• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

1080p or 4k?

thepotatoparadox

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I always export my edits in 4k only (that is, if the source is available in 4k). However, I often get people asking for links in 1080p. My question is: is it worth it to export a 4k version?

I am not watching 4K at all, dont have standalone player and my computer isnt too strong and sometimes have problems with it.
I see 1080P as standard and 4K as hi-end which I dont use and dont need.

I don't have a screen that does justice to 4k, and I don't want a colossally huge file. So 1080p for me. Providing a 4k option is great, but probably unneeded for a fair few folk. DVD is outdated now, but I don't think we've hit that point with blu-ray/1080p.

I prefer 4k and the larger the file the better, within reason. I have a nice tv and I like to use it to its highest potential. But I also understand that not everyone has 4k capability and storage is an issue, so I happily watch 1080p as well.

I do all of my edits in 1080p. I don't have a 4K drive for my computer, and I figure it's easier to just distribute edits in 1080p all around.

I don't have enough RAM or disk space to properly edit in 4K, let alone export in 4K

I'm content with just working with 1080p

I was told by a magnolia guy that 1080 vs 4k is only noticed on giant tvs but that the audio on 4k vs 1080 is the biggest difference.

UHD 4K discs can have lossless audio formats not on the regular blu-ray release. This person who can hear the difference is kidding themself.
Also it's great to release in both 4K and 1080p. 4K is the standard today. 1080p is needed for compatibility. Most people looking for fanedits want them in 1080p, so if one is available only in 4K less people will be interested. It's a good idea to edit in 4K even f it's just a 1080p release. If any scenes need some cropping or zooming editing in 4K is best. I edited True Romance in 4K but only released it in 1080p

How do you handle an HDR source and downgrading it to SDR?

Last edited:
choice 1: leave it in HDR - if no color grading is needed and no SDR material needs to be added, it can just be left in HDR.
choice 2: convert to SDR. The only effective way and acceptable way, for me, is to do this is in Resolve (paid version) using it's Dolby Vision tool. You cut each scene into clips automatically with the scene change detection tool. Then let Dolby Vision process each individual clip.

Personally, I have a 4k screen but I don't set it to 4k, I set it to 2k. all my games look sharp as you like from my sofa, so 4k movies are not worthwhile for me. What's more, most 4k movies I've looked at don't have any appreciable enhancement of detail over the 1080p versions. I've tried comparing with closeups in scenes that have detailed elements like foliage, and it looks to be the same detail level.
There are some films that do take advantage of 4K HDR though, such as Glass Onion; that film looks fantastic in UHD.
I think it really just depends on the movie.

Where available, HDR makes a big difference. Are 1080p HDR files an option, or does it only work in 4K?

Back
Top Bottom