• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Col. Hutty Challenge

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Who was Col. Hutty?

Don’t know. He showed up one day, left reviews for 70 different fanedits (mostly Extended Editions) and like that, poof. He was gone.

What was the challenge?

njvc dared me to write 71 fanedit reviews in one day. Poof optional.

Why just focus on Col. Hutty? Weren’t there other guys who wrote more reviews in one day?

Yeah but I ain’t crazy enough to try and top Istvan6. That sock account left 204 reviews on May 24, 2009. But they were all just number ratings, no written reviews. I guess I chose Col. Hutty because he had a unique review style and was obsessed with Extended Editions. And he was a Colonel.

Here are the reviews, in the order I watched them. As a note, I’m not a fan of writing long reviews for fanedits. I much prefer a capsule summary.

1. Spider-Man 3 Darkness Within by ADigitalMan

Watched an AVI version, no idea if the editor made it. Quality was ok but it looked oddly cropped. There were some awkward cuts here and there but overall it was well done. This version is better than the theatrical but still makes me cringe.

A/V Quality - 8 (6 really but since this is possibly a bootleg AVI I don’t want to punish editor)
Editing - 9 visual, 7 audio
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 7 (original 6)

Recommended drink: Black and Tan

2. Kill Bill X by Remixed By Jorge

This is an old fanedit, so the DVD is pretty bad quality. Overall the editing was good but there were some awkward cuts. The story felt really off to me, maybe I’m just so used to the theatrical cuts. It felt a bit like “this happened, then this happened and oh yeah this happened”. Bravo for cutting out her daughter in the finale. That worked nicely.

A/V Quality - 6
Editing - 8
Narrative - 7
Enjoyment - 7 (original 9)

Recommended drink: PBR

3. Army of the Twelve Monkeys by Remixed By Jorge

The video quality was pretty bad, but it gave it an artistic aesthetic so I overlooked it quickly. I thought the added music was too loud. Video editing was fine.

I love Twelve Monkeys as it is and very much enjoyed this fanedit. There are some plot holes as other reviewers have pointed out but I wasn’t as bothered by them. It’s definitely more arthouse sci-fi here.

A/V Quality - 8
Editing - 10 video, 8 audio
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 9 (original 9)

Recommended drink: Pinot Blanc

4. Darkest City by Remixed By Jorge

Video quality was perfectly acceptable to me. Editing was seamless.

I love love love love Dark City. I had been hesitant to watch this edit for awhile because of that (also because KBM barely tells us anything about the changes he made). This improved version is great! I still prefer the Director’s Cut but this version is much stronger than the theatrical.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 10
Narrative - 9
Enjoyment - 9 (Director’s Cut 10)

Recommended drink: Pinot Noir

5. Austin Powers International Man of Mystery Extended Edition by ADigitalMan

Video quality is on par with retail DVD (which has not aged well). The deleted scenes were edited in with no issues.

I love this movie. The deleted scenes are quite hilarious really and I was happy to watch a funnier Austin Powers 1.

A/V Quality - 8
Editing - 10
Improvement - 9
Enjoyment - 10 (original 10)

Recommended drink: Guinness

6. Austin Powers The Spy Who Shagged Me Extended Edition by ADigitalMan

Video quality was as good as the retail DVD. Editing was seamless.

The deleted scenes for this one weren’t as great and the movie dragged on a bit. If you like Austin Powers 2 you’ll most likely enjoy this one.

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 10
Improvement - 8
Enjoyment - 8 (original 8)

Recommended drink: Mud Slide

7. Austin Powers in Goldmember Extended Edition by ADigitalMan

Video quality was as good as the retail DVD. Editing was good for the most part. A lot of funny deleted scenes (and some tedious ones). Funny movie is funnier.

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 9
Improvement - 9

Recommended drink: Heineken

8. Memento Mori by Remixed by Jorge

This is an old fanedit so video quality isn’t the best. But it really didn’t bother me. The editing was superb, if I hadn’t seen the original many times I wouldn’t have been able to tell where the cuts were. (I didn’t notice A/V sync issues but I wasn’t paying attention to that.)

As for the narrative, yeah it sucks in chronological order. But it’s an interesting way of rewatching it. I tried watching the Easter Egg chrono version on Disc 2 of the DVD but because of the bad branching options I never got all the way through it. I’m glad Jorge took the time to make this one.

A/V Quality - 8
Editing - 10
Narrative - 7
Enjoyment - 9 (original 10)

Recommended Drink: Gin (straight)

9. Episode I - Phantom Edit Redux by Modernknife

Phantom Menace DVD is horrible quality, this is worse. Editing was good, no noticeable cuts. There were no subtitles for alien dialogue, don’t know if this was creative decision or an error.

Movie still sucks, that’ll probably never change. It’s less dumb than the theatrical and tighter pacing overall.

A/V Quality - 5
Editing - 9
Narrative - 7
Enjoyment - 7 (original is 2)

Recommended drink: Vodka Redbull

10. Episode II.I - Attack of the Phantom by The Phantom Editor

Old fanedit, quality is bad. Editing was good. Movie was still bad, but much better than the theatrical. The commentary was better than the first one, but the amount of “film school douchebaggery” was annoying to me. Bonuses and easter eggs were both cool and lame.

A/V Quality - 6
Editing - 9
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 7 (original is 5)

Recommended drink: Jagerbombs

11. Episode III - Dark Force Rising by kerr

DVD was great quality. Editing was smooth but some of the audio felt unbalanced at times. It could have been my 2.0 setup, sometimes the sound would drop down dramatically and then back up like as if the music was cut from the front channels abruptly but kept in the rear.

This was a pretty excellent Episode 3 edit. Only complaint I have is that the first half felt off narratively, it’s mainly a problem of the source movie though.

Emperor reveal was remarkable. That scene is now canon for me. I have officially forgotten how it happened in the theatrical.

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 10 visual, 8 audio
Narrative - 9
Enjoyment - 9 (original is 6)

Recommended drink: Irish Coffee

12. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery - Sanitized by TV’s Frink

I watched the HD MKV. Picture quality was excellent. I also heard the echoey sounds in Dr. Evil’s lair and they bugged me (knocking points on A/V Quality). Editing was as smooth as Dougie’s bald head. The cuts worked well, awesome funny movie is still funny as hell.

A/V Quality - 8
Editing - 10
Narrative - 9

Recommended drink: Cosmo

(NOTE: Supposedly the editor has fixed the echo issues but I haven’t downloaded the V2 yet. If I ever check it out I’ll change the rating.)

13. Azazel by CBB

This was a great edit! I only watched Fallen once years ago and didn’t refamiliarize myself. Editing here was seamless, I couldn’t tell what had been cut. The story works well and I enjoyed it much more this time around than I remember when I watched the original.

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 10
Narrative - 9
Enjoyment - 9 (original 8)

Recommended drink: Bourbon and ginger ale

14. Starship Troopers RAW by voodl

This was an interesting fanedit. Starship Troopers is such a great guilty pleasure movie for me, I thought it was terrible when I first saw it but as I got older I understood satire better and now I think it’s pretty brilliant. But with this edit, it takes away everything that was brilliant. It’s a terrible terrible movie now. Narratively speaking, it’s a piece of shit. Entertainment-wise it’s still a whole hell of a lot of fun to watch. (Not quite on par with Saving Private Ryan, I must say.)

AV Quality - 8
Editing - 9 visual, 8 audio
Narrative - 5
Enjoyment - 8 (original 9)

Recommended drink: Moonshine

15. Vincent & Butch by CBB

Overall this was a really neat edit. I love Pulp Fiction and blah blah blah. The concept of breaking it up into two movies is inspired yet it lacks a certain X Factor. Narratively it’s a bit of a mess. The Vincent movie has the big finale right in the middle and when you get to Mia’s story it feels like overkill. But both parts tell a complete story and end satisfactorily. Technically it’s a good edit, quality isn’t too great but the editing is solid.

If you love Pulp Fiction and feel like changing things up the next time you watch it I recommend checking this out.

A/V Quality - 7
Editing - 10 visual, 9 audio
Narrative - 7
Enjoyment - 8 (original is 10)

Recommended drink: Bourbon and milkshake

16. Fear and Loathing in the Holiday Special by TM2YC

Well this is pretty much exactly what it sets out to be--all the crazy shit from the Holiday Special mashed together incoherently. And it’s wonderful.

A/V Quality - 8
Editing - 10
Narrative - uh... a 7 I guess
Enjoyment - 8 (original 6ish)

Recommended drink: Kashyyyk ale

17. Blood Beach - Extended and Uncut by Tranzor

Nicely done version here with all the gore shots re-instated. Video quality was fine for me, brought me back to the days of VHS. The added footage doesn’t really affect the movie but it was nice to have more blood.

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 9
Improvement - 7

Recommended drink: Bloody Mary

18. Hancock: Tonight, He Comes by Adabisi

Pretty good edit. Hancock was a mixed bag - great premise, starts out well enough, some funny stuff, turns to shit fast but still holds your attention. This edit doesn’t entirely fix the movie but it’s much better than what it was. The handling of the last third was well done but left something to be desired.

A/V Quality - 7
Editing - 9
Narrative - 7
Enjoyment - 8 (original 7)

Recommended drink: MD 20-20

19. Insomnia [Memento Mori Edition] by Stankpac

I had been hesitant to watch this fanedit as I love Insomnia - I’ve watched it probably as many times as I’ve watched Memento - and I didn’t think the Mementomix aspect of this edit would work. So I viewed as Stankpak intended, an alternate cut as a bonus on Disc 2. Doing so made me enjoy it more than if I viewed it as a theatrical film in its own right. The narrative is a mess and the non-chronological timeline doesn’t work, it could have worked but it felt slapped together. Others have mentioned editing flaws in the transitions and I dig that Memento had a lot of abrupt cutting and overuse of fades but some of the work here was sloppy.

All that being said I was still able to enjoy watching this. It made me think about the movie and analyze the little things more.

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 5
Narrative - 5

Recommended drink: Gin and tonic

20. Fight Club - “I Am Jack’s Laryngitis” Edition by Zach Action

I was absolutely amazed how well this worked. The narration is so ingrained into this movie and yet when it’s gone it makes things... weirder and stronger. Theatrical Fight Club is still superior but any Fight Club fan needs to see this fanedit.

The editing was smooth overall but sometimes it got really noticeable when the center channel would go out. A lot of these awkward silences helped the scene though so no big deal.

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 9
Narrative - 10

Recommended drink: Generic beer

21. Raiding the Lost Ark by Jambe Davdar

Jamie Benning has created another wonderful in-depth look at a modern classic. Highly recommended.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 10
Narrative - 9

Recommended drink: Whisky neat

22. Raiders of the Krystal Skull by Remixed by Jorge

Most of my thoughts on this edit have been expressed by earlier reviewers. Overall the film felt too fast for my tastes but I enjoyed it more or less. The opening news reel was odd, there was little to no character development, action scenes were much better, skull spell effect was sweet, ending was a bit ludicrous.

Quality was fine, editing was ok, narrative was a mess and it was only marginally more enjoyable for me than the theatrical cut.

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 8
Narrative - 5
Enjoyment - 6 (original 4)

Recommended drink: Russian Standard vodka

23. Heat - The Action Re-Cut by CBB

I had avoided watching this edit for a while because I love Heat so much. Every time I watch it I’m enthralled. I don’t care about the runtime and I get sucked into the world. Why would I want to see an action movie that “contains about no drama” when I can just watch good ole Heat? I decided to give it a go and I was semi-surprised by the results. In no way is this fanedit superior to Heat (opinion) but the condensed version works pretty well. It’s kind of like watching a higher budget “LA Takedown” with a better script. But I found myself getting bored easily, I guess I just like drama.

I watched the “lives” ending... I really hate title cards that tie up all the loose ends. I watched “dies” on it’s own and highly recommend that ending.

The editing was fantastic, I couldn’t tell where anything was cut. It’s an older fanedit DVD so don’t expect HD quality.

If you don’t want to watch a 3 hour crime epic and you prefer a taut 2 hour crime thriller check this one out.

A/V Quality - 8
Editing - 10
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 7 (original is 9)

Recommended drink: Scotch and soda

24. Matrix De-ZIONized by CBB

Without going into it too much let me just say I was never a Matrix fan. #1 was a sweet movie but I wasn’t crazy about it. 2 & 3 sucked hard and every time I watch them I promptly forget everything I saw.The only other Matrix fanedit I’ve watched is Geminigod’s and I thought it was pretty damn good (although I do have a bit of amnesia on that one as well, I just can’t retain memories of Matrix sequels). This edit wasn’t near as good as I hoped it would be, these movies are still painful as hell and full of dumbassery. The 2-in-1 approach didn’t work, it felt like 2 shortened movies. Quality was fine, editing-wise there were some bad transitions and whatever.

A/V Quality - 9
Narrative - 6
Enjoyment - 6 (originals are 5)

Recommended drink: Hpnotiq and 7-Up

25. Pearl Harbor: Strength and Honor Edition by ADigitalMan

I watched Pearl Harbor once and forgot most of it. It was really boring, then some action, then boring. Now it’s boring, action, boring - at least it’s an improvement. Editing was solid. My dad would probably enjoy this one.

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 10
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 7 (original 6)

Recommended drink: Rum and mango juice

26. Star Wars 30’s Serial Edition Part 1 by TMBTM

Overall thoughts: Great concept but I didn’t like the clean look of them (I’m sure I’d enjoy the Dusty versions more). Editing was great, stories were streamlined well. Only major nitpick is I didn’t like the design and font/kerning for the dialog cards.

Movie specific thoughts: Phantom Menace was still stupid and boring. Attack of the Clones was pretty damn good! ROTS was a little boring but good overall.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 10
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 7 (originals are a 4 collectively)

Recommended drink: Gordon’s Distilled Dry Gin

27. Star Wars 30’s Serial Edition Part 2 by TMBTM

Very skillfully made edit, the stories are condensed nicely and I enjoyed watching them.

A/V Quality - 10
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 9 (originals are 10-10-8)

Recommended drink: Old Forester bourbon

28. Miami Vice (Go-Fast Edition) by geKKo

I was very disappointed by Miami Vice and unfortunately this fanedit couldn’t make it up to me. The editing was solid and the pacing was better, but it’s still an incredibly boring movie for me and my tastes.

A/V Quality - 8
Editing - 10
Narrative - 8

Recommended drink: Bacardi Mojito

29. Sopranos: Season One (Parts 1 and 2) by Horace

Overall this was an enjoyable way of rewatching Season One, but it was way too long (6 hours). There’s a lot that could have been cut to make a tighter 3 hr “movie”. But if you’re a fan of Sopranos and don’t want to spend 11 hours rewatching the first season you’ll probably enjoy this.

Big mark down on A/V Quality. This was released as a 4:3 .divx file with MP3 audio. It looked ok once I fixed all my settings to compensate for it. (The DVD was offline.) The editing was good, nothing stood out as jarring or abrupt, but it should have been cut down more.

A/V Quality - 5
Editing - 8
Narrative - 7

Recommended drink: Rolling Rock

30. Year One by Jack Tourette

This was a nice little Bruce Wayne story. I wouldn’t have called it “Year One” but that’s really the only complaint I have with it.

A/V Quality - 8
Editing - 10
Narrative - 9
Enjoyment - 8

Recommended drink: Rogue Ale

31. Batman Triumphant by Jack Tourette

Another enjoyable little Batman story here. The editing was good, three different plotlines back-to-back to tell a short yet sprawling story.

A/V Quality - 7
Editing - 10
Narrative - 7
Enjoyment - 8

Recommended drink: 21st Amendment Bitter American Ale

32. Batman Beyond by Jack Tourette

I was never a fan of Batman Beyond but this was a nicely done edit.

A/V Quality - 8
Editing - 10
Narrative - 9
Enjoyment - 7

Recommended drink: Bass Ale

33. LOST II - Numbers by Radzinsky

Very solid Part II in Radzinsky’s LOST series. The pacing was excellent, moving swiftly but stopping to give the audience time to take it in. I would have liked to have seen a little more in the flashback department but what was shown was sufficient for this story. Quality was great but I watched on phone so I don’t know how it will look on your ultraslick 3D TV.

No audio issues at all on my end.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 8 video, 10 audio
Narrative - 9

Recommended drink: DHARMA beer

34. Species X by Mollo

I quite enjoyed this edit, it felt fresh and full of energy. Most of the added material was well done but the ending was disjointed. I can't really blame him too much because he worked with what he had. It didn't feel natural but it worked fine for me.

A/V Quality - 8
Editing - 8
Narrative - 7
Enjoyment - 7 (original 7)

Recommended drink: Redheaded slut

35. M. Night Shyamalan's Horrifying Hours by Q2

Well these movies can't be fixed but that wasn't the point. If you like Shyamalan’s films you'll get a kick out of this. The b&w looked great and the editing was top notch.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 10
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 7 (originals 5)

Recommended drink: Hidden Nightmare (Everclear, rum, Jager, etc.)

36. V for Vendetta Fanedit by Mollo

There were some rough transitions and awkward fades but nothing too bad. The new intro works well but I wasn’t crazy about the other montages. It’s been a bit since I’ve watched this movie so I can’t remember all that was cut. There were times when I felt like I had missed something and the pacing felt off, especially in Part One. But once we got into Part Two it was smooth sailing.

Overall it was an interesting watch, very artistic and different.

A/V Quality - 7
Editing - 9
Narrative - 8

Recommended drink: November Rain (Bacardi, Jack & fruit punch)

37. (Mobile Suit Gundam Wing) Locus of Victory and Defeat - Extended Edition by Mark Moore

Fanedit was good, commentary was excellent.

A/V Quality - 8
Editing - 10
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 10

Recommended drink: Pomegranate Martini

38. Dream Maniac by TM Productions

Hey all right this was a pretty enjoyable little flick. The VHS look and cropping felt unnaturally added but it was well done overall. Audio editing was pretty good, some choppy stuff here or there but nothing terrible. Movie was less painful and dare I say I enjoyed it.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 7 visual, 8 audio
Narrative - 9
Enjoyment - 9

Recommended drink: Duke’s Nightmare (2 oz Jack, 2 oz Cuervo)

39. Hulk Smashed by Remixed by Jorge

Still a pretty horrible movie. At times I liked the added “Banner Journals” but it was annoying mostly.

A/V Quality - 9
Narrative - 7

Recommended drink: Poco Loko Mango flavor

40. Duel Remixed by Remixed by Jorge

I first saw Duel a month ago and I enjoyed it but I got bored with it too easily. Enter Jorge. His remixed version is leaner and meaner. I was very impressed with the 2.35 aspect change and the editing was invisible. The best Remixed by Jorge edit I’ve seen.

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 10
Narrative - 9
Enjoyment - 9 (original 7)

Recommended drink: Anything with a chaser

41. Star Wars - Episode I: A Vergence in the Force by ADigitalMan

Man he barely cut anything. Sure some of the most offensive things are gone (midichlorians, poop, etc.) but there is still so much pain to be had watching this. Tech side was solid.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 10
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 3 (original 2)

Recommended drink: Mike’s Hard Lemonade (Black Cherry)

42. Star Wars - Episode II: Path to the Darkside by ADigitalMan

Pretty horrible movie, why u no cut more out? New dream scene was a unique dafuq moment.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 7 visual, 9 audio
Narrative - 5
Enjoyment -  5 (original is 5)

Recommended drink: Mike’s Hard Blood Orange

43. Star Wars - Episode II.V: The Clone Wars by ADigitalMan

I really enjoyed the 2003 Clone Wars cartoons so it naturally follows that I enjoyed this edit. There isn’t much editing done here, just putting all the shorts together on one disc, new crawl, deleted one scene. I felt a little more editing should have been done to tighten things up here and there but that’s a minor complaint. Not gonna give really high marks for editing because there were only like 3 cuts.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 7
Narrative - 9

Recommended drink: Mike’s Hard Punch (Mango)

44. Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith by ADigitalMan

This was worse than the theatrical. 2x play speed strongly suggested.

A/V Quality - 10
Narrative - 5
Enjoyment - 3 (original 6)

Recommended drink: Mike’s Harder Lemonade (Blueberry)

45. Star Wars - Episode IV: 2004 Special Edition Revisited (Purist Edition) by Adywan

Oh yeah if you didn’t know, this has an IFDB page now.

This was good stuff man. I’m a fan of ANHR so it follows that I verily enjoyed this. Editing was top notch. As far as the changes specific to the Purist Edition… I enjoyed the way the Obi-Wan Hut scene was edited in ANHR more. And I couldn’t tell what the other changes were, I ain’t that hardcore into this movie. So I prefer good ol’ Revisited. But honestly I could pop in either version and it’s 1:1 the same enjoyment.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 10
Narrative - 10
Enjoyment - 10 (OUT 10, SE 7)

Recommended drink: Fat Tire (Amber Ale)

46. Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (The ADigitalMan Special Edition) by ADigitalMan

Well this was pretty simple and the results were pleasant. Not much changed from the 2004 DVD but this is far superior to that cut.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 8
Narrative - 10
Enjoyment - 10 (OUT 10, SE 9)

Recommended drink: Abbey (Belgian Style Ale)

47. Star Wars - Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - A Q2 Fanedit by Q2

1080 MKV looked great. Audio sounded good, glad it was included. Overall this was a good edit, my go-to ROTJ.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 10 visual, 8 audio
Narrative - 9
Enjoyment - 9 (OUT 9, SE 7)

Recommended drink: Shift (Pale Lager)

48. Under Construction by Adabisi

Jesus Christ I just watched 15 ½ hours of Star Wars fanedits. I need to watch Michael Douglas go fucking crazy.

*71 minutes later*

Sweet.

A/V Quality - 8
Editing - 10
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 10 (original 9)

Recommended drink: Raging Demon

49. Blade Runner 2008 Extended Edition by ADigitalMan

I hate the voice-overs from the Theatrical Cut but I decided to watch this edit with ADM’s preferred audio track. Other than the VOs I highly enjoyed this edit. Director’s Cut is still preferred version.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 10
Improvement - 9
Enjoyment - 8 (Director’s Cut 10, Theatrical 8)

Recommended drink: Johnny Walker Black

50. True Lies - Straight Faced Edition by Elbarto1

Another damn good elbarto fanedit!

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 10
Narrative - 9
Enjoyment - 10 (original 8)

Recommended drink: Screwdriver

51. Up in the Air Extended Edition by Elbarto1

I wasn’t too big a fan of Up in the Air, but L8wrtr swore that this EE made it much better. I quite liked the deleted scenes, especially “To Know Me Is To Fly With Me”. The main character arc is much stronger now but I’m still not crazy about it as a whole.

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 10
Improvement - 9

Recommended drink: Tequila and apple juice

52. Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair by Dr. Sapirstein

Awesome.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 10
Improvement - 10

Recommended drink: Vodka and Sobe aka Sove

53. Trailer Park Boys The Bigger & Dirtier Greasy Horrorshow Edition by Stomachworm

What a greasy horrorshow.

A/V Quality - 7
Editing - 8
Improvement - 8

Recommended drink: Rum and coke

54. The Hobbit: There and Back Again, Part 1 by menbailee

This was a good edit. I quite liked The Hobbit AUJ when I first saw it but the second time was really bored and saw a lot of flaws. This didn’t “fix” everything for me but it was much more enjoyable.

A/V Quality - 9
Narrative - 8

Recommended drink: A little beer and some cake – seed-cake if you have any.

55. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Covenant Edition by TM2YC

Good fanedit. Quality was great. Editing overall was good but a little sloppy at times. Could have spent more time on some things, such as the opening shot transitions. Color correction is pretty damn solid, great work on that. Movie is much more bearable. Recommended.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 8 visual, 10 audio
Narrative - 7
Enjoyment - 7 (original 4)

Recommended drink: Popov vodka, Brita filtered 3x

56. Star Trek 5 “This Other Eden” by BionicBob

A much improved Star Trek 5. I’ve only seen Trek V once so I wasn’t completely certain of everything cut but it flowed a lot smoother this time. I wasn’t a big fan of the commercial breaks, even though they didn’t bother me in earlier BB Trek edits. Editing was good but some things felt odd (don’t ask me what, I’m a terrible reviewer).

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 8 visual, 8 audio
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 8 (original 6)

Recommended drink: Romulan Ale

57. Star Trek 6 “The Khitomer Conspiracy” by BionicBob

A worthy finish to BionicBob’s Trek edits. I wasn’t a fan of Undiscovered Country and the changes here worked quite well.

A/V Quality - 9
Narrative - 8

Recommended drink: Synthehol

58. Star Wars Bounty Hunter Beyond the Game 2.0 by Galactus, MoveAlong & ThrowgnCpr

I never played Bounty Hunter but I’m a big fan of watching others play video games, so this was right up my alley. Turns out this was a nice little game. I’m glad they went through the work to make this fanedit. And man what a package, 2 cuts of the edit (I preferred Purist) and an asston of bonuses. And ThrowgnCpr continues to impress me with his boss menus.

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 9
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 10

Recommended drink: Lemon vodka with Lime & Cucumber Gatorade with a splash of lemon juice

59. Superman Returned by Tomahawk

This was a great edit. I find Returns to be boring when I rewatch it and this flowed much better and kept me interested. Nicely done editing.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 10
Narrative - 8

Recommended drink: Green Kryptonite (melon liqueur & vodka)

60. Robots VS Kung Fu by matrixgrindhouse

This was such an amazing edit! Serious skills on hand with you man. I'm so glad I bumped your thread and tagged you that one night.

Excellent A/V quality, damaged effects worked really well. Multiple sources are smoothly mushed together without leaving too many traces. Of course there are intentional errors, which adds to the pleasure.  It's obvious a ton of work went into this. There were many moments I marveled at the sound editing; the music, rebuilt sound effects, dialogue mashing, etc. Some of the intentional abrupt or awkward cuts didn't work for me though but nothing major. Nicely done with all the added footage. Really made this a unique version without going too nuts on it.

I had a blast with this. Not everything worked for me but all the genius moments outweighed those easily. I sampled the commentary and will definitely give that a listen, and damn look at that a second disc with goodies! Highly highly recommended.

A/V Quality - 10
Narrative - 9

Recommended drink:  Absinthe

61. American History reXamined by Adabisi

This was a nice edit, I love the original. Quality wasn’t too great since it’s an old AVI. Editing was ok, some of the fades were sloppy. Overall it was interesting to watch it this way but I doubt I’ll watch again.

A/V Quality - 7
Editing - 8
Narrative - 7

Recommended drink: Appletini

62. Mad Max: Get to the Point Edit by Tranzor

This is an older edit so the quality wasn’t too great. I enjoy the theatrical cut better.

A/V Quality - 7
Editing - 8
Narrative - 6
Enjoyment - 7 (original 8)

Recommended drink: Redoak Baltic Porter

63. Happy Valentines Day by Tranzor

Good fanedit, still a lackluster film.

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 9
Narrative - 7
Enjoyment - 6 (original 6)

Recommended drink: Egalite wine

64. Sin City - Recut Unrated Extended Theatrical Cut by LeoneNut

This was a simple edit but I’m glad it was done. I enjoy the additions in the Extended version but hate watching it in segments. A worthy alternative to the Theatrical Cut.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 9
Improvement - 9

Recommended drink: A shot and a brew (and keep ‘em coming)

65. The Mummy: Year of the Scorpion by Gaith

I don’t have enough to say about this movie to write an essay. I saw it once in the theaters and all I remember is the horrible CGI and parts of the finale set piece. This edit was a good little flick, intentionally cheesy without being too terrible, some fun action, good lines, etc. Title cards were a nice gimmick. There were quite a few jarring audio cuts.

If you’re a fan of the first movie I think you’ll enjoy this edit.

A/V Quality - 8
Editing - 8 visual, 5 audio
Narrative - 8
Enjoyment - 7 (original 5)

Recommended drink: Dandy Shandy

66. Bateman Begins by Adabisi

I’m torn on this edit. I’ll get the obvious out of the way; old fanedit, bad tech ratings. Now the tricky part.

I knew this was going to be a goofy “what if” type story so I didn’t expect a coherent narrative that felt like a “real” movie. I enjoyed it a lot, the overall concept worked (to a degree) but the Batman angle felt totally out of place. The third act was nicely done. It would have been much more effective as a 30-40 minute short.

A/V Quality - 7
Editing - 7
Narrative - 6
Enjoyment - 8 (originals: American Psycho 10, Batman Begins 8, Machinist 9)

Recommended drink: Tequila and Mountain Dew

67. Killing a Chinese Bookie by Gatos

I watched the director’s cut once many years ago, never saw the theatrical. I really enjoyed Gatos’ take on the material, much better pacing and held my attention better. Editing was pretty smooth.

A/V Quality - 10
Narrative - 8

Recommended drink: Dirty Martini

68. Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace Extended Edition by ADigitalMan

The horror… the horror.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 10
Improvement - 1
Enjoyment - 1 (original 2)

Recommended drink: Jack Daniels Honey Liqueur

69. Star Wars - Episode II: Attack of the Clones Extended Edition by ADigitalMan

What’s wrong with me? Why did I watch this?

A/V Quality - 10
Improvement - 1
Enjoyment - 1 (original 5)

Recommended drink: Bacardi 151

70. Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith Extended Edition by ADigitalMan

Why did I think this was a good idea?

A/V Quality - 9
Editing - 10
Improvement - 1
Enjoyment - 1 (original 6)

Recommended drink: Rum and apple juice

71. Eyes Wide Shut Fidelio Edition by Gatos

Hey all right let’s finish this off with Kubrick’s Swan Song. And this review is going to be a little longer than normal.

REVIEW
(MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!)
(None of these comments are meant as a personal attack on the editor. These simply are my opinions on the edit and are meant as feedback and constructive criticism.)

Big Kubrick fan here and I have a roller-coaster relationship with Eyes Wide Shut. Excited and confused when I saw it in the theaters, bored by it on first handful of repeat viewings, saw the themes better and grew to like it, still get annoyed by it. And I’m a Gatos fan, love his work, so I was excited to hear of this edit. I watched his workprint way back when and to be honest I wasn’t thrilled with it, but I didn’t know why and I gave lousy feedback. I guess I’m trying to make up for it, albeit a year too late.

I watched the final version of this when Gatos released it and I wanted to let it breathe for a bit before I rewatched the original. Then I watched Fidelio one more time. I’m going to break down some of the differences in the themes, characters, plot, etc. to illustrate how effective (or not) Gatos’ changes are.

-- Bill

Theatrical – Rich doctor. Naïve, boyish, horny, unable to go through with cheating on his wife but keeps trying. In the end comes clean. Character is underwritten and over acted.

Fidelio – More casual, just a horny guy married to Nicole Kidman. Less dumb.

-- Alice

Theatrical – Rich housewife. Faithful, jealous, both proud and ashamed of her fantasies.

Fidelio – She kind of just sits around the whole movie. It’s a shame but I understood why. I agree with what an earlier reviewer said, “(Alice) is nothing more than Bill's trophy, just like Milich's daughter… They are all symbolic prostitutes (is Bill and Alice's daughter on the same path?).”

-- Marriage

Theatrical – A lot has been said about this and it’s written much better than what I can do here.

Fidelio – Gatos excises the focus on marriage to amp up the mystery of the plot. This hooks the viewer earlier and gets you in and out in just over 90 minutes.

-- Sex

Theatrical – Men are dirty, cheating, lousy horndogs, except for Nightingale (although I’m sure Mrs. Nick doesn’t know about his Somerton gigs). Women are either whores or innocent little girls. This movie is filled with the scent of sex.

Nudity is all around Bill. It’s as if Kubrick wanted to put in as much nudity as he could get away with. He wanted the audience to be titillated right off the bat and desensitized to it by the end. But never does it get too pornographic or revolting (unlike Clockwork Orange).

Fidelio – Gatos turns the knob from 11 down to around a 5. The only excised sex elements that I really missed were Bill’s visits to Domino. The story works absolutely fine without them but I liked that subplot.

It’s interesting to note that the first nudity is Mandy overdosed in the bathroom. This helps to set the tone and make the orgy feel more taboo or shocking.

-- The Inciting Incident

Theatrical - Clean cut Dr. Harford learns his wife’s shocking secret – one time she had a sexual fantasy about another man. This is the weakest element to the movie in my opinion. This fucking guy goes on a wild sexual journey all because he can’t admit he likes to fantasize about other women.

Fidelio – Bill’s out on the town and meets up with his old buddy who just happens to be on his way to an orgy. Instead of trying to get revenge on his wife, Bill’s just being a cheating husband. Definite improvement.

-- Pacing

Theatrical – Meandering. A lot of (forced) tension with an (intentionally) anti-climatic ending.

Fidelio – Oh my god this is so much better. Less lingering. Less whole lotta nothin. This is more of a slow-burn-no-resolution-thriller than a slow-as-molasses-blue-balls-drama.

-- Finale/Resolution

Theatrical – Ashamed with himself, Bill confesses to his wife. Their marriage isn’t over, but now instead of “making love” they “fuck.”

Fidelio – Cuts all that dumb shit out. Ends perfectly. Infidelity will always come back to haunt you.

In Summary:

Great editing, strong story telling. This is a must-see if you have a hard-on for Kubrick. Highly recommended for anybody that found Eyes Wide Shut dumb.

And great bonus videos. “I do want to have anonymous sex.” “You… want to have… anonymous sex?”

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 10
Narrative - 9 (original 7)
Enjoyment - 8  (original 8)

Recommended drink: Purple Hand beer

[Bonus Epilogue…]

If I had edited this, what would I have done different?

- Change title to “Sexual Encounters” or some such.

- Keep Szavost, imply that Alice has sex with him.

- Keep mirror scene but change the music. Add footage from “Malice” to show her fantasizing (or maybe remembering a past affair).

- Keep them smoking pot. But yeah cut all that dialogue, go straight from lighting up to the phone call.

- Keep Marion confessing her love to Bill. No sexual implication on this one, he rejects her because he knows her, it’s not the random encounter he craves.

- Keep Domino, imply sex, cut Alice calling.

- Keep Alice telling Bill about her dream.

- Cut down that 20 minute scene at Somerton gate the next day.

- Add Bill’s fantasy flashes during the kitchen scene. Her dream put them in his head and he uses it as an excuse to justify his own infidelity; “I’m sure she cheats on me so who cares what I do.” (Gatos, great work cutting all those fantasies scenes, respect.)

- Keep Bill returning to Domino’s.

- Trim the guy following Bill.

- Keep the ending the same as Fidelio.

- ??

- Profit

Figures:

Number of different editors - 37

ADigitalMan - 14
Remixed by Jorge - 7
Adabisi - 4
CBB - 4
Jack Tourette - 3
Tranzor - 3
BionicBob - 2
Elbarto1 - 2
Gatos - 2
Mollo - 2
Q2 - 2
TM2YC - 2
TMBTM - 2

Star Wars edits watched - 17
Prequels - 11
OT - 4
Other - 2

Austin Powers edits watched - 4
Batman edits watched - 4
Indiana Jones edits watched - 3
Star Trek edits watched - 2
Lord of the Rings edits watched - 1
Matrix edits watched - 1
Spider-Man edits watched - 1
Superman edits watched - 1
Alien edits watched - 0
Transformers edits watched - 0

Animated edits watched - 6 (16 if you count the Prequels)

Extended Editions watched - 12
Special Projects - 5
Shorts - 2
TV edits - 7

Spielberg edits watched - 4
Nolan edits - 3
Tarantino edits - 3
Michael Mann edits - 2
Michael Bay edits - 1
James Cameron edits - 1
Cassavettes edits - 1
Kubrick edits - 1
Shyamalan edits - 1
Scorsese edits - 0

Edits that received a 9.0 or above average - 20

Edits that received a 6.5 or below average - 8

Bonus review...

This edit was finished and uploaded to Info but the editor never submitted it to IFDB. It would have been #41.

LOST III - Acts by Radzinsky

This was excellent! The best of these edits so far. I absolutely loved Season 2 especially the second half. This condenses it perfectly without losing anything important. I especially enjoyed how Michael’s betrayal played out.

No audio issues at all on my end.

A/V Quality - 10
Editing - 9 visual, 10 audio 
Narrative - 10

Recommended drink: MacCutcheon Whiskey

When I saw the thread title I had to think for a second, "Did I start another challenge thread?" :lol: Glad my insanity can inspire others. :lol:

Awesome idea. Thanks for reviewing my AP edit. I do hope you check out v2, as some more confirmation of the fixed audio is always appreciated.

I saw the reviews and knew something was up. Great to see all this in one place and have stats. My one criticism would be that the writer left nothing to the imagination. I'm a fan of the col. hutty legend, and I see where the writer was going with his challenge, but it just isn't enigmatic enough for me.

Writing Quality - 10
Editing - 7 (what is that, eight posts in a row? Was the proper font even used? Also, I'm sure there's a typo in there)
Narrative - 9

Recommended drink: water on the rocks (you're going to need a break from alcohol after all of this)

Hilarious thread! The drink recommendations are diverting. There was a short thread (started by Frink?) about Col. Hutty at one point. Did he ever post?

Neglify said:
And he was a Colonel.

Pff! That didn't impress me. :biggrin:

I don't think he ever posted. Now I gotta find this supposed Frink thread.

Unfortunately, there wasn't anything entertaining in the thread: it might even have been two posts long. It stuck in my memory because I was on the point of posting a similar thread when someone beat me to it. Boon posted in it and said that the staff had had some sort of staff meeting about col.hutty's reviews because some of his ratings were pretty harsh but they decided that he was entitled to his opinions. It's either that or I am going (even more) senile.

I have no memory of this.

Pfft. Necropost each review in each edit's respective True Fanedits thread and I might be impressed.

Congrats Neg, can't believe you not only took that challenge seriously, but actually pulled it off... All hail the undisputed king of IFDB

Back
Top Bottom