• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Matrix Revolutions: The Epic Edition

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MREE_Front.jpg
“This is the One.”

a TRUE FANEDIT by GeminiGod

The ultimate Matrix experience, bringing Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions together into one streamlined epic edition that remains true to the universe as the Wachowski brothers originally conceived it, while delivering a complete and engaging story.

Original film name The Matrix Reloaded & The Matrix Revolutions
Film studio name Warner Bros
Film release date 2003
Original runtime 138 minutes (Reloaded) & 129 minutes (Revolutions)
Fanedit release date May 2011
New runtime 172 minutes
Amount of time cut/added 95minutes cut/~3 minutes of new scenes added (made from existing theatrical footage)

INTENTION:
To create a high quality movie that honors the Wachowski brothers while simultaneously delivering a seamless story that works and engages the audience from beginning to end.

EDIT DETAILS:
I have held a love for storytelling since my earliest years when my brother and I would stay up late deconstructing a movie we had watched. Who doesn’t love a good story? But it is one thing to enjoy a story and another to understand what makes a story enjoyable.

There is no set of movies I have spent more time deconstructing than the Matrix movies. They are plush with great philosophy, action, and science fiction. The story is set in one of the most original universes to have been created in our lifetime. The ideas it presented have forever changed movie-making and the public consciousness. It was a franchise that defined a generation, and yet, unlike Star Wars, the franchise is dead (where’s my Matrix TV show!!). Few people even bother to watch the original movies anymore.

Why? Well, we all know why in a nutshell. Revolutions sucked. Some very talented faneditors have succeeded at fixing certain elements of Revolutions but always at the cost of other elements. Such efforts thus far have metaphorically consisted of amputating an infected animal's leg so it can limp on rather than finding the right combination of antibiotics to cure the whole animal.

The key lies in the story. I have long believed that if one can fix the story, then everything else that people generally fixate on falls into place. I have great respect for the Wachowski brothers. Such artists that demonstrate talent should be respected, but such artists also need to respect their own art which invariably takes on a life of its own. The story speaks back, and when the artist doesn't listen, Matrix Revolutions is what results.

This fanedit attempts to be true, first to the story, and second to the Wachowski brothers and fans.

The Goals:
1) Deliver a story that someone who has never seen the original movies can follow from beginning to end, find to be enjoyable, thought provoking, and engaging.
2) Deliver a movie that is of high technical quality and can look good on people’s bookshelves and in their home theaters for many years to come.
3) Deliver a movie that both my college screenwriting professor and the Wachowski brothers might respect.

This edit also includes some bonus Animatrix content accessible from the main menu. The 2nd Renaissance has a small edit that combines parts 1 & 2 together. The Flight of the Osiris is presented unedited in its entirety. It is highly recommended that you watch this bonus material first for the complete viewing experience. I hope that this enhances the overall viewing experience not only because of the extra content but because it helps to reset your expectations. I hope it helps to get you excited again about just how much potential this universe has to offer and to come at this edition with fresh eyes as if you are watching it for the first time. If you can manage on this level, I believe you will be very pleased with the results of the feature film.

CUTLIST:
Rather than discussing specific cuts, which are too many to list and some difficult to describe (due to re-ordering of sequences), I will briefly outline the guiding principles behind the edits I made. *SPOILER WARNING*: Some of the major edits made may be implied to those familiar with the movies.

1) It takes more than cuts to fix this movie without creating major story gaps. Thus two new scenes and one highly modified scene have been created that represents approximately 3 minutes of new scenes (made from existing theatrical footage).

2) The key to the tension throughout the story, the hinge, if you will, that the entire story arc rests upon is Zion. Zion cannot be removed and it cannot suck. The tension from the first movie is derived from Neo succeeding or failing in becoming the One. The tension in the sequels is derived from Zion rising or falling.

3) Both Reloaded and Revolutions are one to-be-continued movie. I do not believe this was necessary other than to milk the audience for a 2nd movie, nor do I believe they originally had enough material for two movies. I believe that many of the worst plot points and sub-plots arose from this decision to make two movies instead of one as (I suspect) the first draft was originally written to be.

4) The pressure to include a big mind-blowing plot twist, like existed in Matrix 1, drove the creators to fabricate an ill-conceived plot twist for the 2nd & 3rd movies that leads the story astray from the way it was originally conceived and should have remained.

5) The death of the original actress, Gloria Foster, who played the Oracle is unfortunate, but her change of appearance is explained and her scenes with Neo are vital to his character arc (although highly edited to remove unimportant or bad dialogue!).

6) Less is more, right up until it comes at the cost of dramatic tension, good storytelling, and effective characters! (Ex: I’ll take the extended versions of Lord of the Rings over the theatrical any day. Conversely I’ll take a swift kick to the head over the Star Wars prequel theatrical releases any day even though the basic story arc is good!)

7) Neo is the One. This should be quite clear at the end of Matrix 1. Humanity is facing a possible extinction. It should not be surprising or unusual to expect some religious connotations pertaining to his character or the story in general. It fits the story being told (although toned down a bit in this edit).

icon_cool.gif
I love me some good action, but I also love me some good pacing.

9) Philosophy is our friend, unless it stands in conflict with any of these other guiding rules.

Revolutions was a letdown, but it held such promise, and there are so many redeeming aspects to be found in both Reloaded & Revolutions. I hope this edit helps to reveal the diamond in the rough.

SPECIAL FEATURES
Bonus Animatrix content:
The 2nd Renaissance
Flight of the Osiris

Feature Film commentary track from Geminigod discussing specific changes, general thoughts, and all things Matrix related.

RELEASE INFORMATION
DL DVD
AVCHD
SL Blu-ray (coming soon)

Tech Info:
All video comes from the Ultimate Matrix Collection on blu-ray. This video was painstakingly preserved losslessly throughout the editing process.

All audio comes from the Ultimate Matrix Collection on blu-ray, plus the complete audio scores for all three Matrix movies. All audio is 5.1 surround and was edited losslessly. The sound was carefully balanced and encoded with dolby digital ac-3 Pro to ensure proper levels and a dynamic range. Ideally playback should be decoded by something that can do dolby digital decoding. DVD and AVCHD audio were encoded at a bitrate of 448kbps. Blu-ray at 640 kbps.

Format details:
DVD: Down-scaled from HD source to DL DVD size. Visual appearance is unquestionably superior in quality to the studio DVD releases. (Note: It is highly recommended that you use ImgBurn to burn to disc. There is only one good place to split the layers on the DL disc.)

AVCHD: presented in 1080p. It is the same size as the DVD version but looks almost as good as blu-ray. What more can you ask for? (A readme file is included with the ISO image for guidance on optimal viewing.)

Blu-Ray: Presented in 1080p at a near-lossless bitrate of 15Mbps that fits onto a SL blu-ray disc. This video has been encoded using sophisticated filters that required >2 days of encoding time. The video has been cleaned beyond levels the studio ever achieved to remove almost all of the grain still present in many scenes while retaining detail sharpness. This may take a while to download, but for those who care, the movie is unlikely to ever get more visually perfect looking than this. (A readme file is included with the ISO image for guidance on optimal viewing.)

Software used
(probably not a complete list):
Sony Vegas Pro 10
DVD Architect Pro 5.2
After Effects 5.5
Sound Forge Audio Studio 10
AnyDVDHD
TSmuxer
DgDecoderNV
Avisynth
VirtualDub
MeGui
HCencoder
ImgBurn

SPECIAL NOTES/THANKS
Stankpac helped review an early draft with some good feedback and has served as an occasional sounding board for a year now.
Captain Khajiit patiently educated and assisted me in producing the amazing looking DVD encode of this movie.
Boon and Doctor M provided some indirect inspiration with their edits of this movie.

Thanks to many others who have offered support and expressed excitement regarding this 5-month labor of love. I hope that you enjoy.

Thanks for sharing geminigod.
Just about to watch your edit.
Will give you a bit of feedback tommorow.

lpd said:
Will give you a bit of feedback tommorow.
Hopefully at least 300 words of feedback in the form of an approval review <wink wink, knudge knudge>. :D

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I look forward to seeing if the edit lives up to the (largely self-generated) hype. ;)

Frink, don't knock the marketing machine. Salesmen have souls too, even if the bastards did make me waste my time and money watching Green Hornet. :)

Don't get me wrong, I've been dying for an HD Matrix Edit. I believe I asked Doctor M about it some time ago and he had no interest in it, so you are my next best hope ;)

Forgive me for asking this if it's in your OP (only skimmed, guilty as charged) but what is your take on the action? Did you trim a bunch of it? My opinion is that the action is where much of the fun is in Reloaded, and I loved that Doctor M didn't touch it. Revolutions, on the other hand, had way too much of an infantry we didn't know or care about.

I definitely treated the action in reloaded with a gentler hand then Revolutions, which is entirely re-paced. If I did my job right, hopefully you will really enjoy the reloaded action but not even realize anything is different unless you compare closely to the original. The only reloaded action sequence *SPOILER!* that was left completely untouched is the Neo fight with Marovingian's henchmen in the big mansion room. That choreography is just too beautiful to touch in my opinion. I rank that right up there with some stuff in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

geminigod said:
I definitely treated the action in reloaded with a gentler hand then Revolutions, which is entirely re-paced. If I did my job right, hopefully you will really enjoy the reloaded action but not even realize anything is different unless you compare closely to the original. The only reloaded action sequence *SPOILER!* that was left completely untouched is the Neo fight with Marovingian's henchmen in the big mansion room. That choreography is just too beautiful to touch in my opinion. I rank that right up there with some stuff in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Agreed on that. I haven't read your original post, for the most part i dont like spoilers and i like to watch a fanedit without knowing the cutlist and changes made ahead of time. But i would gladly take neo's fight with merovingians henchmen over the burly brawl (i think that's the nickname for the neo vs. 1000 agent smiths). Just my personal opinion. I too will be watching your edit soon. Watched the "In The Beginning" and "Prologue" sections today, i haven't watch any of the animatrix stuff in quite a long time so it was nice to see.

Congrats on releasing geminigod, I will be downloading the AVCHD during the next couple of days and hopefully get some assistance with the burning in time for watching sometime in the near future. And I will try my best to keep comparisons to the other mentioned edit you know about to myself when I write my review.

havok1977 said:
I will be downloading the AVCHD during the next couple of days and hopefully get some assistance with the burning

Easy, it's an .iso file, so you just burn that to a dual layer DVD with imgburn.

Ok,
So I finished watching this yesterday, the DVD version that is (great extras by the way)
although I've yet to watch it from beginning to end in one go,
and I'm not in a position to approve anything (not enough posts),
so I won't be writing a full review now.

Suffice to say:

This is definitely the best fanedit of the matrix sequels I've watched.
I enjoyed it very much, and technically it's flawless.
Had I not known it was a fanedit I never would have guessed,
and both the image quality and sound quality was superb throughout.

Storywise it's a very cohesive and enjoyable take on the matrix sequels,
which is saying quite alot since neither the original movies
nor most of the other fanedits manage as much.

I think for me this fanedit is what I was hoping dangarats matrix 2.0 edit was going to be,
and it seems to follow largely the same narrative structure,
but with none of the technical problems, and, well, more content,
both emotionally and logically, making it feel much more complete.

If anything I think you kept a little too much,
especially in the action scenes from reloaded. The freeway comes to mind.
But also the rave for instance seemed too long,
which sort of reduced the emotional effect of Morpheus speech.

If you don't like action scenes you're probably not going to like this edit.
There seems to be a lot of clever rescoring going on
which makes the action scenes much more immersive then they were in the original movies,
but they don't feel any shorter.

Seems like a small thing considering how much you did with this edit,
but it's enough to put off part of your potential audience.
(The part that don't really like action movies but liked the matrix anyway)

Anyway,
thanks for a great edit =)

emphatic said:
Easy, it's an .iso file, so you just burn that to a dual layer DVD with imgburn.

Assuming you have a blu-ray player to play it back on. I discovered the hard way that PS3 is retarded with AVCHD and won't provide any menu support. This is detailed in a readme file included with the image, but the other way you could watch that version is to download the free clone drive app and mount the image on your cpu. http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html. This is pointless though if you don't have a media play that has full support for blu-ray. For example Media Player classic won't provide menu support either. If this all sounds problematic, the good news is the DVD looks good too!

If anybody knows of any good free blu-ray media players, please post here. Thanks!

Thanks Herowoac for being the first reviewer! Great feedback. I believe you can still paste your review into the .info review page even though you can't "approve" it... though I don't see any way to rate the movie. Maybe just best to leave the review here for now.

emphatic said:

Oh I know that, I just dont own a Dual Layer capable burner; so I'm always bugging my brother who has one at work to do it for me... yes yes you may call me cheap because they are not that expensive, but I so rarely need to burn DL that I don't see why i would shell out the cash I allot for entertainment on it rather than say new blu ray movies or comics.

And for a great blu player that does wonders in terms of quality, plays anything you throw at it and does some great upscaling standard def content, including support for both PAL and NTSC and more I highly recommend Oppo's products. And I have no association whatsoever with the company.

I don't have a Blu-ray player either. I just mounted it with Virtual Clone Drive, then copied the mt2s files I wanted (just the movie) to my HTPC to play it back in MediaPortal. Sadly I won't have time to see it this week, I'm watching The Matrix now in preparation (never seen the first in HD before) and it doesn't feel dated at all. :) I hope to catch this edit Monday.

Before I start I must tell you I'm a massive fan of the originals.
I watched your SD NTSC edit:In my opinion your technical work is good, most of your cuts were made well, and audio blending and cutting the same. Your effects work was well done but as a whole it just didnt work for me. One or two of your major scenes cut to people in different positions doing different things back and forth, I felt very jarred at certain times with these cuts within these scenes. I didnt like the ending, it didnt give the audience a finalle for the hero's. The changing of a major scene from the original I feel left some vital information out which effected the rest of the story for me. Also there were characters left in the edit which played a part but now have no meaning or back story at'all .

Technicaly very good.
As a story and the changes you made just didnt work for me.
Thanks for sharing, sorry I cant be more positive

lpd said:
I'm a massive fan of the originals.

No worries. This story definitely diverges from the original. Thanks for checking it out! I am curious about your thoughts on the plot hole you mentioned. Perhaps you could PM your thoughts about that?

REVIEW FOR APPROVAL

Generally speaking, I enjoyed the Matrix sequels. Sure, they weren't as good as the original, but few sequels are. I never really bothered with any edits until now because hey, why watch an edit of a film I like in its original form? Then Geminigod came along, with promises of an epic finale and so on. I was intrigued, and since I had the time to spare, being on summer break from university, I decided I'd check it out.

And I was absolutely impressed. About an hour and forty minutes into it I asked myself where my rubber stamp was. Ambition is the name of this game, and it's safe to say that Geminigod is winning (duh).

VIDEO:
Absolutely stunning. The Blu-ray source (and the further clean up by the editor) really shines through even on the DL DVD version. Gem also did some VFX work for a few bits (no, I won't tell you which) and his work was very well done. There was only one shot that was a bit off due to color correction, but it was a necessary evil.
10/10

AUDIO:
Lacking the proper equipment for a true 5.1 experience I can't really say how the surround was, but it sounded good, though I did feel a few times the music was over powering the dialogue and sound effects, though I think that may be a flaw of the original and not this edit.
10/10

THE EDIT

The opening was very well edited, flowing from the Revolutions code opening through to the Reloaded one. The title "The Epic Edition" was a bit awkward...perhaps if it had been in the Matrix font it would have fit a bit better, but hey, it was still good.

While several semi-major scenes were excised, I didn't really notice until about twenty minutes after the cut bit would have taken place. All of the cuts were well made, though there was ONE I didn't agree with at the end in terms of dialogue, but it was a minor quibble. There was one flash frame during a cut in the rave sequence at the beginning, but the funny thing is, I couldn't recall what had been cut. There were a couple awkward fades elsewhere, but nothing overly distracting.

Now, for the story. Gem did a great job condensing the two films to a slightly-less-than-three hour long experience. There are a few spots near the middle where he began to use blend the events of Revolutions and Reloaded, and it worked wonderfully. Gone is the silly plotline if Neo being comatose in the Matrix and everything related to that. While he DOES have a noted change in demeanor after the Neb is destroyed, it fits with what he has to do. Is it perfect? No, but if you pretend that you've never seen the original versions, it works.

The biggest issue is that, the way the story has been restructured, a number of characters don't really get an emotional climax, or one at all. It can be left to interpretation, but something would have been nice. Though, this is more a fault to the source material not really having much room for alternate takes, but Gem did the best with what he had to work with.

I don't want to write a novel on what works and what doesn't, but suffice it to say that this edit is brilliant, and a definite improvement on the sequels.
8/10

THE DVD:
The disc is simple enough: the movie, chapter selection, and two bonus features: The Final Flight of the Osiris as the prologue, and The Second Renaissance from the Animatrix as "In The Beginning." As with the main feature, the quality here is excellent.
10/10

IN SUM
I really enjoyed watching this, and as it charged towards its climax, it felt as if I was watching a new film entirely. The few faults are easy to overlook, and on the whole it is an enjoyable experience.

Now, this is the part of the review where I normally give it a rating out of ten, which I will do, but first:
approved.png

Also, 9/10

Congratulations Geminigod, I can't wait to see what you bring to us in the future. :)

Congrats Geminigod,
this edit should normally hit the main page next week.

Back
Top Bottom