• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Scream - The Giallo Cut

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
scream1_front.jpg

Trailer:

Title: Scream – The Giallo Cut
Faneditor: Neglify
Original Movie Title: Scream
Genre: Horror
Fanedit Type: FanMix
Original Release Date: 1996
Original Running Time: 111 minutes
Fanedit Release Date: September 2012
Fanedit Running Time: 110 minutes
Time Cut: 6 minutes
Time Added: 5 minutes

Brief Synopsis:
After a series of mysterious deaths, a seemingly peaceful community becomes a place where no one is safe . . . and everyone is a suspect!

Directed by suspense master Wes Craven and with music by Italian progressive rock band Goblin, “Scream – The Giallo Cut” will leave you breathless.

Intention:
Scream – The Giallo Cut is a love letter to Italian horror cinema, Dario Argento, Goblin and the original Scream.

I never tried to make Scream feel like BLANK movie. Even though the primary music used was from Suspiria, I wasn’t trying to make the plot, dialogue, characters and events more like Suspiria. I'm not trying to change Scream from being Scream too much as I love that movie and think it is perfect how it is. Nor am I trying to replace Scream. I did see some opportunities to tone down the meta aspects of Scream but it’s still a horror film about people who know and love horror films.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER ABOUT THIS FANEDIT

This edit was sourced from the uncut VHS of Scream. This was done primarily as a throwback to the picture quality of Italian horror films from the 70s. It is intended to be watched on an older CRT television. Prepare yourself to see some ghosting artifacts, frame blending and static at the top and bottom of the frame. I highly suggest you watch the Opening Sequence clip before you download so you can see what you're in for.

If you watch it on an older TV the flaws don't show up as much in the picture. Older TVs will crop off the edges and reduce the static and the picture will look fairly crisp (for VHS standards). Newer TVs will pick up the flaws a lot more and leave you with a terrible picture.

Of course, you could manually set your HDTV to crop the picture to 16:9 to get rid of the static at the top and bottom, but then you'd be watching a cropped version of a cropped film. *evil laugh*

Hugs and kisses,
Neglify

Cut list:

General Cuts:

- Music by Goblin has been used throughout. Most of Beltrami's music has been either been removed or quieted. I tried to remove a lot of the dramatic STINGS, but a good amount remains. At some points music by Goblin and music by Beltrami play together, with Beltrami segueing into Goblin and then a healthy Beltrami/Goblin mix. Some audio cuts are intentionally abrupt, but nothing too terrible. Some parts are loud as shit and some parts are quiet. If this is gonna bother you, feel free to leave a negative rating.
- Flashbacks have been added showing Maureen's death. Some quick flashbacks show Maureen's slutty nature. The footage is mainly taken from giallo films of the 70s. Maureen's tits do not match. (I won't say exactly where footage has been added so that there's still some mystery I guess.)
- The uncut VHS is used. It is 1.33:1 and looks terrible. The top of the picture is all messed up and the bottom of the picture has static. There are natural interlacing issues that were a creative choice to keep. There are some ghosting artifacts due to it being a 15 year old VHS, but the editor has tried to minimize those as much as possible. This is intended to be watched on a tube TV. If you can't stand anything less than 1080p I urge you to watch this with your eyes taped open.
- The movie is rated NC-17! No children under 18 will be admitted.
- New opening title sequence. It looks like a 6 year old made it.
- Neve Campbell shows her tits, TWICE.

Specific cuts:

- VHS titles cards and a trailer added to beginning of the edit.
- Cut "would you settle for a PG-13 relationship?" But added some boobs.
- Cut "my name isn't Jesus."
- Cut "They got any more donuts in there?"
- Cut dialogue about cellular telephones between the Sheriff and Billy.
- Cut "He's my superior!" "A janitor's your superior."
- Red Right Hand by Nick Cave remains!
- Cut Linda Blair's cameo.
- Cut "Is your brain leaking?"
- Cut the stuck up bitches in the bathroom.
- Cut Stu's little air guitar move after inviting Sidney to his party. (Since some frames were cut in the Director’s Cut making it look awkward, I just cut the whole thing.)
- Wes Craven has no dialogue.
- Cut "You're starting to sound like a Wes Carpenter flick."
- Cut the discussion about who would play Sidney if they made a movie.
- Cut The Rules of Successfully Surviving A Horror Film.
- Cut the on-the-nose "Here comes the obligatory tit shot!" (And the other cutaways to the kids watching Halloween were omitted.)
- Added boobs to Billy & Sidney’s sex scene.
- Cut "Anthony Perkins, Psycho."
- Cut "The same stuff they used for pig's blood in Carrie."
- Cut Stu's shocked look when Billy tells Sidney his father was having an affair with Sidney's mother.
- Cut "You're no longer a virgin. Oops! I said virgin... Those are the rules." ("Now you gotta die" remains.)
- Cut Stu saying "I'll be right back."
- Cut "Right here, asshole."
- Cut "I never thought I'd be so happy to be a virgin."

Songs Cut/Added:

I don't know if there's any song I cut completely 100%. Most songs still play softly with new songs added on top of them. If you listen carefully you'll hear them, but if you just listen normally you won't notice (hopefully).

I added the song "The Naked and the Dead" by Andi Sex Gang.

Footage added from the following movies:

- Bird With the Crystal Plumage – 2 minutes, 21 seconds
- Emmanuelle In Space - One Last Fling – 23 seconds
- Strip Nude For Your Killer – 2 seconds
- The New York Ripper – 2 seconds
- I Really Hate My Job – 1 second
- Slaughter Hotel – 1 second

"OK, so… have I covered everything? Are there any questions, any comments?"

Special Thanks:

This edit was inspired by the works of Dario Argento, Mario Bava, Lucio Fulci, Umberto Lenzi, TMBTM, blueyoda, Tranzor and Rogue-theX.

I would like to thank the following people for their support, feedback & ideas: blueyoda, Frantic Canadian, Gatos, njvc, Sonny Baker, Dwight Fry, L8wrtr, TMBTM, Reave, g1orkatsos, juize4z0, Kal-El, TM Productions.

No thanks whatsoever to the Santa Rosa City School District Governing Board.

Release Information: NTSC DVD-5 (NOTE: DVD does not contain menus or chapters.)

Cover Art:

American cover by Neglify
scream1_3Dview.jpg

Italian cover by Rogue-theX
Scream_GialloCut_3dview.jpg

Preview Clip

congrats, bro! can't wait to see this.

been so long since i've seen the original that mnemonically speaking, i know i'm in for a treat.

Review:

Having completed his Noir Crime Trilogy, Neglify has since turned his attention to Horror - A genre that he is clearly in love with! First, we had Neg's take on Scream 4. Without doubt, that edit improved on the original, and showed a brilliant and completely out of left field understanding of where the Scream franchise could have gone if the creators had been brave enough to go there...

This time around, Neglify has turned his attention to the original 90's slasher classic and given it a makeover the likes of which you would never have expected. In Scream: The Giallo Cut, Neglify has combined his great love of classic Italian horror with his favourite modern example of the horror genre, in one of the most successfull mashup fanmix edits yet to appear on fanedit.org.

Embracing the VHS style completely (the film has been edited from a worn copy of the original VHS home video release), the whole film has a nostalgic quality that took me right back to what it felt like to watch scary movies as a kid/teenager. It's a gimmick for sure, but it works so effectively here, and really helps sell the style/tone/feel that Neglify was shooting for.

The music replacement works a treat, and is genuinly creepy! I've had Goblin's music stuck in my head for days, and was surprised at how organically it fit the material.

I was really enthralled by this edit from beginning to end, and know that fans of the Scream series are going to absolutely love this thing. The addition of the flashbacks/ flashed boobs and sex scene was also hilarious, expertly integrated into the movie.

As far as the technical aspects go, full marks to Neglify for committing to converting the original VHS into a digital format. It's obviously not intended to look perfect, it's intended to look shitty. And on that basis, I give the audio/visual quality 10/10, as the VHS stylings really added to the experience overall. The editing is top notch (those who have tried mashups know how difficult and frustrating it can be), and enjoyment-wise, it was one of the most fun edits I have had the pleasure of watching.

If you only watch one Italian Horror/Scream movie mashup this year, make sure it's this one.

well done Neglify
10/10

Congratulations, Neglify, for completing this edit! Looking forward to watch it.

I loved the second set of artwork, a nice throwback to the videocassette inlays of old.

JetSetWilly said:
I loved the second set of artwork, a nice throwback to the videocassette inlays of old.

Me too, even if the front is in Spanish and not in Italian. Should be e la partecipazione di Drew Barrymore.

/Grammar Nazi mode off.

^ Dwight, did you read the back, and if so were there any typo's there? PM me if you want. :)

Rogue-theX said:
^ Dwight, did you read the back, and if so were there any typo's there? PM me if you want. :)

I'm actually not fluent enough in Italian to spot everything. Still, there are a couple goofs I could spot at first sight. May I ask if you speak the language, or did you just do an automatic translation?

Typos and mis-translations make this all the more authentic to me.

I kinda wanted this edit to feel like something you would find at a garage sale.

Neglify said:
I kinda wanted this edit to feel like something you would find at a garage sale.

The rules clearly state that it's strictly forbidden to buy or sell a fane... oh.

Rebue, posted on ImofoDB:

I just got time-machined. This edit took me back to the '70s and early '80s and gave this little hunk o' postmodernism a patina of, um, well, modernism. . . of an early modern flavor.

VHS-style screen-bending ugliness, schlocky horror movie music, rough-looking scene intercuts—all these elements blend together wonderfully to create the feel of something from another era.

Another brilliant feature: the lack of DVD features. It plays like a tape, without chapter stops. Want to rewind or fast forward? Do it the old-fashioned way. (Or else Ghost Face will be pissed.)

The original was a fun movie to begin with, and Neglify's adherence to a certain vision gives us another way to appreciate this seminal bit of pop culture.

Dwight Fry said:
I'm actually not fluent enough in Italian to spot everything. Still, there are a couple goofs I could spot at first sight. May I ask if you speak the language, or did you just do an automatic translation?

Online translator, with a back translator to see if it worked or not. I don't speak Italian, lol.

Loved it! Great work, Neg.

Two critiques:
The audio levels were too much for me, luckily i watched it in the day so i didn't bother the neibhours, but it was too loud in scary/action-y scenes. I don't like a lot of dynamic range, but no big deal, didn't spoil it for me, but its something to think about in the future.
SPOILER ALERT:
Not sure if this was even possible, but the photo/news broadcast with photo of Sydney's mother should have (imo) been adjusted to incorporate the image of the woman from the added flashbacks for continuity's sake, they work great but would have been even better with that adjustment.
I liked the boobies.

This one's fun as hell, RECOMENDED!

Thank you for the reviews ssj and Rogue!

And yeah, there's no spoiler option on IFDB.

Back
Top Bottom