• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

1080p or 4k?

I prefer 4K with 10-bit color space but realize that's probably unrealistic for most edits currently.

I'm currently doing an edit in 4K but the file size is huge. I would love to see more fanedits re-done in 4K 10-bit color space. Looks so good on 4K TVs. I'm even thinking of duplicate-re-editing existing fanedits I like just so I can have them in 4K for my own enjoyment.

I've gone ahead and merged threads that have the same topic and focus. If you can't find the one you were looking for, this is now it.

You can export audio with different bitrates, surround sound, etc.

Not only that, but if you try exporting through Handbrake and mess around with the video bitrate, regardless of whether the resolution is 720p, 1080p or even 4k, the file will always be the same size if they have the same bitrate. I just did a test with a 720p and 1080p file of the same movie where I gave them both a bitrate of 12000 kbps, and they ended up being 11.5gb in size equally.

So, in a way, the bitrate of the audio and video probably has more say about the quality than the resolution of the file.

Also (and I think I've said this before, but just in case), audio takes up less space than video, so you might as well go ahead and crank up the audio quality first and worry about the video quality second (Although it's still wise to have good video quality at worst).

For me the reason to go 1080P vs 4K is the impact on my workflow. Editing in 4K uses a lot of system resources, CPU, Memory and storage. Storage and memory are less of a problem these days however most NLE’s leverage the CPU and 4K tends to be a bit sluggish / inconsistent during playback and scrubbing, especially if you have effects layered on your timeline. The net result being that my workflow is much slower and harder to work with. I’m running a 7950X and that can’t cope with 4K in my NLE. Maybe in a few years time when there’s a big increase in CPU performance, 4K could be viable for me.

4k if the source is available. A downscaled (proper) 4k release without heavy DNR will always look better than a regular 1080p release. And with the added benefit of having 4 times the resolution to crop images without apparent quality loss.

The higher resolution, you export your original video at the better it will look when you convert it to 1080 or 480 or 720 or any resolution.

Last edited:
yes, you can apply HDR to any resolution I think.
Case in point: My HDR 1080p Kingdom of the crystal skull edit. I used the 4k source to crop some shots down to 1080p to create smooth monkey-less transitions.

You can barely tell the images are cropped because they are still more than 1080p. If I had used a 1080p source for my edit you would instantly realise they are cropped shots.

Back
Top Bottom