• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Green Lantern Reborn by SKYflix (Completed and Trailer available)

SKYflix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is it, it is completed and available!!!
Link to Fanedit Database

Hello dear FanEdit community,

I'm pleased to announce the completion of my very first FanEdit : Green Lantern Reborn.
It's a FanFix of the 2011 Warner Bros movie Green Lantern starring Ryan Reynolds.

k7eb2w5exfxdyb3fg.jpg

Metadata
Faneditor Name: SKYflix
Tagline: Fear will be conquered
Original Movie Title: Green Lantern
Genre:

Fanedit Type: FanFix
Original Release Date: 2011
Original Running Time: 123 min
Fanedit Release Date: July 2014
Fanedit Running Time: 99 min
Time Cut: 24 min
Available in HD? Yes
Source: Green Lantern Extended Cut Blu-Ray

Brief synopsis
When a mysterious alien crashes near Coast City, Hal Jordan existence is turned upside down. Chosen by a mysterious Power Ring, which grants the ability to turn thoughts into reality, he becomes part of an intergalactic peacekeeping force known as the Green Lantern Corps.

Using only his willpower, Hal Jordan must protect the Earth and defeat an ancient and fearful enemy that threatens both mankind and the Corps. To win, Hal must over come great fear and prove his worth as a Green Lantern.

Intention
The Green Lantern universe is a vast, rich and fascinating place. Unfortunately, the original movie only hints as those intriguing possibilities while it plagues the viewer with a hero who refuses to take up the mantle of the Green Lantern and an incoherent villain.

My intention is to streamline the movie by removing most of the bad dialogue, silly reactions shots and subplots. I have reordered some scenes for a more logical and cohesive storyline, keeping only scenes that progress the plot or develop the characters. By doing so, I hope to transform Hal Jordan into the hero he was meant to be -- the GREATEAT GREEN LANTERN IN THE UNIVERSE!

Changes
Summary
  • Removed scenes or parts of scenes that were not progressing the storyline or the characters.
  • Edited all scenes about Hal refusing to take the mantle of the Green Lantern or telling is not worthy of it.
  • Hal feels doubt and fear (a main theme of the movie) about is new role but accepts and embraces it.
  • Edited all scenes about Hector since his acting is sadly inconsistent, erratic and all over the place.
  • Hector is now a more serious character and surrender to the power of fear, until Parallax arrival that is.
  • Reordered a couple of scenes for a more logical and cohesive storyline.
  • A LOT of small cuts to remove cliché and bad dialogues and reaction shots.

Detailed
  • Added a new and intense music during the Warner Bros and DC credits.
  • The movie doesn't start with the Green Lantern universe exposition, the viewers will discover this when Hal does.
  • It rather opens more mysteriously with the alien crash and Parallax waking up with a new and more ominous music.
  • Following Parallax escape, switched directly to the Hal and Carol dogfight with an added title card "PLANET EARTH: SECTOR 2814".
  • Therefore, removed the unnecessary Hal introduction scene, Carol introduction scene and dogfight exposition scene.
  • During Hal crash, removed all 1993 flashbacks and replaced them with new quick flashbacks.
  • Following Hal crash, removed the random ranting about Carol and the Ryan Reynolds type reaction.
  • After Hal is left alone, switched to the 1993 flashback with young Hal unable to sleep with an updated 1993 title card.
  • I kept this flashback because the death of Hal father has defined his personality.
  • Removed the scene between his father and mother talking to keep the focus on young Hal and his father.
  • After waking up, removed the scene of young Hal running outside and toward the airfield and switched directly to the airfield.
  • I kept the scene between young Hal, Carol and Hector because it's the only scene establishing a previous relationship.
  • Removed the ironically easy quote of Hector about alien life on other planets.
  • After young Hal watches his father plane crash and burn, switched back to present day with Abin Sur attacked by Parallax.
  • Following Abin Sur launching to earth, switched to Hal arriving at his nephew birthday party.
  • I kept this event because we have to establish where Hal is when captured by the ring power but it's been shortened.
  • After Hal ears the news about his crash, switched directly to Abin Sur crashed.
  • After the ring power starts searching for a replacement, switched directly to Hal entering his nephew room.
  • Removed Hal speech about reassuring his nephew therefore going directly to Hal giving his father airplane model.
  • After Hal and friend leaves Abin Sur corpse and ship, removed their driving escape and discussion.
  • During the scene where Sinestro announces the death of Abin Sur to the Guardians, added a title card "PLANET OA: SECTOR 0000".
  • Removed the cliché Hector introduction scene, switching to Hector dropping his glasses on the desk.
  • From this point on, removed all cliché and bad dialogues and reaction shots from Hector.
  • Removed the cliché concept about alternating scenes between good and evil rising up.
  • Now, the scene of Hal reciting the oath is uninterrupted with a couple of cuts to tighten the scene.
  • Removed the scene of Hal being afraid of the lantern.
  • After Hal finalizes his oath and opens the door to Carol, switched directly to Hector inspecting Abin Sur corpse.
  • Now, the scene of Hector being infected by Parallax wound is uninterrupted with a couple of cuts to tighten the scene.
  • Added a new and more dangerous music during Hector analysis of the corpse.
  • The scene ends more ominously, slowing down during Hector infection and him getting down and giving his data to Amanda.
  • Removed the old and tired cliché of dropping the car keys and being surprised.
  • Again, removed the cliché concept about alternating scenes between good and evil rising up.
  • Removed all scenes about Hector having a bad night, therefore the scene of Hal flying to Oa is uninterrupted.
  • During Hal examination, added a new scene showing a part of the indoctrination process when zooming on the ring.
  • Added beautiful space shots, Hal mind flying through space, earring his own heartbeat.
  • We then see the original Green Lantern exposition scene, explaining to Hal and the viewers what are the Green Lanterns.
  • When the Green Lantern symbol is displayed in space, switched to the symbol on Hal new suit.
  • During the Tomar-Re introduction scene, removed all questions from Hal.
  • Hal's supposed to known a lot of those things from the indoctrination process, Tomar-Re explains them for the viewers.
  • After Tomar-Re invitation to fly, Hal successfully and proudly flies at first try.
  • After flying above the central battery, switched to Tomar-Re, Kilowog and Sinestro training Hal.
  • It never made sense to me seeing Sinestro announcing an assault against Parallax and afterward taking time to train Hal.
  • Removed Hal being really afraid and telling them the ring made a mistake choosing him.
  • After Sinestro wins against Hal, switched to Hal and Tomar-Re going to Sinestro speech.
  • During their travel to this speech, added a new and more dramatic music about Hal contemplating the difficulty of his role.
  • After the Green Lanterns brighten their ring, switched to Hal returning to earth.
  • Removed Hal removing his ring, he simply reflects on being a Green Lantern.
  • Shortened the class introduction scene and removed the cliché Class dismissed dialogue before Hector leaves his class.
  • Removed Hector message from his father and the subsequent scene, I like Tim Robbins but he's really bad in this movie.
  • Removed the part where Sinestro tells the Guardians they must forge a yellow ring.
  • Shortened the party introduction scene, starting with Hal grabbing a glass.
  • Removed the scene between Hector and Carol, and subsequent scene between Hector and his father.
  • Removed Hector father saluting the crowd, going to Hector crashing the helicopter.
  • Removed the helicopter going toward Carol father, it should have cut this head off.
  • Removed Carol reaction shot of Hal flying away after the rescue.
  • Removed Hal waking up, switching directly to his friend knocking on the door.
  • Removed Hal failing to use the ring, switching directly to him charging the ring and suiting up.
  • Removed part of Hal reaction shot with his costume.
  • Removed Hal telling Carol he left the Green Lanterns and subsequent scene from Carol reacting to this.
  • Removed Hector waiting in his car and seeing Hal flying away.
  • Removed the cliché I don't know what you're talking about.
  • Removed the We know everything son dialog, going to a more surprise reaction from Hector.
  • Removed Hal remembering Tomar-Re telling him The ring never makes mistake, going straight to the ring alarm.
  • Removed Hector reading Hal mind about Carol reaction to Hal quitting the Green Lanterns.
  • Removed Hector shouting for nothing and then disappearing.
  • Removed the scene between Hal, Carol and his friend about yet again Hal telling is afraid and unworthy.
  • Removed the scene where Parallax tells Hector to eliminate Hal.
  • Removed everything about the completion of the yellow ring and using it against Parallax.
  • Removed Hal telling not to risk anymore lives and asking permission to fight for earth, that makes no sense to me.
  • Removed the supposed to be sad dialog of Hector's feeling about Carol and not seeing him the way he wants.
  • Removed Hector feeling sorry for himself being jealous of Hal.
  • Removed Hal tricking Hector and his subsequent stupid reactions.
  • Removed Hector being able to use the ring to punch a hole in the wall.
  • Removed the I lied repartee between Hector and Hal.
  • Removed Parallax telling Hector he failed him.
  • Shortened the discussion between Carol and Hector before the final fight.
  • Changed the reused shot of Sinestro lifting his arm in the air with a shot of the Guardians watching from their citadel.
  • Changed the really bad flying to space music with a new and way better music from one of the trailers.
  • Changed the first part of the end credits music with a new and way better music from one of the trailers.
  • Removed the middle scene of the end credits where Sinestro puts the yellow ring.

I like how you're general descriptions seem to make the movie more about those who do and do not give into fear, as opposed to "oh, some people are just MEANT to awesome, you fucking nerds!"

I do ask that you please, please, please, please, PLEASE cut out that horrible, offensive, STUPID joke Hal's friend makes about Abin Sur "proposing" to Hal with his ring. It's a dumb gay joke AND it pisses on the guy who Hal saw die right before his eyes!

I agree, it's not the best of line therefore, this line has now been removed.

Thanks for the comment!

bionicbob said:
Here's a good article about the original Green Lantern screenplay before it was tampered with by the Studio....

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2014/05/13/ten-best-unproduced-comic-book-movie-scripts-6-green-lantern

In my opinion, that version would have sucked just as much as the released one did. It still gets the character of Hal Jordan completely wrong. Quote from the article: "the adult Hal Jordan is introduced in the midst of his own flight for life as he desperately flees from the angry "MOTHERF**KING HUGE BOYFRIEND" (as named by the writers, sans the censorship) of a sexy lady he bedded the night before". Well, Hal Jordan is just nothing like that. He's an old-fashioned honorable, even square-ish guy, which is exactly the appeal of him and what made his team-up with best friend yet polar opposite Green Arrow in the classic O'Neil/Adams run so appealing. I have absolutely nothing against heroes sleeping around with girls with a boyfriend, but Hal is just not like that and wouldn't imagine him doing so more than I'd imagine Clark Kent, Steve Rogers, or Doc Savage instead. The released movie gave us Guy Gardner under the name of Hal Jordan, but this script would just give us the usual stock modern blockbuster hero.

While I agree neither screenplay is perfect, I think they get more right than wrong.

As for Hal Jordan's character, of DC's classic stalwart seven, Jordan has probably gone through more character tweeks over the decades than most others.

The old fashioned square jawed space cop of the sliver age and O'Neil/Adams run was slowly eroded/evolved through the 90s. The whole Emerald Dawn I and II, Doomsday and Emerald Twilight gave Jordan a lot of insecurities. Even the brilliant mini series BRAVE AND THE BOLD by Mark Waid, who worships the Silver Age, explored how Jordan was always in between jobs, without money and always dating a new girl during his career. And while Geoff Johns' Green Lantern Reborn, brought back many awesome sliver age elements, he also keep many of Jordan's emotional/commitment issues, not to mention playing up his Top Gun Maverick attitude at times.

I am not saying I agree or like all these newer elements to his character, but they exist and thus the character as portrayed in the original screenplay or in the final movie, is not completely misinterpreted.

I actually have a soft spot for the movie. Far from perfect, a rushed production job, studio interference, some very bad CGI, and a terrible score.... and yet, I will still pop in the dvd from time to time and find myself smiling and being entertained.... go figure. LOL! :)

Hal was treated like s**t during the 90s. The whole Parallax/turning into a villain/mass murderer thing is something I choose to ignore completely. It was pissing on the whole legacy of the character in a "this is a relic from the past, let's denigrate him so we can have modern, hip, angsty Kyle Rayner instead" way. Johns' run is better but still I wish he'd lose that Top Gun stuff. Some characters are meant to be that way, some characters aren't. Captain America isn't, Captain Marvel isn't, and Hal Jordan isn't either. Maybe I'm getting old (which I am) but I like the Jordan that was quite square and in his adventures as a GL frequently encountered things that challenged that squareness.

Dwight Fry said:
Hal was treated like s**t during the 90s. The whole Parallax/turning into a villain/mass murderer thing is something I choose to ignore completely. It was pissing on the whole legacy of the character in a "this is a relic from the past, let's denigrate him so we can have modern, hip, angsty Kyle Rayner instead" way. Johns' run is better but still I wish he'd lose that Top Gun stuff. Some characters are meant to be that way, some characters aren't. Captain America isn't, Captain Marvel isn't, and Hal Jordan isn't either. Maybe I'm getting old (which I am) but I like the Jordan that was quite square and in his adventures as a GL frequently encountered things that challenged that squareness.

I agree with you 110% Dwight. We are brothers of another comic book age.... LOL!

Probably why I find the NuDC52 completely uninteresting. It seems more focused on Big Events than character. And what character development there is so "modernized" I hardly recognize many of childhood faves anymore....

Yep, I definitely suffer from Grumpy Old Fanboy Syndrome. :p lol

bionicbob said:
Here's a good article about the original Green Lantern screenplay before it was tampered with by the Studio....

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2014/05/13/ten-best-unproduced-comic-book-movie-scripts-6-green-lantern

That was a really interesting read, thank you!!

From my point of view, the original script was not overly different from the final product but there's some things which seems to be much better:

• Hector seems to be a more interesting and formidable character.
  • The first heroic sequence of Hal being a Green Lantern seems to be interesting and grander.
  • It's a little bit classic but I like seeing Hal and Hector doing their good and evil things.
  • The first confrontation between Hal and Hector seems again to be interesting and grander.
  • Hal's plan to destroy Parallax is not bad and demonstrate his tactical thinking.
  • Hector is now the final fight and seems yet again to be interesting and grander.

I don't know why but in the script rewrites, they've downsized heroic events and confrontations and it shows in the movie we got... Now for things which seems to be worse or as worse:

• Some stupid comments in the script which I hope was not representative of the script style
  • They chose to keep the major thing that severly bugged me, which is Hal refusing to accept and embrace being a Green Lantern, always doubting himself...
  • I don't understand why they need to build a yellow ring when they already captured Parallax. They were able to imprison him for a long time before...
  • The power of love recharging the ring... Well I don't lnow about that one.
  • I'm ambivalent about Alan Scott. On one side, it's a cool cameo. On the other side, it remove something special about Hal being the first earthling Green Lantern...

bionicbob said:
I agree with you 110% Dwight. We are brothers of another comic book age.... LOL!

Probably why I find the NuDC52 completely uninteresting. It seems more focused on Big Events than character. And what character development there is so "modernized" I hardly recognize many of childhood faves anymore....

Yep, I definitely suffer from Grumpy Old Fanboy Syndrome. :p lol

Sign me up for the Grumpy Old Fanboy Syndrome Anonymous club. Would agree bout the Nu52. Most of Batman stuff I've read has been good. Superman, however, I am unable to read. There are some other titles as well that because of this new 'modernization' it has stripped many characters of what made them great to begin with.

On topic, looking forward to this edit. When I first saw Green Lantern, I hated it. It felt like the studio took something that they did not understand completely and tampered with it. I enjoyed Johns's run on Green Lantern (Rebirth up through Blackest Night at that point). He did a solid job. And I was pumped cause he was writing the script and story for the film. However, ultimately I left the theater not much into the film because of how much they had dropped the ball on it. This edit may help smooth out some of the edges and redeem Green Lantern a little bit.

Don't worry about the Nu52. In about five years they'll reboot it again, and some of the suppressed elements will come back. That's what DC has been consistently doing since 1985. Remember when they say that after the Crisis On Infinite Earths the whole multiverse thing would be gone for good? Every five or so years Batman knows or does not know who killed his parents, Krypton is the John Byrne version or the Silver Age version, and so on.

Very interesting, looking forward to it. I think you should delete the Sinestro goes evil plot and the post credits scene, since, well, there is no sequel coming. Ever.

Isn't that the saddest part of it all Masirmso? Mark Strong's performance as Sinestro was the best part of the movie.

revel911 said:
Isn't that the saddest part of it all Masirmso? Mark Strong's performance as Sinestro was the best part of the movie.

Now that's true, but I'm not saying delete Sinestro completely (which would be impossible story-wise). However the yellow power ring storyline is stupid in my opinion. The Guardians of Oa tell Sinestro about how one of their fellow Guardians fell to the dark fear side and turned into Parallax, yet Sinestro does the exact same thing by creating the yellow power ring. This doesn't work because there is no sequel coming (so it would be pointless for Sinestro to be evil in this fanedit as well). Plus it makes Sinestro look like an idiot.

The only way to make this story work is in the hands of Warner Bros. by making the Green Lantern movie a part of the DC Cinematic Universe and make Sinestro the villain of the upcoming "Justice League" (it's too early for Darkseid). But that would still make Sinestro look like an idiot. Plus WB wouldn't do that because, well, the movie sucked and they are afraid. They need to chill out, relax and admit they made a really bad movie, but they will still make it a part of the DC Cinematic Universe and make Hal Jordan bounce back. Come on, Marvel bounced back after Iron Man 2, so DC shouldn't be so afraid. I'm going way off track here LOL.

The point is, until Warner Bros. announces that the Green Lantern movie is a part of the DC Cinematic Universe and they will make Sinestro the villain of the upcoming "Justice League" or a Green Lantern sequel, and that they are going to bounce back Hal Jordan, the Sinestro going evil plot will always be pointless. WB wouldn't do that, so it's best for danoumartel to cut this storyline.

Two things I would love to see.

1. Have the beginning part of about the Planet Oa moved to a sequence after Hal wakes up at Oa ..... was the intro by Tomar-Re? If so, it would fit perfect. (Edit: IT is Tomar-Re, so this should be easy to do and help the movie quite nciely. Would be perfectly added rioght before Tomat-Re shows Hal JOrdan how to fly)
2. Move the sequence after that .... the one where Parallax almost kills Abin Sur and he flies to earth, to a flashback sequence when Hal meets Abin Sur

Masirimso17 said:
Now that's true, but I'm not saying delete Sinestro completely (which would be impossible story-wise). However the yellow power ring storyline is stupid in my opinion. The Guardians of Oa tell Sinestro about how one of their fellow Guardians fell to the dark fear side and turned into Parallax, yet Sinestro does the exact same thing by creating the yellow power ring. This doesn't work because there is no sequel coming (so it would be pointless for Sinestro to be evil in this fanedit as well). Plus it makes Sinestro look like an idiot.

The only way to make this story work is in the hands of Warner Bros. by making the Green Lantern movie a part of the DC Cinematic Universe and make Sinestro the villain of the upcoming "Justice League" (it's too early for Darkseid). But that would still make Sinestro look like an idiot. Plus WB wouldn't do that because, well, the movie sucked and they are afraid. They need to chill out, relax and admit they made a really bad movie, but they will still make it a part of the DC Cinematic Universe and make Hal Jordan bounce back. Come on, Marvel bounced back after Iron Man 2, so DC shouldn't be so afraid. I'm going way off track here LOL.

The point is, until Warner Bros. announces that the Green Lantern movie is a part of the DC Cinematic Universe and they will make Sinestro the villain of the upcoming "Justice League" or a Green Lantern sequel, and that they are going to bounce back Hal Jordan, the Sinestro going evil plot will always be pointless. WB wouldn't do that, so it's best for danoumartel to cut this storyline.

I agree entirely, but I do keep hearing the rumors that Mark Strong was not cast as Lex because they do want to do a partial reboot of GL (similar to Hulk) and keep his character, bringing in John Stewart. I think we would all be happy with that decision.

Masirimso17 said:

At this time, the yellow ring scene is there but I cut some dialogues from Sinestro where he basically tells "to hell with earth while we train with this...", he comes off as an asshole. But I left the scene there for two reasons: 1. Fear is the main theme of the movie. The Guardians are afraid to act and Sinestro is afraid to lose the Corps for the first time, especially after seeing is friends annihilated. 2. I like Hal speech with the Guardians which flows from this scene.

That being said, maybe there's a way I can keep Hal speech and remove the yellow ring part without having a weird curt. I don't know, I will check it out.

Thanks for you input.

revel911 said:
Two things I would love to see.
1. Have the beginning part of about the Planet Oa moved to a sequence after Hal wakes up at Oa ..... was the intro by Tomar-Re? If so, it would fit perfect. (Edit: IT is Tomar-Re, so this should be easy to do and help the movie quite nciely. Would be perfectly added rioght before Tomat-Re shows Hal JOrdan how to fly)
2. Move the sequence after that .... the one where Parallax almost kills Abin Sur and he flies to earth, to a flashback sequence when Hal meets Abin Sur

The exposition at the beginning of the movie has been moved during Hal indoctrination scene. Since this process involves accessing a knowledge base, I used this scene during the indoctrination so that the viewer undestrands the Green Lantern universe at the same time Hal does. I will post this scene shortly.

Anyone out there can help us identify the FONT used in the movie???

iqvz.jpg

3x0cv.jpg

:)

Back
Top Bottom