Capedwonder.com knew about this release for a while but wasn't allowed to tell. So far so good but... they dropped hints on Facebook that we should be expecting more Super-surprises for 2018, which if I read correctly, means that Superman II extended TV cut (invaluable for faneditors) will be on its way!

Oh man, the pre-orders only ship to the US. I don't even know how long I'll have to wait for me to get it shipped to my country. This is wonderful news though. I honestly can't wait for this!

Haha as soon as I saw the link I pre-ordered it (on September 30th). Biggest impulse-buy in recent memory :p

Its not shipped yet, so here I am, waiting anxiously!

Received my copy on Friday and watched last night.

From a nostalgia perspective, it was an enjoyable watch.  Seeing things I vaguely remembered from childhood but was not sure of anymore, like the Kryptonian Cop.  Also seeing things I had absolutely no memory of, like the President golfing gag.

But otherwise, this is a bloated version that only exists for the Salkinds to milk even more money out from tv networks, since back in the day, networks paid by the minute for movies they aired.

There is a lot stuff that is just time filler.... watching Kryptonians fall to their death for an extra couple of minutes, watch Lana Lang and gang drive through the fields of Kanas for a couple extra minutes, watch Otis walk the streets of Metropolis for a few extra minutes, Lois and Jimmy wandering around California, etc.   There seems to be alternate longer cuts to some scenes, a lot more of Luthor and cohorts... so much so it makes Superman feel even more like a co-star than lead of the movie.  Also with more of Otis and Teschmaker, comes even more humour.... maybe too much, creating an uneven tone of the movie.  But there are also some nice moments where the camera lingers longer on a scene and creates a stronger emotional character beat.

One thing very noticeable the Suit looks really good in the majority scenes.   It really pops with deep blues and rich reds.  Though there are still some scenes, like the missile chase, where it the blue looks more teal like in the older poor dvd transfers.

I would only recommend this cut for hardcore fans or fan editors looking for alternate material.  If you have never seen Superman The Movie or want to introduce someone to it for the first time, this is definitely NOT the version to watch.  Stick with the theatrical or special edition, both are superior in terms of pacing and narrative compared to this Extended Cut.

Are the "Feed the Babies" scenes in this version?

I JUST received my copy in the mail (took it long enough), and I'm so excited. I can't watch it yet because I'm really tied up with work atm, but its finally in my hands.
Talking about the casing though, the print quality of the sleeve is not as good as I expected. Its the same with the prints on the two Blu-Ray discs, especially in comparison to the Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition DVD's. Even white margins are visible on some areas of the disc cutouts.
These aren't big issues though, I'm just glad I got it today.

My copy arrived about 2 weeks ago and I watched it straight away, with import fees it cost me as much as a 4k film would, but I couldn't see this getting a release on these shore anytime soon so took the chance to buy it as soon as I heard it was region free.

There's a couple of good scene extensions, I liked
feed the babies and the smart rocket dodge

I gotta say I prefer your thinner blu ray cases, we still use the thicker cases from early blu ray days.

I gotta be honest: this film is overrated and definitely hasn't aged well.  Christopher Reeve himself was superb; rarely has anyone been so perfectly cast for a role.  And of course the Williams score is one of the all-time greats.

Beyond those factors, however . . . the whole villain side of the story was quite implausible and underwhelming, and the effects now are unbearable to watch (other than as a study in film history).  Give a digital upgrade to the visuals, and I'll watch it.  Otherwise I can't be bothered.

Gothamknight said:
I gotta be honest: this film is overrated and definitely hasn't aged well.  Christopher Reeve himself was superb; rarely has anyone been so perfectly cast for a role.  And of course the Williams score is one of the all-time greats.

Beyond those factors, however . . . the whole villain side of the story was quite implausible and underwhelming, and the effects now are unbearable to watch (other than as a study in film history).  Give a digital upgrade to the visuals, and I'll watch it.  Otherwise I can't be bothered.

I think that it's an example of a movie whose virtues tower above its flaws. There are indeed some notable flaws and annoyances, but a skillful fanedit that removes the more egregious ones can make it into a near-masterpiece. I'm particularly fond of "Superman: Up, Up and Away Edition" by MusicEd921, and think that it's possible to make an edit that would improve the movie even more than that one did.

Luthor and his plan were a bit goofy, but that didn't really bother me. I've seen much worse Lex Luthor schemes, "Superman IV", "Superman Returns" and "Batman v. Superman" being prime examples.

As for the effects, I don't see the problem. They hold up very well for the most part, in my opinion. There are a few dodgy ones here and there, but not enough to seriously detract from the movie. Besides, I find it fairly easy to forgive flawed special effects in older movies and shows if everything else is good enough to make up for it. I'm even a fan of the Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon serials.

Thanks for the shout out @"hbenthow"!  I LOVE The Flash Gordon Serial Trilogy!  I check my brain at the door and let my imagination run wild into outer space!

Gothamknight said:

To each his own, I guess.  I'm not sure if you watched the movie with 2017 eyes or with 1978 eyes because it does make a world of difference.  The effects we have today are even torn apart by movie fans (I can't believe the bashing I've seen of what people are saying about Thor: Ragnarok's effects).  When Superman came out and people got to see a man look like he could actually fly it was magical to those moviegoers.  Sure, they're definitely rough now, but you have to understand that there was a lot of heart behind making this look like he was flying where now there's no heart behind punching in some effects on a computer to make him fly.  It's easy(ish)!

The whole Lex scheme is very much what a cheesy comic book villain would do.  What I never understand from audiences is that when you have a psychopath making plans, we forget he's a psycho and that his plan doesn't exactly need to make sense to us because, well, he's crazy!

The movie isn't for everyone, like any other movie.  It's sad that you didn't find a connection to it like a lot of us have, but it just wasn't your cup of tea.  I wouldn't base the whole film on the extended cut though because there's waaaaay more padding than what is needed.

Not to get into a completely different discussion since this is a thread about the TV cut, but Gotham, are there other older films with dated special effects that take you out of the viewing experience besides this one?

musiced921 said:
I can't believe the bashing I've seen of what people are saying about Thor: Ragnarok's effects

Honest opinion, I think that while the CGI in Thor: Ragnarok was great, the green screen/blue screen effects were hit and miss. Sometimes they look passable, sometimes they look absolutely awful.

But whatever, off topic. Anyone interested in discussing, we should take this up to the Ragnarok Ideas thread.

Back
Top Bottom